IGNORED

EP7 Appreciation

six

On 6/9/2023 at 7:56 AM, BobDobalina said:

U doubt wot m8? There was nothing in my post to this effect. IDGAF how the max sausage was msp'd, they're both awesome works with their own very distinctive vibes.  Squirthowyalike Herb.

back on the EP7 positivity tip, I highly recommend giving Peel Session 2 a re-spin, dunno why this seems to get so overlooked b/c it's probably their most funky shit from this era.  The 'chre bros even let John Peel name the tracks for them.

Here’s the new copy/paste - just delete the references and insert your own for any Autechre release

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Here’s the new copy/paste - just delete the references and insert your own for any Autechre release

Keep striving for that elusive shitpost badge, you'll get there.

On 6/9/2023 at 10:56 PM, BobDobalina said:

The 'chre bros even let John Peel name the tracks for them.

magnanimous behaviour from the Brothers 'Chramazov on display here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, BobDobalina said:

U doubt wot m8? There was nothing in my post to this effect. IDGAF how the max sausage was msp'd, they're both awesome works with their own very distinctive vibes.  Squirthowyalike Herb.

back on the EP7 positivity tip, I highly recommend giving Peel Session 2 a re-spin, dunno why this seems to get so overlooked b/c it's probably their most funky shit from this era.  The 'chre bros even let John Peel name the tracks for them.

random Ae trivia: official Ae titles for the tracks on Peel Session 2:

czr

c-down

sqr map

pantium chromedioxid

edit: these are real btw

Edited by Dragon

55 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Source?

pretty sure i collected from a forum post somewhere, don't think it was watmm, but it was a well-informed post with a lot of other info. it might've been a reviewer on discogs or some retail site. this was years ago and i've never found any material that contradicts it, i still think it's legit.

14 hours ago, usagi said:

that is odd, I have heard of them being solid m8s with Dr Jatevee Chattopadhyaya but not this other character.

I think it’s the same guy, an alias I guess.  For, like, speaking engagements about crypto or fad diets or something. 

• 1 month later...

I love EP7. Always have. It's an incredible album. It's more consistent in mood than it is in terms of sound. Emotionally, all tracks occupy a similar area. LP5 is the other way around, with a consistent sound, but very different moods. Both are great. I love it that all rights are reversed. The joke with the title is hilarious, and it's great that I got an Autechre album for the price of an ep just for the lulz.

This album seems to sit in the same place as Garbage, as in: People seem to never bring it up. Both releases mark a transitional phase. I know Incunabula and Amber inside out, but for me, Garbage is where things started to get interesting. EP7 is the link between mid 90s Autechre and their 21st Century Max/MSP antics. Also, who does an entire track on a Roland PMA-5?? And what a killer track it is. Maphive 6.1 is Robotic Prog Rock. I wish there was more.

EP7: Just another epic win. Thanks Seanfried & Roy!

• Like 4

I've got kind of mixed feelings about EP7's being a gigantic EP instead of an album. For years, I thought it might just be a bit of a joke that the name of album contained the idea that it should be regarded as an EP instead. I suppose I'll always defer (hard and gladly) to the artist (especially one that I respect so much as I do Autechre) on the foundations of how a work should be perceived / received even if my impressions are different, but I find EP7 to be quite cohesive and organic. It flows well, and I considered it to be my favorite record by Ae until Exai took that spot (I'm now probably more in love with / appreciative of NTS than anything else, but it, Exai, & EP7 remain pretty close for me).

Speaking of NTS, I think that Zeiss Contarex has become possibly my favorite track despite its having not really stood out to me for the first 20 years of my loving the record because of its similarity to t1a1, which sounds to me as if it's about to converge with ZC before it abruptly shuts down. I'd love to find out if the similarity was intentional.

Edited by mTesc
  • Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 12:01 PM, mTesc said:

I've got kind of mixed feelings about EP7's being a gigantic EP instead of an album. For years, I thought it might just be a bit of a joke that the name of album contained the idea that it should be regarded as an EP instead. I suppose I'll always defer (hard and gladly) to the artist (especially one that I respect so much as I do Autechre) on the foundations of how a work should be perceived / received even if my impressions are different, but I find EP7 to be quite cohesive and organic. It flows well, and I considered it to be my favorite record by Ae until Exai took that spot (I'm now probably more in love with / appreciative of NTS than anything else, but it, Exai, & EP7 remain pretty close for me).

Speaking of NTS, I think that Zeiss Contarex has become possibly my favorite track despite its having not really stood out to me for the first 20 years of my loving the record because of its similarity to t1a1, which sounds to me as if it's about to converge with ZC before it abruptly shuts down. I'd love to find out if the similarity was intentional.

Next Q&A - ‘Zeiss Contarex t1a1 connection?’ 

Sean will say “ask Rob, he made it”

• Farnsworth 1

On 7/29/2023 at 11:01 AM, mTesc said:

Dude, Ae didn’t come up with the title

10 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Dude, Ae didn’t come up with the title

My understanding was the Ae did title this one EP7. 
it was LP5 that was retroactively titled by warp

On 8/8/2023 at 8:49 AM, fizzkinz said:

My understanding was the Ae did title this one EP7. 
it was LP5 that was retroactively titled by warp

You’re right, I misremembered. LP5 ain’t had a title and was titled so 

Edited by DyeMyBlueBlack