Apu Trilogy

The Shop on Main Street

All That Heaven Allows

Festen

You Can Count On Me

The Mirror

Rules of the Game

The Thin Blue Line

There's ten, Atop, and not one of them will come as a surprise to you!

yeah, I just like to have things reiterated. Wonderful list by the way. Some on there I need to see. **copies and pastes list**

The Shining over 2001? you are so particular.

BTS2001k&cbig.jpg?1308307707

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

For its moments, absolutely, but the sum of its parts? Like Malick at his worst, 2001 is Kubrick when his reach exceeds his grasp. I'm a very tough nut to crack when it comes to film as philosophy though.

Valhalla Rising: Reminded me of that really awkward long-form interview with Gaahl where Gaahl just stared at the interviewer for 20 unblinking minutes after taking him in on a trek up to his ancestral mountain cabin/10

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

grabbing episode 1. the stuff i saw on yt peeked my interest.

did anyone else not make it through tristan shandy - cock & bull story?

i actually really liked tristram shandy. although it was my first introduction to brydon. Also it's impossible to make a movie about that book but they did a pretty fucking good job.

i tried to watch it on a plane. maybe that was my mistake.

so i watched episode 1-3 of the trip. it was ok. more sad than funny, especially with the sad piano outro music leaving me a little depressed afterwards. i don't really understand how they made this into a film that is getting really good reviews. my only thought is that perhaps when you are a film critic you see lots of shitty movies and this isn't really a movie so it stands out and you like it.

it makes me wonder how much of a dick coogan really is. i'm guessing he's playign up his foibles/insecurities. or maybe he's playing up his public persona and really he is a nice guy.

aahh haaaa

the trip (the series is all I've seen) doesn't quite come off for me. It fails to make clear if this is something ala curb or extras where known celebs/actors are playing twisted versions of themselves, or if this is really a heartfelt meditation on what it is to be a somewhat known personality. One is quite funny and the other is uninteresting to me, at least in this context. It seems like it switches back and forth between the two but it doesn't quite let the audience know when it's going to be one or the other. also the kitchen behind the scenes filler is irritating.

but the entire show is worth it for coogan's liam neeson. :yeah:

it's Диснейленд, chris

the changeling - 7/10, most of it for the cinematography though, it kinda went goofier and goofier towards the end, excellent first half though.

the faculty - :cerious:

tampopo - 9/10

drifting clouds - 9/10, i was a scandinavian in the previous life, i love this.

Guest Mirezzi

the changeling - 7/10, most of it for the cinematography though, it kinda went goofier and goofier towards the end, excellent first half though.

Agreed, very much.

Guest Mirezzi

i guess i was looking for some film from your childhood that had such good memories that being 30 and rewatching it and all its flaws couldnt knock it from your top ten.

goonies perhaps

home alone lol

et

jaws

national lampoons vacation

fletch

or maybe some of your choices are that sort of film but you were a weird kid

I wasn't a very weird kid. I still have a top 10 or even top 100 movies from childhood that I don't bring out the heavy critical guns for as an adult.

Like, anything Joe Dante or John Hughes. I can watch Gremlins or Weird Science on repeat.

this is tough and i'm pretty sure tomorrow it will no longer be the same list...

mulholland drive

primer

notre jour viendra

mind game

irreversible

Nice list, I need to see two of those, Notre Jour Viendra and Mind Game.

I thought Mind Game was interesting but also really weird. Like most Japanese anime, it seems perched uneasily between being a fascinating, mature exploration of metaphysical themes, and a comic-book geek's big-titted wet dream.

Some Japanese anime director should make a film that is just a big-titted robot doing a striptease while reading Kant, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard...for two hours. It's the natural next step.

Lost in Translation 9/10

Something depressing and sad about the film, but it gives off a warm feel. Bill Murray was fantastic. Johansson played the best role I've seen her in.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

midnight in paris

really good. except the very end (see my thread on imdbmb). apart from that I really enjoyed it. even with owen wilson's whispering. he played a decent woody. infact the most woody thing he did was wear a tweed jacket and tuck his shirts in. he didnt really try and copy him like some others do. i missed lots of literary references due to being a neanderthal.

on our way out some women said to her husband "wasn't as good as match point" lolz

super 8

this was everything i thought it would be based on the trailer. it felt very familar. a mixture of ET, the gate, stand by me and lens flare. i actually really enjoyed it. could have used more alien perhaps and i felt more friendship/chemistry from the kids in the 80s films it was referencing. that blue fucking lens flare line effect is ridiculous

super-8-lens-flares-2.jpg

Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence

Crap. Far too shiny looking, it's a film not a computer game for fudge's sake. Humdrum story that failed to grab my attention on any level. They should never have made a sequel or a series of the original which was brilliant.

Corner Of Your Eye

Despite it's all around amateur production / acting etc. this film has it's heart in the right place. Very tongue in cheek Lynchian stuff.

Akira

Still holds up after untold viewings. My favourite anime alongside Paranoia Agent.

The Second Coming

Decent little mini series where Christopher Eccleston is the second coming. Well paced and entertaining stuff. Interesting philosophical / religious angles. Plus has the added bonus of being the source of amongst others, Orbitals "You lot!" rant.

Guest Sprigg

Eden Log: 6.5/10

Thriller/ sci-fi movie about an amnesiac who wakes up underground and naked, and attempts to go up to the surface of a bunch of fucked up tunnels made by some corporation known as Eden Log, and ends up... idunno. It involved him, a girl, a tree, mankinds deep animalistic tendencies, and lots and lots of black and grey. Stylistically it was pretty awesome, but the story seemed disjointed and didn't really make any sense.

To quote an Amazon review: "If an interminably long-feeling movie centered around an amnesiac man groping around in near darkness in an environment filled with broken plastic junk, tubes-n-wires, and columns of tree roots whilst pursued by cheesy looking humanoid monsters sounds appealing then this movie is for you! "

Archived