IGNORED

So Tron Legacy Sucks right?

zazen

Guest disparaissant

the desaturation probably has more to do with the 3D process than it does any sort of conscious aesthetic, tbh. 3D drains the colour out of everything.

i've always heard, convincingly so that brighter colors amount to a more immersive 3d experience. This is why Avatar worked so well for audiences

i think that's largely because avatar was meant to be a theatre movie, and thus was shot with the intention of having an awesome 3d theater experience and not much else. whereas, with tron, i wouldn't doubt that disney was hedging their bets, given that the original tron only succeeded on video...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get all the shit about "needs more orange" and "there are way less colors" and shit. Sark's suit was orange in the first one, Clu's is orange this one. All the "bad guys" are either orange or red. There is a bit more bluishness than the first one I'm sure but to be frank that's like complaining about someone's lightsaber being the wrong color.

Fuck. Shit.

And yeah, haters gonna hate. I had fun. Would see it again, just for the big theatre experience. Guess it all depends on what people feel like they should get out of their cash.

It's 13 euro in ireland to see a 3d movie now,

For that kind of money 3 years ago I'd expect one of the staff to suck me off while i watch it.

Oh I agree, the price was steep here too. Still a bit griped about that. But again, it was fun and I don't go to the movies all the time so meh.

I don't get all the shit about "needs more orange" and "there are way less colors" and shit. Sark's suit was orange in the first one, Clu's is orange this one. All the "bad guys" are either orange or red. There is a bit more bluishness than the first one I'm sure but to be frank that's like complaining about someone's lightsaber being the wrong color.

Fuck. Shit.

And yeah, haters gonna hate. I had fun. Would see it again, just for the big theatre experience. Guess it all depends on what people feel like they should get out of their cash.

Sark's suit was red

:trashbear:

and yes, there is gonna be a lot of hate due to the fact that a lot of people grew up with the original film. like what George Lucas did with Star Wars, Disney is doing the same with TRON. it is already blatantly obvious that it is just a cash cow.

Red orange whatever you get my point. And for what it's worth, I grew up with the original myself, and maybe I just don't take it that damn seriously. Also, disagree with your relating Tron to the Lucas rape of Star Wars. I went to see Episode One and it was just so bad that I walked out, and I still to this day have not seen 2 or 3. Tron doesn't seem to me anywhere NEAR as popular as something like the Star Wars franchise giant, even if they're milking it for all they can get.

Plus I don't think any of the acting in Tron was NEARLY as awful as any of the new Star Wars bullshit

i think what's most irking about the new Tron is that it looks significantly less ground breaking than the original, yet the creators havee 100x the computing power to do something actually ground breaking for today's standards.

i think it just proves the theory that with more technology and tools, peoples creativity doesn't necessarily go up, sometimes it actually does down as a result of having too many possibilities. Where as before on the original tron, they had to push technology in new directions to get the effects to turn out the way they did.

I also feel Tron one was of the only live action Disney movies that effectly conveyed the 'disney magic' that i felt sometimes as a kid. Some of Pixar's newer movies like Walle and Up do this pretty well too, but from what i've seen of Legacy the 'magic' if you will seems completely sucked out

Guest disparaissant

well in all fairness, TRON just hadn't been done before. CGI is just old hat now. if they'd really wanted to do groundbreaking stuff they should have... i dunno, hand animated it? that would be wild.

As fun as it was for me, I do agree with Robbie here. Some of the live action Disney shit from back in the day (Black Hole, Flight Of The Navigator) was really fantastic and pretty much straight sci-fi (show me another kids/family movie that involves time dilation) and if anything I guess I was hoping that with Tron, they'd be going back to making movies not *strictly* meant for kids. Like kids could (and did) watch those earlier flicks, but adults could dig em too, and get different stuff from it. Pixar is probably the closest to this mentality today with stuff like Wall E and so on...

