IGNORED

So Tron Legacy Sucks right?

zazen

I havent seen it yet, but I'm already getting reports that the massively hyped $170,000,000 tron movie sucks.

Can anyone offer a personal perspective on this?

I would also like to remind the court that there's only one sci-fi movie in the last decade that even arguably lived up to its massive hype. Care to guess which movie I'm referring to?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked both District 9 and Children of Men, but I don't know which one you're reffering to. Children... didn't really have massive hype.

edit: and Tron 2 sucking shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone.

Guest Beefuncle

I havent seen it yet, but I'm already getting reports that the massively hyped $170,000,000 tron movie sucks.

Can anyone offer a personal perspective on this?

I would also like to remind the court that there's only one sci-fi movie in the last decade that even arguably lived up to its massive hype. Care to guess which movie I'm referring to?

Star Trek? Avatar?

I've been hearing good things actually, the reviews have been pretty positive and the negative ones are just going on about how the plot is ridiculous and that its too long. The plot being ridiculous - its sci-fi not when harry met sally the more ridiculous the better! and as far as it being too long I'd consider that value for your money :biggrin:

Lets see what we've got;

It looks fucking incredible,

Olivia Wilde in a tight leather costume (so damn hot)

Jeff Bridges riding around on a CGI motorcycle

To be honest it sounds great to me.

Honestly, more movies should be trimmed down to 90 minutes max. Especially stupid blockbusters.

Guest Beefuncle

To be honest it sounds great to me.

Thats the thing isn't it, these movies always sound awesome, but then the 120 minute reality tends to be rather disappointing.

Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece I'm just saying that it has the potential to be at least entertaining. I don't like the look of the main character, he looks very bland which'll probably means the plot isn't going to be very compelling. It was way way over hyped so there probably isn't much substance to it either but then again putting their income aside they may just have wanted it to be a success after the first tron fiasco.

All things considered it probably won't be very good, definitely won't live up to the hype but I'm still going to see it. I thought the first tron was great it was way ahead of its time its a real shame it was such a disaster.

At least theres one thing I know I'll enjoy...

tron_legacy-olivia-wilde.jpg

Children of Men and District 9 did rule. Neither film had massive hype however.

exactly, and avatar is fucking shit, hence why I think he's referring to star trek.

Guest Beefuncle

exactly, and avatar is fucking shit, hence why I think he's referring to star trek.

that was my thinking, there have been no good sci-fi films thatve been hyped, all the recent good ones have been made independently or just appeared,

District 9, Children of Men, Moon etc.

Moon was incredible, Sam Rockwell is a great actor.

It's bloody bum (well that might be a little harsh, more 'quite disappointing' maybe). It's like someone fed in the plot of Star Wars, Lord of the rings, The Matrix, and Gladiator; set it in the Tron universe and left a computer to write the script. And not sure about Michael Sheen channelling the spirit of late 70s era David Bowie either :blink: . What makes the aesthetic so good in the first one is completely lost here with trying to put in extra detail (e.g. dust trails on light cycles - erm, so why is there dust exactly ?!), plus there's a whole bizarre species mythology-plotline-thingy that seems only there to try and spawn a sequel.

The 3D bits are basically just the in Tron-land set pieces (chases and what not)

So yeah, whilst all right - I came out feeling quite let down, less is more I feel. It was mainly the plot and script I had an issue with but the visuals were pretty nice (though for me, visuals come waaaaaaaaaaay below the level of importance than the former criteria.)

Guest Beefuncle

It's bloody bum (well that might be a little harsh, more 'quite disappointing' maybe). It's like someone fed in the plot of Star Wars, Lord of the rings, The Matrix, and Gladiator; set it in the Tron universe and left a computer to write the script. And not sure about Michael Sheen channelling the spirit of late 70s era David Bowie either :blink: . What makes the aesthetic so good in the first one is completely lost here with trying to put in extra detail (e.g. dust trails on light cycles - erm, so why is there dust exactly ?!), plus there's a whole bizarre species mythology-plotline-thingy that seems only there to try and spawn a sequel.

The 3D bits are basically just the in Tron-land set pieces (chases and what not)

So yeah, whilst all right - I came out feeling quite let down, less is more I feel. It was mainly the plot and script I had an issue with but the visuals were pretty nice (though for me, visuals come waaaaaaaaaaay below the level of importance than the former criteria.)

They should've gotten j.j. abrams to direct it, say what you want about the last few seasons of Lost but the man knows suspense.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Since when was Star Trek remake good? I'd go with passable. The only really good sci fi films that I can think of that were hyped up a lot are Wall-E and possibly Iron Man if you count that as sci fi

It sucks because what made the world of the original TRON so compelling was the painstaking, hand-made quality of the visual effects. Here, everything just looks like every other fuckin CG movie and so it's like eating plain mashed potatoes.

I was referring to Avatar - The hype was massive and I know some people hated it, but lots of people really liked it (including some quite hard to please arty types, not just multiplex popcorn munchers), and it spawned an amazing amount of discussion here, metafilter, reddit, everywhere. It was claimed it was going to be a game changer, and it clearly has been because since this time last year there's been about 10 major 3D releases. (edit: and Cameron's 'emotion-capture' tech has got a lot of people excited, but we havent had time to see the effects of that yet)

I'll also take Star Trek as an answer though because it was also massively hyped and turned out pretty good.

(So I'll take back what I said about only one sci-fi movie even arguably living up to its hype)

Children of Men and District 9 were indeed awesome but they weren't hyped by the hollywood hype machine so much.

Possibly Inception would qualify if you count that as sci-fi.

Any other sci-fi movies that lived up to the hype?

The only really good sci fi films that I can think of that were hyped up a lot are Wall-E and possibly Iron Man if you count that as sci fi

Shit, yeah Wall-E and Iron Man were both good too. I guess Iron Man would be Sci-Fi?

Ferngully 3D was completely unwarranted on all fronts.

Edit: The new Tron looks shit, and the soundtrack is awful, but I will wait till I see it before I really hate it.

I'm let you finish, but Avatar was the most successful move of all time dude. OF ALL TIME.

edit: You have the right not to like it however, of course.

edit2: I think I have eaten too many chocolate biscuits. I'll leave this thread alone for a bit

I'm let you finish, but Avatar was the most successful move of all time dude. OF ALL TIME.

edit: You have the right not to like it however, of course.

Until something equally awful and over hyped like Tintin or The Hobbit or All Dogs Go To Heaven 3D is released and all the extra idiots everyone seems to be pushing out go to see that too.

Archived