IGNORED

ambient techno or idm?

halisray

Guest ruiagnelo

I like Ambient Techno. Sounds better to my ears and goes well with the music style in question.

Guest PWSTEAL

All "IDM" isn't Ambient, so i don't like "Ambient Techno"

The only other title I like besides "IDM" is "Braindance"

But most of the time I just call it "Electro"

electronic

what kind of ambient techno is drukqs? plastikman's musik i'd consider ambient techno. drukqs? no

Yeah I don't know how Gantz Graf could be considered ambient techno.

I just say electronic music. If people want something more specific I say weird, more abstract sorta stuff.

Guest Adam

I use 'experimental' for everything what doesn't fit any description. Very easy and almost always right.

I use 'experimental' for everything what doesn't fit any description. Very easy and almost always right.

I've seen the term "experimental" used for most IDM at some point or another. However... I always thought that was misleading, cos I would argue that labeling something experimental would imply that the experimentation of ideas and the art form is the primary substance of the work of art. So in the case of music (once again using Autechre as an example) I'd say something like Lentic Catachresis could arguably be labeled as experimental, but labeling Bike as experimental might be a bit of a stretch.

But also, the problem with that kind of genre name is that it's subjective, and for all I know, Autechre might have been taking a completely experimental approach to make Bike but making Lentic Catachresis could have been something quite deliberate.

I don't really mind genre names as long as they're broad, like rock, jazz, hip hop, and of course, electronic. Then you can just add adjectives to that or mix two genres to describe something more accurately to someone.

Guest Calx Sherbet

IDM means too much nowadays. but SOME of what you mentioned is ambient techno-ish. but then again i don't think BOC is really either of them

Archived