IGNORED

New Album Placeholder

Guest southside jim

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems none of you have fully grasped the implications of a new BoC album: it might mean Skytree would return, to bless us with more of his pine-scented brainfarts

I am not too sure, once he started to make new age music for beauty parlors he was too good for this place.

Guest Dogboy73

Has it changed colour? Its grey & turns white when you rollover. It turns black when clicked. I thought it was black all the time before ............ Can't quite believe I'm getting swept along in all this nonsense!! wetting our bloody knickers over a placeholder indeed! Is this how we were brought up??!! Fucking shame on us!!!

Guest Dogboy73

^I don't think so. It's been like that the whole time for me.

Oh. I thought it was black before ......

.... OH S**T WAIT,

........ IT'S

.......... ah, no it hasn't :-(

What bothers me about this is the clear intention to needle desperate fans. I mean, really? A blank spot on their discography? Why not just wait until there's an album cover to put there? The only purpose I can see for putting in a blank jpg that you will only later replace with another is to poke us. As far as I'm concerned it's time to stop screwing around and deliver.

I suppose you could look at as 'needling', but to others it's a sign of hope.

Watch - they'll see posts like this, remove the square, and all the fanboys will go into a rage saying we pissed BoC off by complaining :emotawesomepm9:

don't know why you can't understand that this whole "ooooh look we might be releasing an album, we might not be" brinksmanship would rub people up the wrong way.

they won't come out and give official word on the album, whether they're working on it or not. yet we have things like this placeholder popping up, and unreliable promises from MDG.

from my point of view, Boards of Canada shouldn't need to hype up their own hype machine of hyping up-ness just to bring attention to the slight possibility that they might be switching on their equipment to see if the CS-80 needs to be serviced so it can sit there unused for another 5 years. they have enough clout just from their name. they could make an announcement and that would be enough.

i would personally think it would be better to stay quiet. in the same sense that 3D Realms should've kept their mouths shut about Duke Nukem Forever. even though i will be buying the game, it will never live up to the hype.

neither with the Boards of Canada album. if it even exists.

Oh, I understand it - I think what many of the fanboys DON'T understand is it's NOT brinkmanship; they're not doing anything (and that's what annoys some people, I suppose). Beyond MDG giving us tidbits of information, there has been NO official (from WARP or BoC) announcement they are even working on an album (forgive me if that's incorrect; it's only be half a decade :emotawesomepm9: ), let alone a release date, etc. They have been staying quiet (as you suggested), and the only reasons MDG has said anything was out of some sort of respect for the fans (or perhaps it was pity :emotawesomepm9: ), and certainly not to wind them up. I think Boards knows it's fanbase, and doesn't need to pander or neglect them in any way they feel isn't appropriate.

And honestly, to compare the hype-machine that was 3D Realms to Boards... I think you're more than a bit off the mark with that statement.

I didn't see anyone wailing and gnashing their teeth that Seefeel took 7 years for their album to come out...

i don't think i'm off the mark at all. fact of the matter is, both yourself and the admins of the loonies at another forum that shall remain nameless have bestowed upon MDG the "official hexagon sun spokesperson" title, and as such is taken by many to be the voice of BoC on the internet. when he makes statements they're taken by many to be gospel. he (and by proxy, BoC) hyped the notion of an album coming out for the best part of 2 years. along with this stunt of the placeholder, it just pisses me off.

and i'm obviously not the only person it's pissing off.

and in reference to your comment about Seefeel, i don't think they were dropping hints about an album during their hiatus and then continually not delivering.

MDG can speak for the band - what you're (wrongly) equating with that is when he speaks regarding BoC, it's set in stone, will happen, etc. - I would call the radio silence and near-zero mention of a new album by BoC/mdg hardly "hype". And this "stunt" of putting a placeholder - it would be a stunt only if nothing comes of it, as the last time they did this, a new album DID come out shortly thereafter.

