IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

super

this was a shockingly good film. didnt expect much but it was realistic, gory and even made me fancy ellen page a little (before she rapes him). only thing I didnt like was the end with the drawings. guess they had no idea how to end it. nice work watmm i watched it based on yr recommendation.

Guest RadarJammer
The Profit hilarious semi-biographical parody of L Ron Hubbard, the birth of scientology and his descent into madness. This movie was banned in the U.S. but it should be easy to find a torrent.

fright night (2011) - caught it to see if tennant is of any use outside the doctor who franchise (weeeeeell) and it was actually pretty good. witty, light, self-concious. FUN. really liked it. never expected a vampire horror to still kick it in 2011.

super

this was a shockingly good film. didnt expect much but it was realistic, gory and even made me fancy ellen page a little (before she rapes him). only thing I didnt like was the end with the drawings. guess they had no idea how to end it. nice work watmm i watched it based on yr recommendation.

by watmm you mean me and you are welcome!

the innkeepers - i know, let's make clerks a horror film.

[youtubehd]YdDMrncAy4U[/youtubehd]

damn every time i see the Critic, i forget completely that Seth Mcfarlane literally raped the ass of this show and took out his own semen mixed it with a deformed egg of leftover simpsons episodes for Family Guy

Guest zaphod

i can turn off my brain and be ok with family guy for a couple minutes but it really does suck giant alien penii

super

i also gave it a hearty rec here so STEP OFF ATOP!!

(i mean... hi 5!)

melancholia - von trier's films always seem to fascinate and bore me in equal measure. stunning looking but plodding til the end... john hurt was amazing as usual but didn't feature nearly enough. charlotte gainsbourg was completely vacant as usual... surprisingly, dunst was well cast, i thought she did a great job - in fact i even fell for her a bit and i've never seen the appeal before. she has an interesting and unconventional yet beautiful face (and an ample breast!). 6.7/10

super

i also gave it a hearty rec here so STEP OFF ATOP!!

(i mean... hi 5!)

I was typing up the same thing but decided just to let Atop hog the spotlight. Yeah, Atop may have been the first who recommended it but a lot of us chimed in as well!

really? i went into this film without knowing anything prior to it, first half hour my expectations got really high, it seemed like a mixture of "nothing" and "primer", nice acting, not far stretched, a handful of cool directions it could be headed into, until,

the flight scene

;( and next to it the

party magic scene

it really threw me off :(

after that it just kinda went downhill for me... i could rate this a 7,5/10 with 2 or 3 edits thought...

pretty fun movie nonetheless!

really? i went into this film without knowing anything prior to it, first half hour my expectations got really high, it seemed like a mixture of "nothing" and "primer", nice acting, not far stretched, a handful of cool directions it could be headed into, until,

the flight scene

;( and next to it the

party magic scene

it really threw me off :(

after that it just kinda went downhill for me... i could rate this a 7,5/10 with 2 or 3 edits thought...

pretty fun movie nonetheless!

i hear you on the primer vibe, totally caught that. i thought they had a bit of fun with it, of course they could of gone down the serious avenue and come up with an even more amazing film, sequels even but they didn't, i cant knock them really.

Cabin in the Woods - 8.5/10 - Most fun I had in a movie theater in a while.

Submarine - 8/10 - Some people that suggested this to me compared it to Wes Anderson's films. I can kind of see the connection. There are some shots that are framed similarly and there's the same occasional focus on minutiae, similar to what Anderson does. But, it goes beyond those surface similarities. There is an emotional core to the film that isn't as present in most Anderson films. Anyway, I'm mentioning Wes Anderson way too much. This is a different film and it's good and hopefully it's not the last time Richard Ayoade gets to write and direct a film.

Submarine - 8/10 - Some people that suggested this to me compared it to Wes Anderson's films. I can kind of see the connection. There are some shots that are framed similarly and there's the same occasional focus on minutiae, similar to what Anderson does. But, it goes beyond those surface similarities. There is an emotional core to the film that isn't as present in most Anderson films. Anyway, I'm mentioning Wes Anderson way too much. This is a different film and it's good and hopefully it's not the last time Richard Ayoade gets to write and direct a film.

Submarine - 6/10 - I saw the trailer and was intrigued by how deadpan the presentation was, mostly because it reminded me of Wes Anderson. I will say that the film did a fantastic job of capturing each characters emotion. The thoughts and relevant flashbacks of the main dude were also nice. But, that all wore off after a while.

My biggest issue is...

The movie tried very hard to side with the main kid, even though he was a total asshole. As the movie went on I disliked the kid more and more, but the movie kept siding with him. My biggest beef with the film is the fact that he probably gets the girl in the end. He did not deserve her at all. You could say that it was an open-ended ending, but the two playfully walking away and towards one-another and then smiling doesn't appear open ended to me. I was really hoping the girl would stand up for herself and just say "Fuck You", guess she wasn't as strong as a character as the movie led on though.

After that I remember saying to myself, "Well that was bullshit" and then "Produced by Ben Stiller" popped up and I said, "Well that Explains it". In other news, Greenberg was pretty shit. Rhys Ifans' performance was good though.

Archived