IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Martha marcy-may marlene

Really really good.

Better idea for the ending though

Instead of being followed I think it should have ended with her in the backseat but you don't know whos car (the cult or the sisters)

Tintin

Entertaining but very anticlimatic ending setting up the next film.

I did not realize it wad written by edgar wright, joe cornish and stephen moffat.

Anonymous

Ok filmmakers can now stop jumping around in time now. It worked in martha marcy may marlene but it ruined this film. I liked the idea behind this film though

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martha marcy-may marlene

Really really good.

I thought either this or 'Super' were the best films of last year. Drive would be my third favourite. Go see 'The Grey' Benedict!

just saw the Life Aquatic for a 2nd time (hadn't seen it since in the theatre) and i was really blown away by it. I couldn't get over some of the silliness when i first saw it but this time i just accepted it for what it was and went with it. It's a very satisfying movie and probably one of Bill Murray's best.

9.5/10

i was obsessed with this movie in middle school. i even got a pair of steve zissou's adidas so i could be legit. they fell apart pretty quickly... i should get another pair, hahah.

224740695_09fd1b9763.jpg

i watched dorian gray (2009) recently. the guy that plays dorian is such a babe...

also, why is colin firth always in adaptations of victorian literature?

the grey - wow surprisingly good. i appreciated how the theological/philosophical themes were dealt with. ie not rubbed in my face.

drive - much better than i expected it to be. and better than bronson (tho i like that film). this director has really come into his own i think. ive seen it twice.

take shelter - michael shannon once again proves that hes one of the best actors around. really scary to see how deeply he inhabits his characters. anyone have any thoughts on the ending?

girl with the dragon tatoo (u.s.) - extremely well made and well acted. a good film. that says something considering the plot is really predictable. trancends it subject matter.

terri - a tad more interesting than your average quirky coming of age high school dramedy. not amazing but worth watching. i enjoyed tim heideckers cameo -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYagu700w0c

and speaking of..

tim and erics billion dollar movie - i loved it. some weak parts but i deeply enjoyed its unrestrained perversion.

i was obsessed with this movie in middle school. i even got a pair of steve zissou's adidas so i could be legit. they fell apart pretty quickly... i should get another pair, hahah.

224740695_09fd1b9763.jpg

zissou_jersey_beanie.jpg

Super - 8/10 they hit a really good balance with this one. dwight & juno are excellent. thanks for the recommendation watmm!

Is it just me or was Ellen Page BATSHIT crazy in this movie. Seriously, she made Dwight look sane after she came in. The movie wasn't really my cup of tea... Showed a bit too much gore even for a dark comedy

Super - 8/10 they hit a really good balance with this one. dwight & juno are excellent. thanks for the recommendation watmm!

Is it just me or was Ellen Page BATSHIT crazy in this movie. Seriously, she made Dwight look sane after she came in. The movie wasn't really my cup of tea... Showed a bit too much gore even for a dark comedy

at first i thought you were writing a review about the movie Super 8 and i just had a mini mindfuck

check 'Super' if you haven't yet Robbie, might should be named 'American Psycho 2'.

Z_B_Z and A/D check out 'Martha Marcy May Marlene' if you both haven't yet.

not sure if you would dig that one Robbie. :shrug:

check 'Super' if you haven't yet Robbie, might should be named 'American Psycho 2'.

Z_B_Z and A/D check out 'Martha Marcy May Marlene' if you both haven't yet.

not sure if you would dig that one Robbie. :shrug:

There actually was an American Psycho 2. Starring Mila Kunis as murderer. As terrible as you'd think.

I don't know if she gets naked, actually. I don't think I watched all of it. It was basically worse than Cabin By the Lake 2: Return to Cabin by the Lake.

Is it just me or was Ellen Page BATSHIT crazy in this movie. Seriously, she made Dwight look sane after she came in.

totally. the sex scene was so uncomfortable and hilarious.

Guest Mirezzi

Drive

I didn't care for any of these characters, maybe I wasn't supposed to. The movie looked really slick and I guess the music was pretty good, but I was left feeling that the whole thing was a real waste of time. I mean I enjoyed the style of it about as much as I'd enjoy browsing an ikea catalogue or watching showroom footage. Not sure this movie knows what it is.

Yeah, the cartoony violence took me out completely. Not because it made me queasy, because it didn't, but rather because it was really fucking stupid.

I think the filmmaker was aiming for Kenneth Anger (Scorpio Rising most obviously) meets Taxi Driver and ended up with neither. He even channeled Wes Anderson a bit with meticulously sterile sets, blocking, camera movement. All of it felt incredibly labored for a story that bored the shit out of me. When it comes to artsy, ploddingly slow takes on this genre, I prefer Ghost Dog.

Guest AcrossCanyons

watched The Artist last night. really interesting to watch a silent (mostly silent?) film, never sat through one before. would like to watch it again to really see where i'd put it but it gets a mid-high to high rating from me. very charming.

I also LOVED Super. I agree with The Overlook about Drive. Really, really awkward movie. The opening sequence was really something, though.

I just watched Happy-Go-Lucky on cable and honestly, I loved it. The main character is meant to push your buttons, and I really think that the more positively you react to her, the happier you really are. On some level. Same idea as the saying "misery loves company" only you see it from a few different angles. Also, she reminded me of someone I knew that I really liked.

Drive

I didn't care for any of these characters, maybe I wasn't supposed to. The movie looked really slick and I guess the music was pretty good, but I was left feeling that the whole thing was a real waste of time. I mean I enjoyed the style of it about as much as I'd enjoy browsing an ikea catalogue or watching showroom footage. Not sure this movie knows what it is.

Yeah, the cartoony violence took me out completely. Not because it made me queasy, because it didn't, but rather because it was really fucking stupid.

I think the filmmaker was aiming for Kenneth Anger (Scorpio Rising most obviously) meets Taxi Driver and ended up with neither. He even channeled Wes Anderson a bit with meticulously sterile sets, blocking, camera movement. All of it felt incredibly labored for a story that bored the shit out of me. When it comes to artsy, ploddingly slow takes on this genre, I prefer Ghost Dog.

i didnt have a problem with the violence. for some reason it didnt take me out of the movie.. granted, a bit goofy tho.. but then again i thought the story was handled well so that has something to do with it.

i didnt detect a whole lot of kenneth anger aside from maybe the jacket and how he wore it. yeah taxi driver would be an obvious reference but id be incredibly surprised if 'two lane black top' wasnt a dominating influence.. its way more stlyized than blacktop but ryan goslings performance really echoed james taylors 'the driver' character through a lot of the film..

this directors previous films seemed overwhelmed by his influences, whereas here, while still retaining an obvious debt to those influences, he seems to be developing a vision of his own. i usually dislike retro touches like the credits and some of the music but it was handled well here and the film has a heart.

Archived