IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

HAHAHA... Robbie- Our public disagreement is going to make people think we're playing good cop / bad cop and pushing our own leak, version 2™ .

For me, its all about mood with Autechre. It always has been. I look forward to the day when we get beat fuckery ninja sauce once again, but I am absolutely okay with this album and the mood it sets. It feels much more deliberate, thought out, and genuince than Quaristice.

PS - I wouldnt call this album ambient. It's brightly organic, but not ambient. Certainly a mood setter, but maybe not trying to invoke peacefulness like most ambient records do.

Haunting. Yes, this record is haunting.

But then again, I like Tim Hecker.

First three tracks + See On See + Treale + D-Sho Qub (or whatever) = Awesome. The rest gets a bit samey. Hopefully the wavs + vinyl + poster + omfg new package in the mail will make the listening experience on the proper release better.

I prefer what I heard in the leak over Quaristice though.

I agree with Awepittance - for now. I'm a little underwhelmed by this one, though I don't regret pre ordering it anyway. It's better than Quaristice. I wonder, though: have Plaid and Autechre swapped places? Not that I don't like Plaid, but Plaid do Plaid best.

My favorite Autechre album is Confield. I would love them to go further and further into the deep end - as began in Confield and Draft. Another favorite of mine is Chiastic Slide, and I do like their more melodic stuff, but these days I don't listen to them for that aspect of their music.

This will probably grow on me, but Quaristice never did grow on me, and I disliked it for the reason I am not sure of this leak: I just found it a little bare. Nothing wrong with that, but there's plenty of other music I can turn to if I want a more obvious/upfront/accessible fix.

Edited by Lianne

Finally had the time to hunt it down tonight. Only 4 tracks in and think its great. Far better than my first impressions of Quaristice.

And people are really doubting this is Autechre??

I'm not so sure

:trashbear:

my inital reaction was: sounds like someone wanking about with max 4 lives step sequencer and some fm synth

Edited by beariksson

this thread gets interesting. from my point of view it cannot be simplier : wait for the wav/lps. period. but actually its not the album being judged by the critiques but the critiques being judged by the album : fake or real ? it is possible to fool a true autechre fan ? this can only happen with electronic/instrumental music.

im going to save my excitement for the EP or the first leaked live show recording on their tour.

edit: unfortunately i think it's real, its just not that impressive or that good.

Edited by Awepittance

it has nothing to do with morals or anything, and i would never preach to anyone about downloading leaks. i just like my initial impression of the art to be how the artist intended it to be. i only really do this for bands i really like. i have dl'd tons of leaks and still will to see if i like a new band or whatever. but when it comes to artists i admire, i like to have the full album in my hands and check out the artwork etc as im listening for the first time.

edit: that being said, i will download from bleep early if its released early.

Yeah I totally forgot to mention the connection between artwork/package and music. The two always went hand in hand back in the day, the ultimate thrill after a long wait. But like you, if Bleep puts out the mp3s early I'll probably listen, since after all it is official at that point...even without the physical product. Unless it's within a week of the physical product shipping, in which case I might still wait.

The album sounds really well together as one long piece, if I do say. d-sho qub has remained my favorite, but I can't think of one I particularly don't like in the album.

wait til u guys hear the ep

See? This is yet another time you're being awesomely cryptic. Didnt you mention earlier something about more releases this year, or an official live release, or something?

I'm just curious where you're getting your info and what timeframe this is all supposed to be happening on.

PS - I suppose its a good thing that I'm a blissfully ignorant non-Plaid fan

Plaid isn't too bad. Also, I'm really starting to dig "redfall" in all the heavy bass sounds and the interesting background sounds with its kchs, clicks, and ticks.

krYlon too or whatever, that grinding sound is cool as hell.

Edited by Xyrofen

Guest ataraxy2

I'm enjoying Altered:Carbon more than I am this supposedly real leak. It does sound Ae I will admit, but so does A:C in places. I hope it's fake, or a fake album created by Ae. Otherwise disappointing.

as one of the few with a shred of self control, i'm definitely looking forward to it. not really gonna bother reading 19 pages of circular argument, but i'm really looking forward to this!

There are some crackles in places, but I honestly don't know if they're intentional or not. We'll see upon the release. I'm seriously debating whether or not to pre-order the vinyl or CD, especially considering I have no way of playing a vinyl.

Guest Renivatio

Well so far I sure am enthralled by the beginning of r ess...oh yeah, see on see wins for me too..but i'm giving this a couple more listens... :emotawesomepm9: