IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alice. Had to take 3 sittings. What a poor poor product. I can't even say i'm disappointed because i knew it wasn't going to be very good. Well, it's disastrous.

huh, I thought Alice was ok, but maybe that was due to the 3D...ending was weak though

Guest Coalbucket PI

the adjustment bureau - 3/10: meh meh and meh.

Yeah, me too. bit of a strange mess although not entirely unpleasant. Seemed like an hour of love story and half an hour of running in the rain with trilby hats on, and then an 'ending'.

and Alice In Wonderland was shit, the 3D was actually quite unpleasant and the whole thing just pissed me off, should have walked out really

Oh, forgot to mention, i watched Barry Lindon for the first time maybe a week ago.

I now understand all the fuss about the new (bluray) release's aspect ratio - a LOT of thought was put into framing each and every shot.

In any case, 16:9 works (for me, at least) and besides that the movie is beautiful and exemplary in just about every aspect i can think of.

It's a very long movie and we watched it late at night, but I had absolutely no problem staying awake - the protagonist is developed at such a perfect pace!

I wish they still made movies like that.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

MacGruber

probably would have sucked in the cinema but on dvd it really worked for me. low expectations, despite being a big snl fan. i would have prefered if he had more more gadgets, that were really detailed (like mousetrap or something) and failed at the last second after seemingly impossible previous maneuvers, instead of turning to guns and crying

flol at the 1 delete scene too

the adjustment bureau - 3/10: meh meh and meh.

Yeah, me too. bit of a strange mess although not entirely unpleasant. Seemed like an hour of love story and half an hour of running in the rain with trilby hats on, and then an 'ending'.

and Alice In Wonderland was shit, the 3D was actually quite unpleasant and the whole thing just pissed me off, should have walked out really

i was as disappointed with the visuals of alice as i was with the dumb story and characters

i thought it was going to be a little bit more 'alive' feeling .. but the world was so stale and dry and dirty and lifeless , there was nothing going on ever , it was like they were inside a screenshot or something ..

but the world was so stale and dry and dirty and lifeless , there was nothing going on ever , it was like they were inside a screenshot or something ..

this is a good way to describe where a lot of these CGI films go wrong. It's like all the action is going on in a paused world. And the lighting is always like a small stage being lit up, not an open living breathing real place, that you are watching the film to escape to for a time.

exit though the gift shop 3/10

not as good as a remembered it being in fact MBW was 100% more annoying in the 2nd time i saw it.

after.life

lots of ricci tits. liam neeson was awesome as always, didnt finish it. no idea how it ended

tonight i think ill watch bad lieutenant i love werner and still havnt seen the entire film yet,.

everybody i run into tells me to watch 'Exit through the Gift shop' because 'you do hoaxes' . Is the movie just one long hard worked on fake documentary with fake characters? It sounds intriguing

but years ago when i was a total lucid dreaming fag my friends told me 'go watch waking life, you'll love it' and i thought it was pretty shit

moon was about fucking astronauts on the moon, what a piece of shit that thing has been BEATEN TO DEATH SO MANY MOON MOVIES .

huh? besides like a handful of other movies that exist in drastically different time periods of movie history ie moon trap, superman 2 (cause they fight on the moon for a second) and hmm Capricorn one.. having trouble thinking of any other moon centric movies. wait you're being sarcastic right? because there seems to be like 10 movies about terrorists in the united states coming out yearly

i would bet there are more moon movies than there are terrorist ones

maybe, but the moon is a tangible object we can see and have ample proof of it's existence. Terrorism portrayed in today's hollywood film is a fictional device mimicking the official narrative of the 'sleeper cell' myth brought out of 9/11. Sorry i always have to drag the fact that the official story of 9/11 is a myth into every discussion!

Alice. Had to take 3 sittings. What a poor poor product. I can't even say i'm disappointed because i knew it wasn't going to be very good. Well, it's disastrous.

huh, I thought Alice was ok, but maybe that was due to the 3D...ending was weak though

Tim Burton needs to lay off the 'oh well just fill in everything later in post production' mentality, his shit seems like he filmed it in such a rushed fashion these days

exit though the gift shop 3/10

not as good as a remembered it being in fact MBW was 100% more annoying in the 2nd time i saw it.

Isn't MBW being a total cunthole of a self-promoting hack sort of the point?

so you think terrorism is a myth

okay

the way it's presented in movies, absolutely i do. and if you believe any of these movies represent anything close to real islamic or other terrorism you are a moron

The Kingdom

Body of Lies

the Peacemaker

United 93

Iron Man

Unthinkable

Dirty Bomb (uk)

The War Within

the Sum of all Fears

Syriana

cold war fantastical espionage movies like Machurian Candidate have more in common with the reality of the time than these films do with our current reality.

everybody i run into tells me to watch 'Exit through the Gift shop' because 'you do hoaxes' . Is the movie just one long hard worked on fake documentary with fake characters? It sounds intriguing

but years ago when i was a total lucid dreaming fag my friends told me 'go watch waking life, you'll love it' and i thought it was pretty shit

I don't want to spoil it for you so just go watch it, all I'll say is that the 'hoax' angle gives it like 5 different layers of meaning and makes it so amazing. yet it isn't even needed to make it a good story.

i thought it was going to be a little bit more 'alive' feeling .. but the world was so stale and dry and dirty and lifeless , there was nothing going on ever , it was like they were inside a screenshot or something ..

I think you've nailed the defining characteristic of almost all Burton's films. He has a knack for making things lifeless and dull, in a similar way to David Fincher. Both guys have a ton going for them in terms of their knowledge of design in the case of Burton, lighting and lensing in the case of Fincher, but the end product is often lifeless as hell imo.

Guest rumbo

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Stephen King's "Different Seasons". Published in 1982, it's a departure from his horror novels, and consists of 4 novellas. The first of which is the very well known "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", best know for the film adaption. I just got done watching the film for the first time yesterday. The hype around this movie was incredible. Everybody thinks its the best movie they've ever seen blah blah. While it was a very good movie, it certainly lacked a punch after listening to the audio novella.

The second novella in the book is "Apt Pupil" about a young American kid in the 70's who discovers a Nazi war criminal hiding out in California under another name. It's very good so far. It was also made into a film of the same name, starring Ian McKellan as the Nazi. I plan to watch this after I finish this portion of the audiobook. I had no idea it was a film until the other day, and I find that its an interesting exercise to listen to these books being read, and then watch the film adaptions.

I'm not sure if the other 2 stories in this book have also been made into movies. It would be great if they were.

edit: LOL, I just checked and the 3rd novella is called "The body" which was made into the film "Stand by me" which I saw years and years ago. Great film. The 4th story in the book has no film adaption. For this reason I'm more interested in it.

Guest Mirezzi

Biutiful - I don't think I've seen a better film in the last five years. When Innaritu teams up with Guillermo Arriaga, he's a talented but derivative filmmaker. On his own, he's on the level of Bergman (in his prime). Perhaps, having lost both of my parents to cancer, the story of Biutiful is simply too personal. Nonetheless, it made me weep...and Bardem is a legend.

Archived