IGNORED

animal collective - merriweather post pavilion

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic. Feel like it and Person Pitch help usher in a lot of music that (chillwave, witch house, glo-fi, etc.) balanced pop and experimental nicely. 

AnCo has never quite sucked me in overall, perhaps one day some of their stuff will click as it has with others. That is beyond Panda Bear's solo stuff. Any AnCo song I dig seems close to his overall direction. "My Girls" is a good example of that: it's pretty straightforward (Frankie Knuckles riff) and could easily be a Panda Bear song outright.

Strawberry Jam is definitely my favorite with Merriweather coming in at a close second. Anything afterward kind of lost me though. Maybe I should give their latest stuff another shot.

Do you mean Tangerine Reef?

A quick look, I guess I've never heard Live @ 9:30 or Painting With either..... anything good there?

Jesus I remember when centipede hz came out.... that was 6-7 years ago?!

I dunno, I know I'm in the minority probably but I enjoyed Centipede Hz almost as much as MPP.....

Haven't heard their latest though.

I actually like Centipede Hz a lot more than MPP, although MPP has grown on me. At first I was disappointed by how brickwalled it is, compared to the sparse sound of the early live versions. But in hindsight i should have known it would sound like that on the studio recordings: they tend more towards dense noise and chaos with the sparse minimal recordings now in the minority (they're also better at the louder stuff in general).

centipede is pretty good yeah, not their best but still enjoyable, a bit overproduced

painting with like jules says goes a bit overboard with the voice phasing thing (I dont know what the proper name of that technique is), they did describe it as their 'Ramones' album so it kinda makes sense that it's a bit of a two-note album, I still like it though and I like that they're trying out different styles even if they miss

and tangerine reef is ok, I dunno, Ive enough of their weird shit with their early albums, dont need more of it

Do you mean Tangerine Reef?

A quick look, I guess I've never heard Live @ 9:30 or Painting With either..... anything good there?

Jesus I remember when centipede hz came out.... that was 6-7 years ago?!

sorry, yea I meant Painting With. I haven’t even checked out Tangerine Reef. Not really even interested. I do hope their next one is back to form though.

awe I'm disappointed to hear that! When I realized (today lol) that I missed THREE albums of theirs I thought I had a psychadelic weekend ahead of me.

bummed. I'll still give em a go though. :shrug:

This album was cool and their live gig supporting it was excellent at the time, but it was just before I got into 4/4 dance music (into idm much longer) and I imagine if I listened to it now its maximalist, sample-based repertoire would sound shit. 

But I will hold it in a good place by hopefully never hearing it again. 

awe I'm disappointed to hear that! When I realized (today lol) that I missed THREE albums of theirs I thought I had a psychadelic weekend ahead of me.

don’t get me wrong, there’s some good stuff on Painting With. Especially when it’s new. It just gets monotonous after awhile but I played the shit out of it when I first got it. Def worth exploring. Maybe a i’ll check out that reef album. Im not too keen on AC with no Panda.

don’t get me wrong, there’s some good stuff on Painting With. Especially when it’s new. It just gets monotonous after awhile but I played the shit out of it when I first got it. Def worth exploring. Maybe a i’ll check out that reef album. Im not too keen on AC with no Panda.

I've never been able to really get into AC but Panda's solo stuff is the bee's knees. Can't imagine AC without him tbh.

Archived