Guest Gary C

Yeah, I'm not sure about the 3D aspect yet. Avatar was good for its effects, but the technology didn't heighten my experience at all, and I agree when many people complain that it darkens the overall image.

Plus, a few times in Avatar my eyes/brain would tire and I would be pulled out of the experience when everything went double-vision. Fuck that.

Ridley says he planned to make this 3D, and it's not something pushed on him. I'm sure he's excited by the technology, but meh...

Edit: Although, actually. A scene like this probably needs to be seen in 3D.

Banner_Prometheus5.png

Reminds me of the VR solar-system from Mission to Mars.

Edited by Gary C

The cinemas won't get a fucking penny from me if they force people to watch these talkies

While I understand your point of 'progress', 3D stuff gives me headaches.

I've never been more nervous for a movie to suck. If this movie sucks i don't know what I will do. I think I'm so anxious and nervous that I would just prefer that this movie had never been made.

This is the moment I think I need to remind you about the sleepless nights before Terminator 2 was released. Your mom told me, etc....

Guest couch

This will be my first modern 3d experience in the cinema so aside from being a bit miffed at the price I'm hoping it's cool.

The cinemas won't get a fucking penny from me if they force people to watch these talkies

sadly those with poor eyesight tend to suffer more from this i.e. if you have wear glasses for everyday use the perspective your brain is used too with be different from what the 3D cinema will force on you hence your eyes will strain more to compensate to how you normally see things.

You cant please all of the people all of the time and Im sure there will b plenty of 2D showings too especially as this will be 'the' film of the summer (shoot me Marvel)

The cinemas won't get a fucking penny from me if they force people to watch this in 3D

http://youtu.be/Ua5smxPXy8E

Cool idea. But still doesn't magically cut the price of the ticket, which is a major gripe of mine.

sadly those with poor eyesight tend to suffer more from this i.e. if you have wear glasses for everyday use the perspective your brain is used too with be different from what the 3D cinema will force on you hence your eyes will strain more to compensate to how you normally see things.

You cant please all of the people all of the time and Im sure there will b plenty of 2D showings too especially as this will be 'the' film of the summer (shoot me Marvel)

Yep, being someone that has to wear glasses all the time, it really fucks with my eyes.

As for it being shown in 2D, I dunno man.... TRON Legacy wasn't shown in 2D at all around here...not even in Liverpool. Only 3D showings. and that was a pretty 'big' film. I can easily foresee the cinemas only having 3D showings so as to rape people's wallets.

Guest Gary C

I never considered that, but yeah, I did get some eye-strain and loss of focus during Avatar, probably because I have a pretty bad astigmatism.

Edited by Gary C

I'll watch this in 2d just in case.

I watched Avatar in 3d and loved the 3d part because it saved the fun part of the whole experience, but for a real movie it feels a bit childish.

hmmm i dunno, im thinking that if 3d be used anywhere it is here, on a real sci fi film, if used correctly it could blow minds. but then again the only experience i have of it is avatar and that sucked balls.

fucksake

I keep forgetting that this movie is meant to be in 3D. Myself and 2 mates have already decided that we are driving to the Imax in Birmingham to see this. Proper road trip material.

This is pretty cool.

https://www.weylandindustries.com/#/timeline

Edited by feltcher

hmmm i dunno, im thinking that if 3d be used anywhere it is here, on a real sci fi film, if used correctly it could blow minds. but then again the only experience i have of it is avatar and that sucked balls.

fucksake

Now that you said it like that I kinda agree.

Guest Gary C

I keep forgetting that this movie is meant to be in 3D. Myself and 2 mates have already decided that we are driving to the Imax in Birmingham to see this. Proper road trip material.

This is pretty cool.

https://www.weylandi....com/#/timeline

Now IMAX would be something else. I've never been before, but it sounds amazing. Unfortunately I think my nearest is in London.

to counteract Fred's sound statements of fact (I am also getting 'Prometheus' anxiety)

I am now completely expecting this film to suck ass butts.

I would rather see 'Night of the Comets 2' directed by Tommy Wiseau.

This movie will be terrible.

I already feel better.

odds are it will be terrible though. Ridley Scott hasn't made a great film in quite some time.

Also, and I'm going to be a heretic here, as a film the original Alien is just "very good." What elevates it to the classic status is that it was groundbreaking (the ideas behind it, and pioneering the genre of space horror), and the art direction is second-to-none. But in terms of the filmmaking and editing? Mmm, it's less than perfect. The ending sequence leading up to the escape pod drags on for too long, has epilepsy-inducing flashing lights, and is somewhat incoherent. IMO.

Same thing with Blade Runner (though I think it fares better). Genius-level art direction, and some brilliant philosophical issues, but the film itself drags a bit. And the ending was botched - was that solely the studio's fault?

In any case my point is Scott has made a few of the classic, seminal sci-fi flicks, but they were not without their flaws. I think he's always had trouble with pacing, editing, and with making the viewer emotionally invested in characters (something Cameron does better, whether you find him childish or manipulative or both). I sort of wonder if Scott was ever as good as we all thought he was, or if he kind of blundered into being a pioneer, the same way it seems Lucas did.