IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

it was basically unwatchable. i turned it off after forty minutes.

those were from the last couple of days. i just watched red state. it was fucking garbage. michael parks' monologue destroys whatever tension exists in the film. but, it's kevin smith, so not really surprising that the pacing sucks. despite that, i do enjoy parks as an actor. i hope he finds a role that really brings out his strengths and isn't in a terrible film like this.

Just watched the new(ish) Woody Allen one, Midnight in Paris. Was pretty good, especially at the start. I admit I was caught up in the romance of seeing all these historical figures come to life...at first. Then it became a bit of a laundry list. Owen Wilson though...quite interesting. I read he tried to commit suicide, can't remember if that was before or after this, but I think you can really see that sort of sadness plus confusion in his performance, the sort of befuddled, slightly anesthetized look of someone who is either lost a bit in his own world, or on meds. Kind of like Jim Carrey, though not quite as clearly nuts yet. Still, he did a decent impersonation of Woody Allen. And is much easier on the eyes than Woody.

Yes, if you are a nerd and love movies, go see the motherfucking THE CABIN IN THE WOODS!!!!! :mu-ziq::music::diablo::w00t::watmm::ok:

and yes, fuck 'The Descendants'. 'Terms of Endearment' in Hawaii.

Guest Mirezzi

Just watched the new(ish) Woody Allen one, Midnight in Paris. Was pretty good, especially at the start. I admit I was caught up in the romance of seeing all these historical figures come to life...at first. Then it became a bit of a laundry list. Owen Wilson though...quite interesting. I read he tried to commit suicide, can't remember if that was before or after this, but I think you can really see that sort of sadness plus confusion in his performance, the sort of befuddled, slightly anesthetized look of someone who is either lost a bit in his own world, or on meds. Kind of like Jim Carrey, though not quite as clearly nuts yet. Still, he did a decent impersonation of Woody Allen. And is much easier on the eyes than Woody.

Agreed.

I liked it until the last 20 minutes when sheer inexplicable laziness overcame Allen's script. It started strong, got really strong about 45 minutes in, then tailspinned.

Yeah, I was totally absorbed when they introduced Fitzgerald and Hemingway, would have liked to have had more interaction between those characters (years ago I remember reading an account of Fitzgerald coming to Hemingway with concerns about whether or not he could satisfy Zelda, at which point Hemingway took him to the restroom to check that the size of his manhood was sufficient, and then gave him some tips...a scene like that would seem tailor-made for Allen). When Cathy Bates appeared though it kind of shattered the illusion...I guess she was good back in the Misery days, but she always ends up being really jarring for me in anything else...she seems suited to playing a bit role on the Star Trek holodeck, not being in feature films...

Brody as Dali could be an interesting biopic, even though his lines sucked in 'Midnight in Paris'. What was he saying? Something about elephants. Still enjoyed the film.

yeah Brody certainly looked the part. And he wasn't bad, although I usually strongly dislike him. But that's usually because he's trying in vain to become a leading man/action star (a la Nicholas Cage in Con Air)

really? i thought Wilson was stupendously bad and the whole thing cringe inducing. That was certainly not "a decent impersonation of Woody Allen" as I hoped I'd get from looking at the film on paper. He was almost the opposite of Allen - just a drowsy and lacklustre - as if he didn't really care about anything as opposed to Allen's neurosis which is full speed and concerned by everything. For a decent Allen impersonation see Scarlet Johansson in Vicky Cristina Barcelona - or even Scoop for that matter - which bizarrely I preferred to MIP but I think that says more about how bad I thought MIP was than how good scoop was.

Brødre - 7.7

Kongekabale - 6.2

Manhattan Murder Mystery - 7.2

My week with Marilyn - 2.1

The Rum Diary - 7.0

Matador - 7.3

The Ides of March - 6.8

Drive - 7.0

The Skin I live In - 8.5

Human Centipede 2 - 0.0

The Night of the Sunflowers - 7.9

really? i thought Wilson was stupendously bad and the whole thing cringe inducing. That was certainly not "a decent impersonation of Woody Allen" as I hoped I'd get from looking at the film on paper. He was almost the opposite of Allen - just a drowsy and lacklustre - as if he didn't really care about anything as opposed to Allen's neurosis which is full speed and concerned by everything. For a decent Allen impersonation see Scarlet Johansson in Vicky Cristina Barcelona - or even Scoop for that matter - which bizarrely I preferred to MIP but I think that says more about how bad I thought MIP was than how good scoop was.

can't argue with you as I said much the same thing - I said "befuddled and anesthetized", you said "drowsy and lackluster." In the end I guess I was just more charitably disposed towards Wilson cuz I felt a bit sorry for him. He has a natural easygoing charm that makes him very likable, but it was muted in this film and he seemed on autopilot.

For some reason I don't like Scarlet Johansson much, probably because she strikes me as mildly retarded. I couldn't make it through more than a few minutes of Vicky Christina Barcelona. Her and Penelope Cruz together are just poison...unless you're waiting for a tit reveal.

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

I really do not like Scarlet Johansson.

Anyway...

Le Havre - 9/10

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - 9/10

Ides of March - 6.5/10

6/10 - 'immortals'

so, we did watch the immortals and honestly, i enjoyed 300 slightly more, tho both should only be assessed in regards to their type of film, their grandiose spectacle, and for that, i was sufficiently entertained. 300 had better story i would say but delet... you were quite right bout the costumes. oh' and freida pinto is very fit young woman, very fit!

Elite Squad - awesome film, better than the 2nd. Gives me hope for Robocop. 10/10

King of Kong - very entertaining documentary on the worlds best Donkey Kong players. WATMM/10

Alien/Aliens blu-ray - proves hi-def remastering can work wonders on old films if done properly so there's no excuse. The Alien sets look amazing and the sound in Aliens is awesome 15/10.

Guest yikes

2 lane blacktop-incredible american "road trip" film with warren oates,dennis wilson of the beach boys and james taylor with a cameo from HD stanton.

highly recommended

i saw the devil-insanely over the top korean serial killer flick-gripping and perfect-holy fuck!!

Archived