IGNORED

post something controversial about you

Guest ezkerraldean

"yeah it wasn't bad but "

My brother once told me that nothing before the word 'but' counts.

Btw I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. lol. i haven't run into the scenario you describe.

Edited by Brisbot

21 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

My brother once told me that nothing before the word 'but' counts.

Btw I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. lol. i haven't run into the scenario you describe.

What if you phrase it as "But, it wasn't really that bad"?

Just now, Joyrex said:

What if you phrase it as "But, it wasn't really that bad"?

*shrugs* then it calls into question the writing in game of thrones.

Usually when I use that phrase I know I won't be revisiting the thing that I don't think is that bad.

Twin Peaks is great. I never got a chance to watch the third season.

*fires up Pirate Bay*

Just now, Braintree said:

Twin Peaks is great. I never got a chance to watch the third season.

*fires up Pirate Bay*

I'm always surprised that site is still around, even though tons of people are serving many years in jail for housing the servers and what not.

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

I have a friend who is full on pc and he pointed it out to me the other day. He's an encyclopedia of things you're not supposed to say. 

Peanut gallery refers to the back of old theatres, where the rowdiest-heckliest patrons would get ushered off to so as to be less annoying for the performers.  Maybe offensive to people who aren't really that rowdy that get unfairly lumped into the peanut gallery, I suppose.

Just now, Zephyr_Nova said:

Peanut gallery refers to the back of old theatres, where the rowdiest-heckliest patrons would get ushered off to so as to be less annoying for the performers.  Maybe offensive to people who aren't really that rowdy that get unfairly lumped into the peanut gallery, I suppose.

oh yeah. you can probably tell I never looked it up. He said it was a racist/segregation thing where it was annoying enough if a black person was sitting up front simply watching the play.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:16 PM, StephenG said:

I have also never watched twin peaks

(somehow) I watched about a dozen episodes, then I realised I go to sleep every night and have spaced out dreams which is the equivalent of watching Twin Peaks

if you dream hard, I can't see the point of watching it, in fact my dreams are better tbh

I guess I should finish it off, too many people I like and respect seem to love it. A bit like Syro lol.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:55 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Why peanut allergy?

just cos, it's a massive pain in the arse eating out, Thai food is a no go, curries you need a specials speech prepared, then when the peanuts actually kick in the adrenaline shot is simply the best rush of all time so i sell NHS prescribed epipens on dark net markets (pm for voucher coupons)

also, i played international age-level sport in what's traditionally a (fkn) mainly English (all cunts) game

being rapidly anti-English during club & international sports, the last lingering remnants of bigotry deemed acceptable this side of the border

equally all of the hypocrisy above after living in Inglan (is a bitch) for over a decade

10 minutes ago, beer badger said:

(somehow) I watched about a dozen episodes, then I realised I go to sleep every night and have spaced out dreams which is the equivalent of watching Twin Peaks

if you dream hard, I can't see the point of watching it, in fact my dreams are better tbh

I guess I should finish it off, too many people I like and respect seem to love it. A bit like Syro lol.

Twin Peaks S1+S2 were groundbreaking for their time, but can see how in the modern era they can seem pretty tame. Hard to understate how many doors the show opened up for shows that came down the line. . . Also worth noting that Lynch's influence waned throughout Season 2 past a particular point, so you may not find it as "good" moving through (though the last episode sort of makes up for, well, everything). 

Season 3 is a different matter altogether, and is, essentially, Lynch's magnum opus. It collates everything he has done before (in all mediums) and adds to it. Pretty much obliterates the existing conventions of TV. If you don't like Lynch, you will absolutely hate Season 3. If you love Lynch, it's nothing less than a fucking masterpiece.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Twin Peaks S1+S2 were groundbreaking for their time, but can see how in the modern era they can seem pretty tame.

first time i watched TP i was in my early 20's and i loved it... it was 10 years after it came out... no excuses... ^◊^

Edited by Tim_J
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Twin Peaks S1+S2 were groundbreaking for their time, but can see how in the modern era they can seem pretty tame. Hard to understate how many doors the show opened up for shows that came down the line. . . Also worth noting that Lynch's influence waned throughout Season 2 past a particular point, so you may not find it as "good" moving through (though the last episode sort of makes up for, well, everything). 

Season 3 is a different matter altogether, and is, essentially, Lynch's magnum opus. It collates everything he has done before (in all mediums) and adds to it. Pretty much obliterates the existing conventions of TV. If you don't like Lynch, you will absolutely hate Season 3. If you love Lynch, it's nothing less than a fucking masterpiece.   

I can see the boxset on the end of my shelf, it bugs me that I never finished it. Just need to knuckle down and get it done. I'm pretty sure I will.

12 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

the Nazis won the uniforms style-war during WWII

Hahah where the fuck did that come from? Maybe I missed something....

21 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I can see the boxset on the end of my shelf, it bugs me that I never finished it. Just need to knuckle down and get it done. I'm pretty sure I will.

At the risk of saying the opposite of something controversial in a "post something controversial thread": it's also possible it's not for you? Obs I love it, but it has it's own particular vibe, and not everyone vibrates on the same wavelength (well, except for me and Tim J ?). Seems hard to recommend something that someone feels like they need to "push through" ya know? Should be fun not painful. . .

Though, if you DID want to push through, here's my recommended approach: Set aside a couple of weekends, an 1/8th, lock yourself in a dark room, and blaze through. This is particularly helpful (IMOP) in Season 2 b/c binging it all at once helps even out some of "searching" the show seems to do in the latter half after a particular mid-season reveal I won't mention here. Plus, it puts you in the right head state for the last episode which is so wonderfully WEIRD and Lynch that being a little liminal probably doesn't hurt. 

If you make it that far, come back and we'll talk about how to approach Season 3 ?

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, user said:

Whaaaaaaaatttttt. In what sense though? Maybe Martin gore is a better singer but surely Dave Gahan’s voice wins. 

Martin Gore has exceptional control, a unique vibratto, perfect pitch, and really connects with whatever he's singing on an emotional level (or at least sounds like he does).  Gahan has a little bit less of all those things, though is still a remarkable vocalist.  He just happens to be in a band with that one in a mil person who's even better.  Kind of crazy to think about.  He must be pretty humble to let go of the reigns for lead vocal duty.  He clearly could be doing it all (vocals in addition to songwriting).

... Gore's voice is too smooth for the grittier deliveries tho... that's the only area where he really needs Gahan to step in.  What does Gahan do when Martin sings lead, anyway?  Always wondered that.  Martin sings lead on like half of that Black Celebration album.