IGNORED

Yuzo Koshiro inspired by Aphex Twin?

Ragnar

uh, the guy who did the Streets of Rage soundtrack and some other stuff

I thought of this because I know he's been known to steal/borrow/be influenced by whatever music he was into at the time, the first Streets of Rage is known to take from a lot of 90's DANCE HITS (supposedly the main theme is a rip of Sadeness by Enigma). So some time a while back I finally got to try the third game and the music seemed to make absolutely no sense, it was really techno but on cheap speakers it just sounded like a bunch of noise. I downloaded a rip of the soundtrack and it makes a lot more sense with a subwoofer/etc. I dunno, I think a lot of the tracks sound like early AFX/Caustic Window stuff, but then again I know little to nothing about other HARDCORE TECHNO or whatever around that time period. Even if it's not AFX it's funny hearing what I'm pretty sure is supposed to be jungle/acid house on a Genesis

http://www.zophar.net/music/vgm/streets-of-rage-3.html <--- if anyone wants to hear

Track 8 really really sounds like some Aphex Twin track to me, maybe not so much the others but that one totally reminds me of some track I can't place. I was also thinking tracks 3, 7, 18, 19, and obviously not stuff like GOOD ENDING BAD ENDING etc.

The timeline also fits, the game was released in 1994, which I forget exactly which albums were out by then but quite a few of them right

also I guess Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack was made with an "Automated Composing System". How IDM is that

I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that SoR3 has an amazing soundtrack and the best of all the SoR games. Anyone who disagrees is WRONG.

Also, how were these sounds achieved on a Mega Drive!? It blows my mind.

I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that SoR3 has an amazing soundtrack and the best of all the SoR games. Anyone who disagrees is WRONG.

Also, how were these sounds achieved on a Mega Drive!? It blows my mind.

More importantly, how they got the little Zylog Z-80 chip to do it!

• 7 years later...

SoR 3 soundtrack out on vinyl vvv soon via Data Discs (v difficult music to press unsurprisingly).

Yuzo is an Aphex fan but not so sure that SoR 3 was particularly influenced by him...he would've been more likely to be hearing American techno tunes at that time.

Word is that he wrote some software to create semi-randomised sequences of FM craziness and then made his favourites into structures. Proto-Autechre vibe(l)z.

This Ceephax track always makes me think of SOR2 for some reason

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=2038422833 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 track=1962903110]

nice timing, been playing the fuck out of SoR lately. and yes the soundtrack is amazing, i've even tried passing off rips of the first game's music as unreleased AFX tunes on this board (years ago, when tiny unheard aphex tunes were like treasured gifts from above). in fact idc what anyone says when i hear the round 3 beach music i'm gonna rock out like i'm listening to SOSW/cat002 every goddamn time! unless i'm in an incunabula mood.

edit: lushness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFFFzHBynwg

Wow! had never heard this before, what an amazing soundtrack.

Downloaded it and put it onto itunes, seems to say that at least half of the songs were written by someone else under the name of Motohiro Kawashima. His tracks are the ones that remind me most of aphex type stuff. Very Analord at some points.

That 'percussion' track reminds me a bit of canticle drawl

I'd also say it sounds more like kosmik kommando to be honest. 

I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that the M̶e̶g̶a̶ ̶D̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ Genesis has the most amazing soundtracks and the best of all the consoles. Anyone who disagrees is WRONG.

Also, how could these sounds be achieved on anything but a M̶e̶g̶a̶ ̶D̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ Genesis!? It blows my mind.

I'm going to take this opportunity to point out that the M̶e̶g̶a̶ ̶D̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ Genesis has the most amazing soundtracks and the best of all the consoles. Anyone who disagrees is WRONG.

Also, how could these sounds be achieved on anything but a M̶e̶g̶a̶ ̶D̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ Genesis!? It blows my mind.

I agree, still some of my fav music.

Sega's decision to whack a 6-part Yamaha FM synth in the Megadrive is largely responsible (+the mega skillz of Yuzo & co. obviously). You can get pretty close to the shronk of that chip with an FB-01 ie. the most hated (and therefore cheapest to acquire) synth Yamaha ever made. They're ace.

ONIvs5s.jpg

*picture of my left arm & some other ppl on Thursday night.

I agree, still some of my fav music.

Sega's decision to whack a 6-part Yamaha FM synth in the Megadrive is largely responsible (+the mega skillz of Yuzo & co. obviously). You can get pretty close to the shronk of that chip with an FB-01 ie. the most hated (and therefore cheapest to acquire) synth Yamaha ever made. They're ace.

ONIvs5s.jpg

*picture of my left arm & some other ppl on Thursday night.

Was this the thing at fabric? Any good? I wanted to go but had an early start for work Friday.

Still thing Toejam & Earl 2 is the best megadrive soundtrack, it's like some mad long lost herbie hancock album.

• 2 years later...

Archived