IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Guest Mirezzi

So, I finally saw Tree of Life. Wow. A flop of that magnitude only comes around once in a generation. Eat your heart out, Michael Cimino. The good news, however, is now I know what a J.Crew summer catalog would have looked like in the 1950's. #stuffwhitepeoplelike

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Safe House (2012) - 7/10 - Pretty good film. Wouldn't have bothered if Denzel wasn't in it though. There was an obvious giveaway to one of the bad guys quite early on. I didn't think films still made them obvious, but not meant to be, points. Not so sure about the ending.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

The Party

Peter Sellers is awesome. i like how in older films you can away with dressing sellers up as an indian (basically him with a jersey short tan). first foam party ever? very similar dumb character as Inspector Clouseau but indian.

thanks for the indepth review

kermode said it had problems but he seemed to still think it decent

World's Greatest Dad is dark and disturbing. Robin Williams is great in it. 7/10

i found it gross and annoying. but yeah, it's disturbing as hell.

Does that "Unexpectedly Touching" critical blurb on the cover mean what I think it means?

World's Greatest Dad is dark and disturbing. Robin Williams is great in it. 7/10

i found it gross and annoying. but yeah, it's disturbing as hell.

Does that "Unexpectedly Touching" critical blurb on the cover mean what I think it means?

Robin Williams will crawl in through your window while you watch it and touch you in your dirty spot.

Robin+Williams+Jumanji.jpg

watched faces of death this weekend. apparently it is supposed to be obviously fake and camp, but i was pretty inebriated so it freaked me the fuck out. i didn't know the gore was fake. the scene with the dude getting eaten by a gator and his bloody stump getting pulled out of the water, urgh.

also, i don't think i'll ever eat kosher food again.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - YES/10

one of the best b movies I have ever seen. so shit & fantastic at once. would groan at again.

one of the best b movies I have ever seen. so shit & fantastic at once. would groan at again.

I know my gf is going to drag me to see this eventually, so your review is appreciated

very dubious. the trailer made me cringe and embarrassed to be human

thanks for the indepth review

kermode said it had problems but he seemed to still think it decent

Spolier-less review.

The movie spoils itself though I'll give it that out of 10.

Guest uptown devil

bear with me, been on quite a binge lately.

blade runner - 10/10 - somehow managed not to see it until now. incredibly visually stimulating and well written. i can understand the cult-like appreciation for it. hard to believe it was made 30 years ago.

lost in translation - 10/10 - absolutely loved it. i was especially fond of the soundtrack and how perfectly it was used in the film. probably my favorite bill murray performance to date.

darjeeling limited - 8.5/10 - loved it. hilarious at times, endearing characters, great story with a perfectly chosen soundtrack. overall it just felt great to watch.

tron: legacy - 8/10 - super entertaining eye candy.

big fish - 8/10 - loved it but don't think i could ever watch it again.. made me cry like a baby at the end.

moonrise kingdom - 7.5/10 - wouldn't rank it among anderson's best.. his style felt a bit over-embellished and almost masturbatory at times. overall it was pretty hilarious and clever.

we own the night - 7.3/10 - pleasantly surprised, it was really nothing like i expected. phoenix did a great job, and i didn't get the urge to punch marky mark in the face, so i suppose he did a good job as well. pretty solid and entertaining film.

avengers - 7/10 - i found it particularly well done for a super hero movie. the theater we saw it in served drinks right to our seats and as a result my friend and i got pretty drunk by the middle/end. not sure if that helps or hurts the rating, but i'm gonna have to watch it again in a more sober state.

prometheus - 6.8/10 - it fell a little short for me. i never felt any sort of emotional investment in any of the characters and couldn't have cared less when one of them died. i enjoyed the 'searching for man's designers' aspect of the story, but thought it was weakly executed. probably my least favorite in the series, not counting resurrection of course.

secondhand lions - 6.5/10 - i enjoyed all the scenes that didn't have haley joel osment in them.

drive - 6.2/10 - disappointing. it was like a two hour long chill wave music video in a child's-extra-small gold scorpion jacket.

super - 1/10 - biggest pile of shit i've watched in quite a while. seriously, fuck that movie.

Downfall - finally seen the original Hitler sequence thats been re subtitled to death on Youtube. A faithful potrail of the last days of Hilter and madness in Berlin at the time which is well acted and done in a very low key style thats still quite engaging (if a little long) yet doesn't glamorize the Nazis or their imagery. 8.5/10

Iron Sky - could have been good comedy relief to the above but poor directing let down what could have been a good silly film. The American geek humor kept me going though about 2/3rds of the movie before I switched it off. 3/10

Office Space - should have watched this ages ago, slow paced but Mike Judges sharp wit makes it a borderline classic. 8/10

The Foot Fist Way - Danny Mcbride's first breakthrough film that evidently led to Eastbound and Down. 8/10

harakiri: the death of the samurai - 7/10

usually not a fan of this greek-tragedy-style films but it worked for me this time, it's mostly a very powerful dissection of the concept of honor..pitted against humanity, the middle part dragged though and it should have been more interesting as it's where the characters are getting introduced.

Guest Mirezzi

we own the night - 7.3/10 - pleasantly surprised, it was really nothing like i expected. phoenix did a great job, and i didn't get the urge to punch marky mark in the face, so i suppose he did a good job as well. pretty solid and entertaining film.

Yeah, this is a very underrated/underexposed movie. I loved it.

Archived