IGNORED

A few films recently watched.

Guest Mirezzi

Antichrist - wasn't as controversial as I thought it would be. Actually kind of beautiful in alot of scenes. Incredibly well shot. The ending was way more cathartic than I thought it would be.

just saw this too. wasnt really sure what to make of it after it was over, but its stuck with me so theres something to be said about that... apparently trier used the project to help pull himself out of a deep depression.. in that respect the darkness and insanity of it all makes some sense.. ill be watching it again, im sure.

other than that -

observe and report - thought it was funny

bruno - a spent idea

*also, the dedication to andrei tarkovsky at the end of antichrist was confusing. tarkovskys mystical filmmaking could be odd, but always seemed life affirming in some strange way. antichrist is just a very black film..

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appaloosa. Good shit that kinda tailed off towards the end, lost focus slightly. Not quite as good as 3:10 to Yuma but i really applaud these new Westerns, i need to see quality westerns with high production values like this keep getting made. The old west was a crazy town full of real tough bastards who slept with one eye open, real crazy son bitches. I'd like to see some of you lot trying to survive out there during that era, hahaha.

boiler room - nice flick, alot of great sales scenes, especially the ones with ben affleck.

glengarry glen ross - simply amazing. great actors duking it out

just saw this too. wasnt really sure what to make of it after it was over, but its stuck with me so theres something to be said about that... apparently trier used the project to help pull himself out of a deep depression.. in that respect the darkness and insanity of it all makes some sense.. ill be watching it again, im sure.

Yeah man you totally nailed it there. I didn't know what to make of it but it kinda stuck. That's exactly it.

I didn't find it that dark, insane, maybe, but somewhat indifferent to the fate of its characters. I felt like the story lost track of itself and the thought processes of He and She once it started spiralling out.. Maybe it was intentional.

The way he relates to the forest in the film felt sublime and accurate. I was terrified of the woods when I was little, now I find the dark submerged quality of them simply beautiful.

Pierrot le Fou - Godard - What a mind fuck, but a beautiful one at that. The film is layered deviously... so simple in context but so deep and textured if you let yourself wonder. I definitely need to give this another few watches before I come to any coherent conclusion.

Salo - I was expecting some raffish exploitation type film, a Jodorowsky-esque spiral of incoherent, fragmented, sex-driven celluloid but the outcome was somewhat of a paradox. This film is enriched in color and still shots... the cinematography is spectacular and really made up for its lack in just about everything else. If you are looking to this film for a shock factor, it's a bit mild to today's standards, but you are sure to spout out a few WTF's.

Finally got around to watching Antichrist, it was great! Really tense in some spots, I love the way nature was used for horror, sometimes that's the most unsettling thing (see: Blair Witch Project). Wasn't really shocking at all, graphic sure, but I wasn't shocked anyway (probably a bad thing).

Fun fact: A video game based on Antichrist is coming out! Called Eden!

SERIOUSLY

Dexter - Season 2

It was pretty good. I like how they've managed to make the serial killer seem like such a nice guy that you actually feel that his killings are a-okay.

The English girl was annoying as hell though and she reminded me of an even more annoying version of Nigella Lawson. Also, I'm not a big fan of the romance the series brings up. Seems kinda useless.

Dexter - Season 2

It was pretty good. I like how they've managed to make the serial killer seem like such a nice guy that you actually feel that his killings are a-okay.

The English girl was annoying as hell though and she reminded me of an even more annoying version of Nigella Lawson. Also, I'm not a big fan of the romance the series brings up. Seems kinda useless.

Nice 11,111th post

Also, I'm not a big fan of the romance the series brings up. Seems kinda useless.

after reading the books, it makes sense, as his "love interest" is essentially a cover up to make him look a bit more normal.

Also, I'm not a big fan of the romance the series brings up. Seems kinda useless.

after reading the books, it makes sense, as his "love interest" is essentially a cover up to make him look a bit more normal.

I think hes talking about Batista/his sister. That is useless, except it adds a little tension... for the guy chasing him is soo close to his sister.

sunday night is biological warfare night at my place!

the andromeda strain - great synth soundtrack & fx, good overall - 8

the omega man - campy but heston tore it up, motown soundtrack in a post-apocalyptic sci-fi gave 0.5 bonus points - 6.5

I think hes talking about Batista/his sister. That is useless, except it adds a little tension... for the guy chasing him is soo close to his sister.

batista love didn't start till 3rd season. i'm going to marry either Debra or the "shit bricks" finger arm girl.

but ur prob right.

I had the opportunity to go see the new Michael Moore movie for free tonight but I declined mainly due to social anxiety. wtf is up with me lately? :facepalm:

I haven't been to the theater since Feb. '08 to see cloverfield.

Guest abusivegeorge

A lot of my friends are experiencing social anxiety at the minute, it's natural man it happens, I use to suffer with it bad, and I still have days where it leads me to bad anxiety attacks.

I kind of see this as the opposite of the original. This one is pretty great for the first third and then begins to suck a billion balls at once while I find a lot of the opening of the Tarkovsky version to be unbearable and the rest of it to be quite brilliant. Highway scene and opening image aside.

Side note - the transfer beep during the video conference in the original Solaris is, to my mind, the most unbearable sound ever created.

lol, that's funny about the video conference beep. Yeah I've seen the original Solaris several times and while I feel the opening Earth sequence drags it has some nice moments, particularly on the farm with the horse and rain...somehow my mind glosses over and forgives the dull stretches. Basically I agree, the rest of the film is brilliant and so much stronger than the Soderbergh version. The Soderbergh version is an affront to the themes of both the the original movie and the book. I mean the doctor's double is...himself. Are we to conclude he's an incredible narcissist, or what? In any case, the ending of the original movie is better than the book's and perhaps the strongest end to a movie I've ever seen, certainly better than 2001 imo. I get chills just thinking about it. Stalker is such a great film too. Solaris and Stalker, plus the last chapter of Andrei Rublev, make me count Tarkovsky as one of the greatest filmmakers ever.

Chinatown - Last time I watched this was years (over a decade?) ago. Really nice film. It's interesting because it's sort of boring, but so well made it's still engaging. It seems to completely capture a time and place, a la Mad Men. Funny thing is I remembered almost every detail of the film apart from the

incest

subplot. However, this film gets a hooker *thumbs down* due to the depressing ending. She was digging it up until that point, but asked me to put on something funny afterwords to dispel the gloom, which leads me to

Ratatouille - 10/10, imo Pixar's best film

Bully - This was quite good. I was never much a fan of "Kids", as I felt when I saw it (years ago) that it was too melodramatic, but I think the grounding in a true story helps Clark stay on-track on this one. Hadn't heard anything about this film until someone here mentioned it. It drags a bit in the middle but picks up and ends strongly. 8.5/10.

Oh hell yeah, Bully is great. I'd rate it about the same. Larry Clark is such a fucking paedo. Trust this.

lol, did he rape you? I can see him as a paedo but seems like he's into teenagers at least, which makes him more of a Polyanski-ist - still illegal, but more understandable. I didn't find the sex scenes with Bijou Phillips and Rachel Miner excessive as I enjoyed seeing them naked too, haha.

batista love didn't start till 3rd season. i'm going to marry either Debra or the "shit bricks" finger arm girl.

but ur prob right.

FFS. Spoiler-tags... use them.

Archived