IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Brown - 6/10 - Michael Caine is a cool dude, I dig him and he did well in this film, which I would call his Gran Torino, or Get Carter 2009, though it doesn't hold up to either of them. This film started off strong; it was meticulous, nicely detailed with good cinematography, but the latter half fell to shit...a slab of over cooked rib roast, it was, forcing us to endlessly chew through endless BS that contradicted it's strong start. Worth a watch if you are in the mood for a vigilante flick that you'll forget about as soon as it ends.

tron

boring. fell asleep.

im shocked this is all you have to say, for such a tech geek at least you can appreciate the insane amount of work put into the special effects for the time.

a lot of the stuff that looks 'CGI' is actually completely cell animation, they used a lot of interesting tricks that nobody in hollywood has the balls to do anymore.

it also has the last good Wendy Carlos film score.

Someone mentioned Tron to me just the other day, seems like I've missed out on this old gem of a film, setting solar sails for the piratebay then

fixed

im shocked this is all you have to say, for such a tech geek at least you can appreciate the insane amount of work put into the special effects for the time.

a lot of the stuff that looks 'CGI' is actually completely cell animation, they used a lot of interesting tricks that nobody in hollywood has the balls to do anymore.

Sure, the animation looks fresh, even today. But it's possible to do cutting edge visuals and have an entertaining plot. Star Wars, The Matrix, Avatar, etc.

Also, Tron seems to be full of little plot holes. Some dangerous thing shows up, and seems to be completely forgotten the next scene.

"If those grid bugs get us, we've had it." And then we never see the grid bugs again. There's no grid bug attack, no almost falling off the ship, with grid bugs jumping up at them.

Another example: They build up a little tension with the ship being derezzed, then just resolve it with a couple lines of dialog. "Do something with these controls." and "I'm on it". There's no action. In the next scene, they're fully in control of the ship, and heading for the MCP.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Explorers - Pretty lame beyond this little animation at the start. I don't know how I could of enjoyed this years ago.

TY61n.png

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Shutter Island, despite the fact that Leo Dicrapreo annoys me for a few slightly undeserving reasons and that I'm not particularly stoked on thrillers like this. It was a pretty damn good flick, I was expecting a more of a mind fuck to the twist but I'm glad it wasn't some ridiculous teh aliens don't likes teh water m night shammalallallan twist. good movie

Shutter Island 7/10

watched the first ep of the corner...

slower pace and less overlapping storylines than the wire but makes up for it in sheer grit and the depressing reality of an addict's life.

there's tonnes of familiar faces from the wire... they all seem to play lowlifes in the corner, and polisticians or police in the wire.

Guest Z_B_Z

All the dexter talk made me check out the first season.. it kicked some ass.. think I like it better than breaking bad..

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

All the dexter talk made me check out the first season.. it kicked some ass.. think I like it better than breaking bad..

not sure about that.

dexter kinda drew us in slowly. we watched 1 episode and then 2 months later watched the next one. then we watched 5 episodes a day down to 2 or 3 these days. actually season 3 is slow as its not on netflix instant so we're waiting for DVDs in the post. how stupid.

Guest Al Hounos

Stranger than Paradise - Dull, monotone hungarian girl visits dull, monotone NYC to see her boring hipster cousin, meets his boring little friend, and they go on a lame-ass roadtrip. at the end they come into a lot of boring money and nothing happens.

fuck this SUUUCCCKEDDD

0/10

Guest Mirezzi

Stranger than Paradise - Dull, monotone hungarian girl visits dull, monotone NYC to see her boring hipster cousin, meets his boring little friend, and they go on a lame-ass roadtrip. at the end they come into a lot of boring money and nothing happens.

fuck this SUUUCCCKEDDD

0/10

As a pretty big fan of Jarmusch, I have to agree with you.

Honestly, his latest film, The Limits of Control, might be worse. I do not use the term pretentious lightly and this film is one of the most pretentious I've ever seen.

Just watched Ghost Dog, for the first time for some reason. Classic Good Jarmusch/10.

ive decided to make my way through the show 'six feet under' which, i oddly havent seen. its good. about as good as my current favorite, 'breaking bad', but it doesnt appraoch the holy trinity of sopranos/deadwood/the wire...

other than that - shutter island - 7/10 - incredibly well made from a technical standpoint but predictable. did anyone else catch the snippet from enos 'ambient 4 - on land'?

Haha, yes. It couldn't have been much more than a 5 second sound clip, and I sort of doubted what I was hearing for most of those 5 seconds. I think, though I'm not certain, it was during an overhead shot of the metal stairs/platforms in the max-security ward. Saw it a few weeks back, so memory is foggy.

Guest beatfanatic

Crazy Heart - 7/10

a bit predictable and cliched but jeff bridges is amazing in it and deserved that oscar.

fuck this SUUUCCCKEDDD

0/10

haha, I agree with this review totally, and yet I loved this movie. Hilarity throughout and I loved some of the shots.

Just watched Barry Lyndon for the first time. Interesting film, I kept wondering what inspired Kubrick to make it, as the story is pretty "unsexy" apart from the historical setting. Guess that was the point. I liked it. 8/10.

Just watched Barry Lyndon for the first time. Interesting film, I kept wondering what inspired Kubrick to make it, as the story is pretty "unsexy" apart from the historical setting. Guess that was the point. I liked it. 8/10.

I think it's one of Kubricks most underrated movies. It's slow but oddly mesmerizing.

i absolutely love Barry Lyndon, the visuals and background shots are mesmerizing. I kept trying to find matte painting flaws while watching it until i realized that they weren't mattes at all but just beautifully shot, sun set perfectly in the sky landscapes.

the last duel scene is one of the best scenes Kubrick has ever done the juxtaposition of the gentlemanly rules and the dark scenario playing out is very effective

Just watched the first four episodes or so from Breaking Bad, I love it

*laughs* It becomes a bit of a trainwreck toward the end of S2, the finale of S2 is infuriating.

Yeah, noticed it's slightly going downhill after the first few episodes of season 2, shame.

Archived