Guest disparaissant

^I'm not convinced his reaction isn't just a combination of him trying to sweet-talk his way into the next sequel and the fact that he probably sleeps with a lifesize Tron bike replica.

well i think he wants to be in the sequel ~because~ he sleeps with a lifesize tron bike replica (soon to be replaced by an olivia wilde realdoll) guy's the epitome of fanboy.

this was fucking awful. i have only a vague memory of the first tron, so nostalgia played no part in my viewing experience, although i don't remember liking it and i don't think it was really as ground breaking as everyone here thinks it is.

every time uncanny valley jeff bridges was on screen i was immediately taken out of the movie, although every time anyone else spoke this happened as well. it's a terribly done special effect. the only thing worse in the movie is michael sheen. holy shit. it's probably the most camp performance i've seen in the last decade. i don't know if he was just going for broke or what. and i like michael sheen. and the exposition. it's everywhere. it never ends. every piece of dialogue is exposition or a bad one liner. the fact that old jeff bridges is essentially playing the dude was just :facepalm: . i paid 16.50 to see this in 3d "imax". i'd rather have william gibson shit in my mouth than ever watch this festering turd again.

Not very excited to see Tron Legacy, I pretty much can't stand that teal blue tone that all sci-fi movies have these days. Either way they played incredibly safe with the visuals from what they've shown on the trailers.

The style they went for the video-clip is much more reminiscent of Tron, which makes me wonder why they went with a more retro style for this instead of the teal look of Legacy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4cgLL8JaVI&hd=1

The style they went for the video-clip is much more reminiscent of Tron, which makes me wonder why they went with a more retro style for this instead of the teal look of Legacy:

As electronic musicians, Daft Punk are contractually obligated to prefer things that came out before 1985.

Guest Mirezzi

All this talk of a remake? The original was a total pile of shit, absolutely unwatchable unless you're being pathetically nostalgic, in which case it's still a horrible movie.

As electronic musicians, Daft Punk are contractually obligated to prefer things that came out before 1985.

They have good taste :)

I'm sure the film studios test audience of 13 year old gamers responded more positively to the new look.

All this talk of a remake? The original was a total pile of shit, absolutely unwatchable unless you're being pathetically nostalgic, in which case it's still a horrible movie.

Cram it down your piehole, back when the original was made kids had this thing called "imagination", and despite the Disney-ripe cheese factor it did speak to people's conceptions/misconceptions of rapidly evolving computer technology at the time.

Guest Mirezzi

Cram it down your piehole, back when the original was made kids had this thing called "imagination", and despite the Disney-ripe cheese factor it did speak to people's conceptions/misconceptions of rapidly evolving computer technology at the time.

That hardly refutes the fact that it was a shit movie, even in 1982. Besides, your argument is pretty weak to begin with. I was 7 years old at the time of Tron's release and it was boring as fuck. Blade Runner was released the same year for crying out loud, so even if you weren't allowed to see it because it was rated R, I doubt most kids gave a flying fuck about the "conceptions/misconceptions of rapidly evolving computer technology at the time." If you were an adult, you went to see Blade Runner. So what were the kids left with? A strangely homoerotic, dull, and insufferably long Disney turd.

Guest Clipwave

saw it, 10/10, probably one f my fave films of the year, really good, really enjoyable

You could be being sarcastic (this is the internet after all) but seriously, I feel like all the discussion on this movie is either this or "fuck this the original was better/new one sucks".

Honestly, it wasn't grade-A cinema, but I think polemics of either kind are uncalled for, considering it's basically just a cool-looking action movie that takes itself far too seriously. If you have no ability to enjoy action sequences (or Jeff Bridges doing his thing) then you're kind of a killjoy, but if you make this out to be the best film of the year you need to get out more. It was decent, nothing more nothing less, and not really worth overheated discussion.

Guest ruiagnelo

000165.JPG

Tron-Legacy-Jeff-Bridges-Young.jpg

is bridge's character supposed to look younger? or is it a huge amount of digital makeup?

i am not familiar with the tron universe and its story..

Guest Clipwave

000165.JPG

Tron-Legacy-Jeff-Bridges-Young.jpg

is bridge's character supposed to look younger? or is it a huge amount of digital makeup?

i am not familiar with the tron universe and its story..

It's a CGI bridges when he looks younger

Actually very creepy when you see it in the opening scenes of the film

Also worth noting: the movie has 2 different Jeff Bridges characters, one old and one young

Archived