IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Just watched Biutiful. Some folks on here recommended it, but I wasn't expecting much as I typically don't like Inarritu. It was so-so, but better than I expected. I find it strange how Inarritu borrows some cinema verite/dogma techniques, but somehow his films still end up feeling contrived, not naturalistic. I think much of this disconnect is due to his melodramatic bent, and also the way he uses music.

That said I liked several things about the film - some of the cinematography was really nice (mmm Barcelona!), and the two unexpected plot twists.

I think Javier Bardem has never moved past his character in No Country, dude just seems creepy now, no matter how much pathos he's trying to evoke. Doesn't matter what he's doing - creepy eyes, creepy half-smile, creepy, creepy, creepy.

7.5/10.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Coalbucket PI

THX-1138. Never watched it before, very odd. Really enjoyable edits and noises and environments but minimal storyline and still fairly hard to follow at certain points. Strange how so much of the dialogue is partially inaudible, people mumbling over the top of each other and stuff.

Amelie. Haven't seen it for years and it wasn't as great as I remember, she's actually an infuriating hipster. I kept thinking if it was a man stalking a woman like that it would be a really creepy film. It is very funny though and full of good ideas.

edit: oh yeah and Under Siege, brilliant obviously. Some of my favourite movie tits. I'd forgotten how much of Metal Gear Solid 1&2 was lifted wholesale from this.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

somewhere

need to cogitate on this one a little more. i liked the slowness of it. the chemistry was good between father and daughter. chris pontis was erm...in it.

so he was going nowhere at the start (round and round etc) and at the end he is going 'somewhere'. i think she could have represented going somewhere slightly better than just wandering down the road. did the car run out of gas or is it symbolic of leaving his old life behind?

the 2nd film wasn't great, but the series (stand alone complex) is incredible, top-shelf anime. there's a reason it's 8.8/10 on imdb.

Yeah, my dissapointment in SAC came as a shock to me to. It just seemed like a tacky american cop show, animated, with dull contrived stories (plus the "cute" voiced talking robot schtick really annoyed the shit out of me)

Thusly I did not make it through the first boxset, which I have thought about giving another chance since it has been ages.

rubber - lol/wat, kinda liked it though

I was surprised by how much I liked Rubber! Thought it was going to be a silly B-movie full of random with a premise that gets tiresome after ten minutes. There was a surprising amount going on in the story though, with some great dry humour and beautiful photography.

Roxane Mesquida is beautiful too... Mmmmm

rubber - lol/wat, kinda liked it though

I was surprised by how much I liked Rubber! Thought it was going to be a silly B-movie full of random with a premise that gets tiresome after ten minutes. There was a surprising amount going on in the story though, with some great dry humour and beautiful photography.

Roxane Mesquida is beautiful too... Mmmmm

seconded, but it kinda went downhill in the end imo

get him to the greek - 3/10 cant stand that american guy i have no idea what his name is, no idea why I watched it

minority reports - 8/10 hadnt seen it in years, was much better then i remember it to be

the adjustment Bureau - 9/10 i quite liked it, again no idea why but it was enjoyable

paul - 0/10 shit, waste of time

MacGruber - 9/10 some whole hearted lol's

across the universe (the justice documentary) - 7/10 wow. just wow. hard to believe some stuff wasn't just for the camera.

cosmos episodes 1-7 10/10 no reason to say anything at all

Contact - 8/10 interesting, hadnt seen it in ages, watched just because of carl sagan

yeah, I will go with the opposite of all your opinions up there Chris, sorry. ALL EXCEPT FOR COSMOS!

seems like 'The Tree of Life' is certainly going over well.

tumblr_ln9vv68cbJ1qzt5eto1_400.png

lol

Guest Mirezzi

get him to the greek - 3/10 cant stand that american guy i have no idea what his name is, no idea why I watched it

Fuck yeah, Jonah Hill is the antichrist of comedy. Utterly useless fat shit.

tumblr_ln9vv68cbJ1qzt5eto1_400.png

supaflol

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

was planning on seeing tree of life tonight but its only playing in tiny screens at 3 local places. might as well wait for the dvd as my tv is nearly as big and doesnt cost $28

Guest bitroast

Cars 2.

i love pixar films, but this seems to have no focus or appeal to adults what so ever. not even worth seeing : P

Just watched Super, I was intrigued coz it was recommended by both Atop and disparaissant, which is an interesting double seal of approval. Great film! If anything I thought it didn't go far enough, I would have liked it to push the realism even further - despite having moments where the violence was handled realistically, it ultimately had a rather hollywood climax. But I guess that was ok, in fact it might have been better as it kept the audience right on the edge of rooting for Frank and feeling uneasy. So much better than a lot of the other stuff I've watched recently. 8.5 or 9/10

Guest Mirezzi

Fuck yeah, Jonah Hill is the antichrist of comedy. Utterly useless fat shit.

supaflol

wrong so wrong

You're not making any sense. From your own link (which I agree with):

“ Seth Rogen's fatter, stupider clone. ” - HawkHerald

Guest Mirezzi

Oh. Okay, cool.

You can have Jonah Hill. I'm not judging you for it. Maybe you're gay for fat ugly cunts or something.

Oh. Okay, cool.

You can have Jonah Hill. I'm not judging you for it. Maybe you're gay for fat ugly cunts or something.

that whole list was made by a pretentious retard, apatow is there, o'brian is there will ferrell :facepalm:

actually, i believe anyone that has a anything to do with comedy is there...

Guest Mirezzi

The list is silly, but what does that have to do with Jonah Hill? He's one of a hundred people on that site.

Are you trying and failing to make an interesting point?

Archived