IGNORED

New Album Placeholder

Guest southside jim

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What bothers me about this is the clear intention to needle desperate fans. I mean, really? A blank spot on their discography? Why not just wait until there's an album cover to put there? The only purpose I can see for putting in a blank jpg that you will only later replace with another is to poke us. As far as I'm concerned it's time to stop screwing around and deliver.

Think I just noticed a new addition : when you look at the page with your eyes extremely close to the screen moving your head back and forth, some colors begin to appear randomly after about ten minutes :boc: !

:-) :-)

Holy shit, you're right, I think I can hear some faint sounds as well!

What bothers me about this is the clear intention to needle desperate fans. I mean, really? A blank spot on their discography? Why not just wait until there's an album cover to put there? The only purpose I can see for putting in a blank jpg that you will only later replace with another is to poke us. As far as I'm concerned it's time to stop screwing around and deliver.

hit the nail on the head.

I suppose you could look at as 'needling', but to others it's a sign of hope.

Watch - they'll see posts like this, remove the square, and all the fanboys will go into a rage saying we pissed BoC off by complaining :emotawesomepm9:

Guest cult fiction

Everything I thought was going to happen in 2010 is coming true in 2011... just need an announcement for this and afx's new album and 2011 will be the best year for electronic music since like 2001... very excited!

that's fair. i see it as a sign of hope, too. and i am looking forward to a new album, it just seems like they could have built some hype and excitement in a much more creative way.

Watch - they'll see posts like this, remove the square, and all the fanboys will go into a rage saying we pissed BoC off by complaining :emotawesomepm9:

don't worry, rex, i'll take full responsibility if that happens. :wink:

don't know why you can't understand that this whole "ooooh look we might be releasing an album, we might not be" brinksmanship would rub people up the wrong way.

they won't come out and give official word on the album, whether they're working on it or not. yet we have things like this placeholder popping up, and unreliable promises from MDG.

from my point of view, Boards of Canada shouldn't need to hype up their own hype machine of hyping up-ness just to bring attention to the slight possibility that they might be switching on their equipment to see if the CS-80 needs to be serviced so it can sit there unused for another 5 years. they have enough clout just from their name. they could make an announcement and that would be enough.

i would personally think it would be better to stay quiet. in the same sense that 3D Realms should've kept their mouths shut about Duke Nukem Forever. even though i will be buying the game, it will never live up to the hype.

neither with the Boards of Canada album. if it even exists.

This is it.

No respect for their fans. So I cant be arsed giving them respect. Regardless of any way Joyrex wants to spin it.

You're all so fucking miserable. :biggrin: I think this is a sign of something, God, it's only March. Let's just wait and see, we've waited for sixish years, I'm sure we can wait a bit longer now we have the closest to proper news on the official site. :boc:

i blame the fanboys for creating the mystery and intrigue. it's rubbed off on boc and i bet they think that if they wait a long time it will drive their fans crazy.

not like aphex twin or others, those guys don't tease their fans, they just release when they want to.

amirighT?

siigh

i blame the fanboys for creating the mystery and intrigue. it's rubbed off on boc and i bet they think that if they wait a long time it will drive their fans crazy.

not like aphex twin or others, those guys don't tease their fans, they just release when they want to.

amirighT?

siigh

No.

You're completely wrong.

don't know why you can't understand that this whole "ooooh look we might be releasing an album, we might not be" brinksmanship would rub people up the wrong way.

they won't come out and give official word on the album, whether they're working on it or not. yet we have things like this placeholder popping up, and unreliable promises from MDG.

from my point of view, Boards of Canada shouldn't need to hype up their own hype machine of hyping up-ness just to bring attention to the slight possibility that they might be switching on their equipment to see if the CS-80 needs to be serviced so it can sit there unused for another 5 years. they have enough clout just from their name. they could make an announcement and that would be enough.

i would personally think it would be better to stay quiet. in the same sense that 3D Realms should've kept their mouths shut about Duke Nukem Forever. even though i will be buying the game, it will never live up to the hype.

Oh, I understand it - I think what many of the fanboys DON'T understand is it's NOT brinkmanship; they're not doing anything (and that's what annoys some people, I suppose). Beyond MDG giving us tidbits of information, there has been NO official (from WARP or BoC) announcement they are even working on an album (forgive me if that's incorrect; it's only be half a decade :emotawesomepm9: ), let alone a release date, etc. They have been staying quiet (as you suggested), and the only reasons MDG has said anything was out of some sort of respect for the fans (or perhaps it was pity :emotawesomepm9: ), and certainly not to wind them up. I think Boards knows it's fanbase, and doesn't need to pander or neglect them in any way they feel isn't appropriate.

