IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

hudsucker proxy is fantastic

it is, and most people probably arent aware (since it was before they were super famous) that Hudsucker was a huge setback for them. It lost quite a bit of money at the box office, which up until then had never happened to them before because even movies like Raising Arizona were very low budget in comparison. The movie made them loose a lot of their confidence, confidence they wouldn't get back until Fargo

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

hits so hard - this is a doc about patty schemel, drummer for hole, in case aynyone was wondering. and wow. 90s alt dream died such a horrible death. all these people act like half-brains, look awful and talk idioticy. i guess drugs are bad.

what did you expect? the only generations that took drugs but remained inspiring and coherent were the 60s/70s

Huh, you realize Richard D James, BOC, Tom Jenkinson etc. etc. most of all the greatest artists have all done quite a lot of drugs?

hits so hard - this is a doc about patty schemel, drummer for hole, in case aynyone was wondering. and wow. 90s alt dream died such a horrible death. all these people act like half-brains, look awful and talk idioticy. i guess drugs are bad.

what did you expect? the only generations that took drugs but remained inspiring and coherent were the 60s/70s

Huh, you realize Richard D James, BOC, Tom Jenkinson etc. etc. most of all the greatest artists have all done quite a lot of drugs?

if i were to take a guess, i'd say that there are more people in total on this planet using psychedelic drugs at any given time than there were in the 60s and 70s. Hippy culture and flower people as a sweeping phenomena is now scattered and lost but the drugs are as strong as ever.

I typically don't like their smug "know it all" kind of attitude. That said, the more I think about it, the more I really like "A Serious Man." Will have to watch it again...

What do you mean though? Like in their narration and storytelling? or in interviews? I think it makes for strong storytelling to be clear and firm in the immediate meaning of a scene yet still stay interesting. Then again I think david lynch tells great stories as well. I just really like all of their movies, the more of them I see, the more I respect them for what they have brought to cinema.

I typically don't like their smug "know it all" kind of attitude. That said, the more I think about it, the more I really like "A Serious Man." Will have to watch it again...

What do you mean though? Like in their narration and storytelling? or in interviews? I think it makes for strong storytelling to be clear and firm in the immediate meaning of a scene yet still stay interesting. Then again I think david lynch tells great stories as well. I just really like all of their movies, the more of them I see, the more I respect them for what they have brought to cinema.

Yeah that was kind of trolling on my part, since I've said all that before. I don't think I've seen any Coen interviews of any length, I think I saw one quick chat with them but that was about it. It's just a feeling I get, I find it easy to like most of their films, but hard to love them. Usually I like dark humor but in the Coen's case, I often feel they are asking us to laugh at their characters with them, rather than trying the harder task of making us care for their characters (which, incidentally, is one reason I love Herzog, because he clearly loves his misfits and outcasts). It's mostly a tone thing. I find it hard to get emotionally engaged in a film that can basically be boiled down to "look at dumb characters being dumb in funny ways. Look at characters who think they are smart being dumb." Yeah it's funny once in a while I guess, but gets old quick.

Have you seen AFX lately? he is far from coherent.

Do you know him? How do you know is far from coherent, from him taking the piss in articles? Or actual interviews?

WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?????

All that needs to be coherent about the man is his bad ass music. It is this, so please don't infer that people who use any drugs are not as good as yourself. You do not know them personally so you cannot form an honest opinion.

Just watched a korean film, The Yellow Sea. Pretty fun, violent korean action/thriller starring the antagonist of The Chaser. Worth checking out, imo.

Also, Phenomena, Argento's 1985 (or 1987?) film starring Jennifer Connelly. Things started off somewhat tame in comparison to other Argento flicks, but quickly took a turn towards Giallo visuals and an even more bizarre pivot point as far as plot and character development are concerned. It's all about the animals, man.

Now, watching Black House, a 2007 korean thriller/horror flick about an insurance agent whose place in the film I haven't yet understood, as far as antagonist or protagonist are concerned. Interesting so far though.

Wow, so I'll have watched three movies today. Probably the best aspect of absent-mindedly packing to move.

Have you seen AFX lately? he is far from coherent.

Do you know him? How do you know is far from coherent, from him taking the piss in articles? Or actual interviews?

WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?????

All that needs to be coherent about the man is his bad ass music. It is this, so please don't infer that people who use any drugs are not as good as yourself. You do not know them personally so you cannot form an honest opinion.

He is wearing flip flops as a man, that should be reason enough to question his sanity.

----

Back to film reviews.

Iron Lady - i grew up in a house that hated Margaret Thatcher, it was really hard to feel sorry for her after "all that she has done". That and my hippie ideals made me hate this film so much, i couldn't get past the politics (not the film's fault i guess) - 0/10

tad: busted circuits and ringing ears - you know, i guess it was to be expected that the least interesting band from the classic era sub pop roster won't have that many good stories to tell. to be honest i got nothing out of that whole doc. not even a laugh. it just kinda passed through. bands come, bands go. what's with everyone getting a doc now?

at least noone died from drugs.

Is cool man, that film is filled with so many surprises and I personally think they should be experienced first hand, almost anything anyone says about it is a spoiler.

Don Hertzfeldt finished off his tour in the Twin Cities yesterday, and I was able to watch his new "Everything Will Be OK" trilogy. It was fantastic. I had to hold back tears at a couple of moments.

There was a (short) Q&A session with him afterwards. He came off as a pretty cool dude.

Part 1 is on youtube, which I had seen previous several years ago when him and Mike Judge were doing the Animation Show. It doesn't do itself justice on its own though.

Guest RadarJammer

Hellmaster really great fun super cheese B- horror movie. The helicopter pilot from Dawn of the Dead is in it.

Trailer

Watched The Wild Blue Yonder.

Strange movie, those documentary footage parts of diving were a bit boring and hard to watch. But other than that I really liked it.

Take Shelter - Fantastic movie. Nice and slow paced, some great, terrifying dream sequences. Great acting, writing etc. I don't really have any complaint about this movie so I don't know I'm giving it 9/10.

Bug - Michael Shannon again in another schizo role. Intense as fuck everyone said about this film and they were right. Builds to an amazing climax. Wonderfully minimal. 9/10.

Been good for films lately.

Guest zaphod

young adult - good performances i just hated everything else about this

the fighter - got twenty minutes in and turned it off. boring as hell.

i really just don't have any attention span for films these days. probably a good thing.

Archived