IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

actually, i feel like i blew my load explaining that i was joking.

fuck this thread

The list was pretty bad, but not bad enough, and very much the sort of list an average useless WATMMer would come up with...so...

Olive_branch.png

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BIUTIFUL - very very good. very very sad 9/10

Thanks... grabbing this now. I love me some Javier Bardem. Plus Inarritu has his moments...:emotawesomepm9:

BIUTIFUL - very very good. very very sad 9/10

Thanks... grabbing this now. I love me some Javier Bardem. Plus Inarritu has his moments...:emotawesomepm9:

the drama was a bit forced... well, for me, it was enough to make it meh

i mean, you could actually predict the fire...

just watched Seppuku (aka Harakiri) by Masaki Kobayashi. really impressed, 8/10.

everything was so well executed, but i'd still point out the camerawork.

subtle for the most part, but then so dynamic. cool tracking shots, tasteful zooms, brilliant framing.

loved the way the story was handed, it really provided the tension needed for the ending.

nice fake list Rabelais.

Juno kills grandmas with its cuteness.

And what the fuck is wrong There Will Be Blood being one of my favourite films?

Okay Mirezzi, your list, right now!

just watched Seppuku (aka Harakiri) by Masaki Kobayashi. really impressed, 8/10.

everything was so well executed, but i'd still point out the camerawork.

subtle for the most part, but then so dynamic. cool tracking shots, tasteful zooms, brilliant framing.

loved the way the story was handed, it really provided the tension needed for the ending.

It's been ages since I saw harakiri, but I remember it being a great film. One of the best non-Kurosawa samurai flicks.

And what the fuck is wrong There Will Be Blood being one of my favourite films?

you got me, I loved it too, though it's almost more of a guilty pleasure as the plot is arguably a bit too thin, and watching Daniel Day Lewis chew scenery is the main attraction. It'd at least get on my top 20 list, if I had one.

God Grew Tired of Us

No doubt you've seen plenty of commercials with skinny, bloated, fly-covered African kids that you can save for less than a dollar a day... Well, this is the story of a few who got on a plane to New York.

Imagine discovering electricity, showers, refrigeration, supermarkets, potato chips, and minimum wage jobs for the first time.

It's hard not to walk away from this documentary with a new perspective on things.

Meek's Cutoff - 7.5/10

Aside from the main theme, the soundtrack was excellent. I think the ending was too jarring for most, but I found it appropriate since it seemed to be a movie about uncertainty.

i really, really want to see that.

just to make some sense of the score, how did you like her other films, pattern ?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

so has anyone seen The Trip with steve coogan & rob brydon? its getting really strong reviews over here.

i never saw the tv series its based on, despite liking coogan, as cock & bull story was unwatchable.

wonderign if i should just watch the series or the film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIQIpC5_wY

Meek's Cutoff - 7.5/10

Aside from the main theme, the soundtrack was excellent. I think the ending was too jarring for most, but I found it appropriate since it seemed to be a movie about uncertainty.

i really, really want to see that.

just to make some sense of the score, how did you like her other films, pattern ?

The only other two I've seen are Old Joy and Wendy and Lucy. I'd give each of those a similar score. I think of those two I prefer Wendy and Lucy. With Old Joy, since it was my first exposure to her work, I kept having this dread that some jarring Haneke-esque event was going to happen. I was almost sure that the guy was going to murder him in the woods. Obviously that isn't the kind of movies Reichardt makes so it was a bit silly to think. Maybe it was conditioning from watching horror movies, when the music cuts out you know something bad is going to happen.

Guest tidbit

so has anyone seen The Trip with steve coogan & rob brydon? its getting really strong reviews over here.

i never saw the tv series its based on, despite liking coogan, as cock & bull story was unwatchable.

were alright, ..midmorningmaters too

were alright, ..midmorningmaters too

the film or the tv show though?

i'm wondering how much difference there is or if its just the tv show thrown together

midmorningmatters was ok yeah. not great but decent

I think it's triff, definitely worth watching. It's basically them two being snarky to each other and trying to outdo each other with impressions, usually with hilarious results. It's got a sort of warmth to it as well which makes it a little unique. It's mouthwatering viewing - no joke.

I don't know about the film, I think that's the show thrown together. Watch the show.

Guest Mirezzi

Okay Mirezzi, your list, right now!

Let's go with...

The Shining

Miller's Crossing

Apu Trilogy

The Shop on Main Street

All That Heaven Allows

Festen

You Can Count On Me

The Mirror

Rules of the Game

The Thin Blue Line

There's ten, Atop, and not one of them will come as a surprise to you!

grabbing episode 1. the stuff i saw on yt peeked my interest.

did anyone else not make it through tristan shandy - cock & bull story?

The Shining

Miller's Crossing

Apu Trilogy

The Shop on Main Street

All That Heaven Allows

Festen

You Can Count On Me

The Mirror

Rules of the Game

The Thin Blue Line

no ET?

Guest Mirezzi

no ET?

You're probably joking, but if I were to include a Spielberg film (which I wouldn't), it would be Empire of the Sun or Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

no ET?

You're probably joking, but if I were to include a Spielberg film (which I wouldn't), it would be Empire of the Sun or Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

i guess i was looking for some film from your childhood that had such good memories that being 30 and rewatching it and all its flaws couldnt knock it from your top ten.

goonies perhaps

home alone lol

et

jaws

national lampoons vacation

fletch

or maybe some of your choices are that sort of film but you were a weird kid

grabbing episode 1. the stuff i saw on yt peeked my interest.

did anyone else not make it through tristan shandy - cock & bull story?

i actually really liked tristram shandy. although it was my first introduction to brydon. Also it's impossible to make a movie about that book but they did a pretty fucking good job.

Archived