Guest Greg Reason

I’ve recently (thanks to this thread and it’s users) been trying to dive into the world of coil and I just have to say the black light district album is just amazing. If I was blown away by that, where else can I go? 

• Like 1

damn that picture disc IS sexy. the price tag, not so much. sigh

3 hours ago, Upset man said:

I’ve recently (thanks to this thread and it’s users) been trying to dive into the world of coil and I just have to say the black light district album is just amazing. If I was blown away by that, where else can I go? 

Try the Solstice EPs, and then maybe Elph and Time Machines work. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2021 at 5:19 AM, kichiguy said:

Try the Solstice EPs, and then maybe Elph and Time Machines work. 

I'd really like to see a reissue of the Solstice EPs, great collection of tracks. 

On 3/10/2021 at 1:44 AM, Upset man said:

I'd say The Remote Viewer and Astral Disaster would also be worth checking out, along with the above, if you haven't listened to them yet. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 8:14 AM, Upset man said:

Appreciate it! Their catalogue is quite varied and vast and I appreciate having some recommendations for starting points!

My favorites:

Scatology

Horse Rotorvator

Musick To Play In The Dark 1 & 2

Time Machines (excellent drone, if you're into that)

The Ape of Naples

Love's Secret Domain is an essential too.

• Like 2

I grabbed the 2xCD compilation on my recent Cold Spring order, Guide for Beginners / Finishers.  I thought / hoped it may have come with some liner notes or explanation, but there is nothing other than the tracklisting. 

https://coldspring.co.uk/discography/csr288cd

It is indeed a very varied listen! I have very little experience with the Coil back catalogue.  

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, Upset man said:

Appreciate it! Their catalogue is quite varied and vast and I appreciate having some recommendations for starting points!

sth of an overlooked album, but BLACK ANTLERS is one of my favourites and makes for a good introduction to late period coil

also,

On 3/21/2021 at 5:49 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Splurged for the LSD triple picture disc LP. It’s not audiophile quality, but my Coil vinyl collection is mostly mint display copies. $90, not cheap but worth it IMO.

i see the appeal, but as my government didn't give out any stimulus checks i wish they'd just release a normal, good quality vinyl re-issue with no extras and affordable pricing alongside the collector's edition...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For someone who loves lsd, black light and time machines and listens to bits of Musik to play, what should I check out next. I've been enjoying LSD a lot and like that more uptempo techno vibe to Ape of Naples style stuff which although great isn't as much fun of a listen or something...

Cheers me dears

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

On 1/22/2021 at 11:17 AM, kichiguy said:

There will be a Soisong broadcast at Station Essence today, Friday 22 Jan at 20:21 pm CET. I won't be able to tune into the transmission myself but hope someone might record for posterity. 

image.png

So Ivan has kindly made this broadcast available for free on Bandcamp. I can recognise familiar melodic motifs from Soisong jams of yore, as well as some class selections from Datacide, Jon Hassell, etc. So damn good. 

https://coh-official.bandcamp.com/track/soisong-broadcast-1

• Like 2

On 4/22/2021 at 7:14 AM, natios said:

Those soisong broadcasts are the best thing this year, Ivan is the only person who can cast the same magick as coil i find

Not heard #2 yet but the first might be my favourite release so far of 2021, it reminds me a lot of FSOL's The Electric Brain Storm mixes

• Like 1

For those like me still waffling about the various LSD remasters — I realized today that Wax Trax’s remaster is on Bandcamp, quite affordable, and not only that, you get 24bit/96kHz files:

https://coil-lsd-waxtrax.bandcamp.com

I actually haven’t listened yet, but I assume the remaster is good? Anyway, might be worth snagging, definitely wasn’t expecting to be able to get hi-res files for cheap on this one

4 hours ago, ascdi said:

For those like me still waffling about the various LSD remasters — I realized today that Wax Trax’s remaster is on Bandcamp, quite affordable, and not only that, you get 24bit/96kHz files:

https://coil-lsd-waxtrax.bandcamp.com

I actually haven’t listened yet, but I assume the remaster is good? Anyway, might be worth snagging, definitely wasn’t expecting to be able to get hi-res files for cheap on this one

This was what I was afraid of, 3 different competing versions of the same product released almost simultaneously.

http://waxtraxchicago.bigcartel.com/products/

1E8E1944-046A-414C-AF79-224F3D198056.jpeg

95E04BA7-1330-47C7-A649-6E525162581D.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Time Machines available again:

https://coilofficial.bandcamp.com/merch

The splatter vinyl looks fucking sweet.

I’m watching the numbers drop now. When I started viewing on bandcamp it was at 13, now it’s 11. I might pull the trigger.......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My copy of LSD arrived yesterday (Infinite Frog / gold ed) Will be giving it a listen tonight, fingers crossed the pressing is good. The quality of the sleeve, and poster are good, nice and robust.

Anyone order the Dias? would be interested in a comparison. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, Shimon_Shimon said:

My copy of LSD arrived yesterday (Infinite Frog / gold ed) Will be giving it a listen tonight, fingers crossed the pressing is good. The quality of the sleeve, and poster are good, nice and robust.

Anyone order the Dias? would be interested in a comparison. 

still waiting on Kontakt Audio to respond to anything.