IGNORED

Autechre - Oversteps (WARP210) [The MegaThread]

Friendly Foil

Can I just say this? Warp sucks. WORST marketing ever. They announce an album almost 3 months in advance and why? To build hype for those who either pre-ordered this already or will buy it regardless?!? <sarcasm>Makes Sense!</sarcasm>

This is Lame. LAME. So within a little wee message board or two, we've been tasked with hyping shit to other people who are also hyping shit.... so that we can all run around and express how much we can't wait to possess something we technically already own/paid for. Wow, this makes a ton of sense in an insular IDM-beard shithole of an environment called the internets. Good job.

There really was NO purpose of announcing this so soon. No true media splooge yet. No printed interviews. Nothing. The only purpose I see is to anger their most loyal fans. Everyone knows bands make their real money on merch (which includes lmtd. edition high quality vinyl pressings, stickers, shirts, hats, b-sides, one-offs, etc.)

Here's a solution:

Announce, then release. "Hey everybody! I'm about to come!.... Came." Release only highquality digital files and debut your "merch" the day of your first show on your upcoming tour. Print better t-shirts and begin selling soundboard recordings of your livesets.

Here, everyone is happy, more people come to your shows, and your sales increase in all lines of business.

its a similar way the ipad was marketed even with the mock-ups aka fakes

Edited by o00o

Can I just say this? Warp sucks. WORST marketing ever. They announce an album almost 3 months in advance and why? To build hype for those who either pre-ordered this already or will buy it regardless?!? <sarcasm>Makes Sense!</sarcasm>

This is Lame. LAME. So within a little wee message board or two, we've been tasked with hyping shit to other people who are also hyping shit.... so that we can all run around and express how much we can't wait to possess something we technically already own/paid for. Wow, this makes a ton of sense in an insular IDM-beard shithole of an environment called the internets. Good job.

There really was NO purpose of announcing this so soon. No true media splooge yet. No printed interviews. Nothing. The only purpose I see is to anger their most loyal fans. Everyone knows bands make their real money on merch (which includes lmtd. edition high quality vinyl pressings, stickers, shirts, hats, b-sides, one-offs, etc.)

Here's a solution:

Announce, then release. "Hey everybody! I'm about to come!.... Came." Release only highquality digital files and debut your "merch" the day of your first show on your upcoming tour. Print better t-shirts and begin selling soundboard recordings of your livesets.

Here, everyone is happy, more people come to your shows, and your sales increase in all lines of business.

You're just pissed off because you have no patience. I'm much more happy to anticipate an album 3 months before it's release and then to finally hear it. Makes you appreciate it more if you have to wait for it. It's sort of like christmas. You know it's coming but you wouldn't wanna bump it forward a couple of months.

Autechre have generally been pretty secretive about things all-around, and the fact that they have yet to release a sampler kind of adds to the mysteriousness. Just relax and wait for it, it really isn't going to be that much longer.

I'm with thehauntingsoul on this one. I'm grateful to have something to look forwrard to.

It's only annoying because I keep coming back to WATMM every day hoping there's going to be an interview posted or something and there's jack shit.

im beginning to think that they havent released any promos to anyone. there is no way, in this day and age, that not a single word about it would be out by now.

edit: they had no problem charging my cc when i ordered it, maybe i can get an interview for the 18 beans in the meantime?

Edited by jules

Guest etis atis
would anyone be so kind to upload the rapidshare one to mediafire?

Guess Zshare be OK too…

http://www.zshare.net/download/719615548148ff01/

WARP records have always been one of the worst label to market their own stars. It's been like that for decades, they continually try and fail each time.

WARP records have always been one of the worst label to market their own stars. It's been like that for decades, they continually try and fail each time.

they are obviously trying very hard. they probably feel like ae doesnt need to be marketed. message board fanboys will do it. but really, message board folks only talk about it with other people who are already interested. if you are in here, you blindly preordered anyway because its fuckin autechre and thats great. but i cant sell it to anyone else.

Here's a solution:

Autechre sez: I promise not to come in your mouth-- GAAHHHERRRRRUGH.

Guest David R James

my thoughts are is that Os Veix3 is a genuine AE track sounds too much like them to be a fake

its a great track, i rate it very highly.'Redfall' has the 'dumpiest' freshest kik I've heard for a while. The moods of 'krylon' i love as well. 'd-sho qub' is brill as well.

I'm not a true autechre fan and couldn't tell the difference if a really good fake was put in front of me, which is one of the reason's why i like this version because i will still like it without the autechre tag, if it turns out to be real or fake, I won't change my mind on this.

Guest etis atis

From A:C last.fm page:

idiotic fake marketing, put this energy into your weak music instead.. real oversteps rip your ass apart
A:C is quite promising project. they need focus work on rhytmical patherns; ambient/lowercase side of their pieces is lame so far.
«There are two of 'em, they're british and hiding under those gasmasks…» lol doesn't that make you think of… uh… anything?

lol @ those

keep in mind, afx fans, that AE just released quaristice 2 years ago.

an ae release every other year is pretty nice for guys who have been doing it for 20 years.

don't bitch.

patience.

Guest Joebot Kill

man who cares about autechre anyway. we've got gonjasufi, lonelady and nice nice now! :facepalm: warp really caters to their listeners.

besides, who really needs plaid, boards of canada, aphex twin, or squarepusher when you've got hudson mohawke. seriously.

79 pages of rubbish. i was fine in january. now, in february, i have trouble sleeping, find myself very restless daily, and my tea never tastes right. i have pre-ordered the vinyl but fear i may not make it.

What would you lot have done in the old days before these internets and leaks and newfangled what-have-you? When records were announced months in advance and then you had to wait painfully til the day of release before owning or sometimes even hearing them? Fuckall, that's what, 'cause you'd all have been working up t'chimneys, or in t'pit instead.

79 pages of rubbish.

Dont worry, its still early days. I think this thread will redeem itself when it reached page 116. It was part of a dream I had last night, when it was March 15th and Oversteps was only a couple of days away. Everything was so much better then.

Edited by feltcher

im beginning to think that they havent released any promos to anyone. there is no way, in this day and age, that not a single word about it would be out by now.

But this isn't true. There was one short preview that nobody thought was real (including me) who said it harkened back to Tri Repetae, and another more detailed one more recently (which apparently was a preview of a longer article or an interview or something) which revealed that the album is very ambient (if I remember right it compared it to Amber) and that there's a possibility that it will be completely beatless.

79 pages of rubbish.

Dont worry, its still early days. I think this thread will redeem itself when it reached page 116. It was part of a dream I had last night, when it was March 15th and Oversteps was only a couple of days away. Everything was so much better then.

feltcher, i know precisely how you feel.