IGNORED

EP7 Appreciation

six

On 6/8/2020 at 1:49 PM, ambermonk said:

EP7 wasn't my first Ae discovery, but it was the one that ultimately converted me into a devout fan. Still hard to believe this was from last millennium.

same. this was the one where I "got" their approach, regardless of what the actual sound/methodology for a given album at a given point in time was.

EP7 used to be my "favourite" in the sense that if I absolutely could only pick one album to be locked in a bunker with for the rest of my life, it'd be that one. then Exai came along.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Alco Original "True Story Series" (TM)

when this came out i was a teenager living in a suburb of chicago (united states). for a while it was only available as an import, the cd in the frosted jewel case with the secret rewind track. somehow, my friend got a hold of this before me and he revealed it one night when we were hanging out in his bedroom (not sexual). we were both really into "the chre" at this point, like deep into these brothers. so he had me put on headphones and i crouched down underneath his desk (idk why, we were always doing weird shit like this) and he played me the first track without telling me what it was. no joke but this was such a serious experience, it truly was hearing something so unlike anything i'd ever even dreamed of. instantly i knew it was autechre. but it was really next level shit. obviously they were always doing this with each release multiple times a year back then. so anyway later on we were over by the mall in this horrible area of strip malls and terrible restaurants and stuff (like Chilis or whatever) and we were sitting by this little man-made pond area between the parking lot and the road where cars were flying by at like 65mph. we had just stolen some john coltrane cds from the nearby cd store, the name of which escapes me but it's on the tip of my tongue here. it wasn't Crow's Nest or Sam Goody but something kinda similar chain. anyway, my friend says if i jump into the water fully clothed and swim to the other side he will give me the ep7 cd. surprisingly, i did NOT do it. the two of us were always doing dumb stuff like this and i had previously even swam a lap in our school swimming pool fully clothed in a suit and tie in the middle of a swim class. but here i hesitated. i look back on this decision with regret even to this day. shortly after, the domestic version hit the local stores (thanks trent!) and i got a copy from best buy. it did not have the frosted case nor the hidden track. for years i was haunted by my failure to rise to the challenge and obtain the coveted Import Version. 

*i remembered the cd store: Coconuts!

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 2
  • Farnsworth 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

I’m baffled by some of the tracks on EP7 that weren’t on LP5 - why was Corc on LP5 instead of Dropp?

I agree with the first part but I love Corc so much can I ask why it doesn't do much for you?

• Like 2

LP5 is actually my least favorite aelbum *hides* but I completely understand why people adore it so much

Just not a fan of the production personally it feels a little too plastic for my taste (says the guy that regularly listens to mainstream pop music lol whatever)

anyways yeah EP7 is brilliant!!!

On 12/11/2022 at 11:40 PM, usagi said:

EP7 used to be my "favourite" in the sense that if I absolutely could only pick one album to be locked in a bunker with for the rest of my life, it'd be that one. then Exai came along.

My sentiments exactly. I always found LP5 and EP7 to seem companion pieces of sorts, but EP7 was the more compelling of the two for me. I didn't look at the next five years of material as being in any way lesser, but EP7 remained my favorite. I found myself a little less in love with Untilted, Quaristice, and Oversteps (although each has since grown on me), but Exai was transcendent. AE Live and NTS, as well. Probably some combination of those releases would now constitute my favorite AE, even if I'm unable to pinpoint a single release.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2023 at 6:00 AM, X4creek said:

I agree with the first part but I love Corc so much can I ask why it doesn't do much for you?

Whoa whoa… I didn’t say Corc “doesn’t do much for me” - I said I’m surprised they used Corc instead of Dropp

listening to Corc on cans now I remember why - it’s got the organic mushy sound vs Dropp

Edit: Dropp sounds like sorting papers

Edited by DyeMyBlueBlack

32 minutes ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Sorry for double post, but: reminder Sean said Liccflii is the first track they made completely with Max

Now I can’t remember where I read - AAA thread?

maybe the Sean ama on twitch? he said in that that LP5 was using the Environment window in Logic a lot  "like doing max before we used max" and a friend said they should check out Max after he saw their logic patching. and i think after that he talked about EP7? i can't recall for sure though.. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ignatius said:

maybe the Sean ama on twitch? he said in that that LP5 was using the Environment window in Logic a lot  "like doing max before we used max" and a friend said they should check out Max after he saw their logic patching. and i think after that he talked about EP7? i can't recall for sure though.. 

He may very well have discussed this in the twitch ama. But I’m with DyeMyBlueBlack in thinking it came about earlier. I definitely remember knowing for multiple years that Liccflii was admitted by them to be fully in Max well before twitch was ever a thing 

I suspect it’s come up in multiple spots, and I have not time to check the old 2013 AMA, but I suspect it was mentioned there 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, fizzkinz said:

He may very well have discussed this in the twitch ama. But I’m with DyeMyBlueBlack in thinking it came about earlier. I definitely remember knowing for multiple years that Liccflii was admitted by them to be fully in Max well before twitch was ever a thing 

I suspect it’s come up in multiple spots, and I have not time to check the old 2013 AMA, but I suspect it was mentioned there 

cheers, but it came up within the last few months - I’ll do a sweep tomorrow

4 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Whoa whoa… I didn’t say Corc “doesn’t do much for me” - I said I’m surprised they used Corc instead of Dropp

oh ?? apologies!

This is the "album" that made me feel understood and like I could share it with my friends. While I listened to Quaristice in full first, EP7 made them click and made me want to get into them; this is the soundtrack by which I build rockets to in high school with my friends, headphone splitter jacked into my R4 cartridge loaded DS with Dropp, Squeller, Left Blank, Liccflii, and Zeiss Contarex (which I only recently learned about Zeiss given that I work with items that they manufacture for ASML for the sake of wafer etch and lithography processes) playing. I felt connected by way of weird spacetime, experiencing this album for the first time nearly a decade after it first released, special ordering it since it wasn't really new/relevant/popular so I could have my own CD thereof, showing my math teacher the fractals in the album cover insert as a human means to connect and display that, "hey, I think math is actually pretty cool and I'm trying to learn." 

Rpeg has been my phone's ringtone for well over a decade now, superseding Kraftwerk's "Die Roboter" some time in 2012. I don't even have ring on, but I make sure it's Rpeg. Also LP5 is a wonderful album, a lot of warmth and humanity in a very synthetic architecture.

• Like 4

On 5/26/2023 at 7:32 AM, BobDobalina said:

Yeah WTF corc is amazing.

slap GIF

They may share some DNA/DSP, but LP5 and EP7 are their own separate vibes and great in their own separate ways IMO.

I very much doubt this

edit: just like Oversteps and Move of Ten - it’s just the tracks they chose for the album vs didn’t lol

Edited by DyeMyBlueBlack
Clarification

2 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

it’s just the tracks they chose for the album vs didn’t lol

On 5/26/2023 at 5:32 AM, BobDobalina said:

slap GIF

EP7 is a masterpiece.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

EP7 is a masterpiece.

so many of their albums and Eps stand alone. i can't live w/o any of them. they're all required listening for me. i can listen to pretty much any of it and think "sheesh. this is so fuckn good".  experiencing each release as it happened may have something to do w/that but maybe that's why i tell anyone just getting into them to listen chronologically and spend a good month or so w/each release.

• Like 6

I fell in love with EP7 immediately because my first ae love was LP5. This all happened between 1999-2001. In between having LP5 and EP7 I picked up Tri Rep(++) - loved that one too, but it was clear their "new sound" was the best, and so when I got EP7 it was exactly what I wanted to hear. (I picked up confield later in 2001 and felt the same way.) EP7 to me was always an advancement of the LP5 sound, don't ask me how because who knows when tracks were acktchyually made, or how they do things (different methods for different tracks it seems). So "advancement" is subjective I guess. But man those tracks were fresh as fuck and I ate it up. Also, I think it's one of their best track sequences - there's good variety in a cohesive flow and it tells a story. Pir is one of the most beautiful tracks they've done.  (Also: corc has always been my "official" favourite ae track, so watch what u say about Corc 'round these parts ya hear!)

• Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 12:00 PM, xyrofen said:

Rpeg has been my phone's ringtone for well over a decade now, superseding Kraftwerk's "Die Roboter" some time in 2012. I don't even have ring on, but I make sure it's Rpeg. Also LP5 is a wonderful album, a lot of warmth and humanity in a very synthetic architecture.

Rpeg ringtone crew checking in, definitely the top autechre track to play when you're getting a call IMO. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

I very much doubt this

edit: just like Oversteps and Move of Ten - it’s just the tracks they chose for the album vs didn’t lol

U doubt wot m8? There was nothing in my post to this effect. IDGAF how the max sausage was msp'd, they're both awesome works with their own very distinctive vibes.  Squirthowyalike Herb.

back on the EP7 positivity tip, I highly recommend giving Peel Session 2 a re-spin, dunno why this seems to get so overlooked b/c it's probably their most funky shit from this era.  The 'chre bros even let John Peel name the tracks for them.