And honestly, to compare the hype-machine that was 3D Realms to Boards... I think you're more than a bit off the mark with that statement.

I didn't see anyone wailing and gnashing their teeth that Seefeel took 7 years for their album to come out...

Oh, I understand it - I think what many of the fanboys DON'T understand is it's NOT brinkmanship; they're not doing anything (and that's what annoys some people, I suppose). Beyond MDG giving us tidbits of information, there has been NO official (from WARP or BoC) announcement they are even working on an album (forgive me if that's incorrect; it's only be half a decade :emotawesomepm9: ), let alone a release date, etc. They have been staying quiet (as you suggested), and the only reasons MDG has said anything was out of some sort of respect for the fans (or perhaps it was pity :emotawesomepm9: ), and certainly not to wind them up. I think Boards knows it's fanbase, and doesn't need to pander or neglect them in any way they feel isn't appropriate.

And honestly, to compare the hype-machine that was 3D Realms to Boards... I think you're more than a bit off the mark with that statement.

I didn't see anyone wailing and gnashing their teeth that Seefeel took 7 years for their album to come out...

i don't think i'm off the mark at all. fact of the matter is, both yourself and the admins of the loonies at another forum that shall remain nameless have bestowed upon MDG the "official hexagon sun spokesperson" title, and as such is taken by many to be the voice of BoC on the internet. when he makes statements they're taken by many to be gospel. he (and by proxy, BoC) hyped the notion of an album coming out for the best part of 2 years. along with this stunt of the placeholder, it just pisses me off.

and i'm obviously not the only person it's pissing off.

and in reference to your comment about Seefeel, i don't think they were dropping hints about an album during their hiatus and then continually not delivering.

If the Sandison's do ever decide to rejoin the real world I shudder to think how Warp are going to milk it, especially after the costly Ae and Brian Eno editions.

If the Sandison's do ever decide to rejoin the real world I shudder to think how Warp are going to milk it, especially after the costly Ae and Brian Eno editions.

lol sorry you can't lump oversteps (at £29.99) with Small Drop Of Cum On A Jacobs Cream Cracker (at £60)

one of them is an average price for a nice box set, the other is extortion.

Guest couch

The placeholder box should be taken down on April 1 with nothing said about it at all.

Considering the last time something "BoC" happened on April 1, I think most of twoism would explode.

have any of you nerds thought about the fact that they might be contractually obligated to keep quiet about the album and this is their way of giving us a wink?

not everything is sinister. get a life you pathetic pieces of garbage.

have any of you nerds thought about the fact that they might be contractually obligated to keep quiet about the album and this is their way of giving us a wink?

not everything is sinister. get a life you pathetic pieces of garbage.

if that were true, MDG wouldn't be allowed to say the things he had.

thanks for your co-operation :facepalm:

No respect for their fans. So I cant be arsed giving them respect. Regardless of any way Joyrex wants to spin it.

to be fair to BoC, I don't think they have no respect for us, i just think they are either a) a bit too caught up in the mystique of the project and okay with being incredibly obtuse about things or b) completely oblivious to the fact that people even notice this stuff and that it might rub people the wrong way.

if/when a new LP comes out i will be buying it, because i genuinely enjoy their work. i don't think it's a lack of respect thing, i think it's an out-of-touchness. they could be obtuse and mysterious while also being clear that they are building to something (which i'd be fine with), rather than leaving the possibility that they accidentally uploaded the wrong file to their webpage, which happened to have a white square on it, which leads to overexitement/bitchiness (i include myself in that) and/or disappointment. i just don't see how this is a productive move for them.

this is their way of giving us a wink?

as i mentioned above, i don't see how this is at all productive for them. no wink at all is better than this needling or whatever it is

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

i don't think i'm off the mark at all. fact of the matter is, both yourself and the admins of the loonies at another forum that shall remain nameless have bestowed upon MDG the "official hexagon sun spokesperson" title, and as such is taken by many to be the voice of BoC on the internet. when he makes statements they're taken by many to be gospel. he (and by proxy, BoC) hyped the notion of an album coming out for the best part of 2 years. along with this stunt of the placeholder, it just pisses me off.

you used to patronize that site daily until you were shamed out. its well gay but drop the grudge ugly.

Archived