And no, Seefeel didn't (as far as I can recall) drop hints they were working on a new album, but I am sure if prompted the band would have said something (Seefeel fans help me out here) if there were plans in the works.

seefeel played a few shows (even before the Warp20 thing) before getting into the studio

Yeah, and BoC hasn't played a show since 2001, and has several releases since then. What's your point?

What bothers me about this is the clear intention to needle desperate fans. I mean, really? A blank spot on their discography? Why not just wait until there's an album cover to put there? The only purpose I can see for putting in a blank jpg that you will only later replace with another is to poke us. As far as I'm concerned it's time to stop screwing around and deliver.

I suppose you could look at as 'needling', but to others it's a sign of hope.

Watch - they'll see posts like this, remove the square, and all the fanboys will go into a rage saying we pissed BoC off by complaining :emotawesomepm9:

don't know why you can't understand that this whole "ooooh look we might be releasing an album, we might not be" brinksmanship would rub people up the wrong way.

they won't come out and give official word on the album, whether they're working on it or not. yet we have things like this placeholder popping up, and unreliable promises from MDG.

from my point of view, Boards of Canada shouldn't need to hype up their own hype machine of hyping up-ness just to bring attention to the slight possibility that they might be switching on their equipment to see if the CS-80 needs to be serviced so it can sit there unused for another 5 years. they have enough clout just from their name. they could make an announcement and that would be enough.

i would personally think it would be better to stay quiet. in the same sense that 3D Realms should've kept their mouths shut about Duke Nukem Forever. even though i will be buying the game, it will never live up to the hype.

neither with the Boards of Canada album. if it even exists.

Oh, I understand it - I think what many of the fanboys DON'T understand is it's NOT brinkmanship; they're not doing anything (and that's what annoys some people, I suppose). Beyond MDG giving us tidbits of information, there has been NO official (from WARP or BoC) announcement they are even working on an album (forgive me if that's incorrect; it's only be half a decade :emotawesomepm9: ), let alone a release date, etc. They have been staying quiet (as you suggested), and the only reasons MDG has said anything was out of some sort of respect for the fans (or perhaps it was pity :emotawesomepm9: ), and certainly not to wind them up. I think Boards knows it's fanbase, and doesn't need to pander or neglect them in any way they feel isn't appropriate.

And honestly, to compare the hype-machine that was 3D Realms to Boards... I think you're more than a bit off the mark with that statement.

I didn't see anyone wailing and gnashing their teeth that Seefeel took 7 years for their album to come out...

i don't think i'm off the mark at all. fact of the matter is, both yourself and the admins of the loonies at another forum that shall remain nameless have bestowed upon MDG the "official hexagon sun spokesperson" title, and as such is taken by many to be the voice of BoC on the internet. when he makes statements they're taken by many to be gospel. he (and by proxy, BoC) hyped the notion of an album coming out for the best part of 2 years. along with this stunt of the placeholder, it just pisses me off.

and i'm obviously not the only person it's pissing off.

and in reference to your comment about Seefeel, i don't think they were dropping hints about an album during their hiatus and then continually not delivering.

MDG can speak for the band - what you're (wrongly) equating with that is when he speaks regarding BoC, it's set in stone, will happen, etc. - I would call the radio silence and near-zero mention of a new album by BoC/mdg hardly "hype". And this "stunt" of putting a placeholder - it would be a stunt only if nothing comes of it, as the last time they did this, a new album DID come out shortly thereafter.

sorry, but i gotta say you're doing a fucking good job at doublethink on yourself there Joyrex.

also i think we both have very different definitions of what stunt means.

If I was a more paranoid man, Id be suspicious of why Joyrex is so set on defending BoC.

Lucky I know better :cisfor:

hang on.

joyrex is the lost sandison!

Maybe he's The Aphex Twins

BoC obviously do things their way. I think some of us (me included) sometimes take it personaly, perhaps its because we love their music so much and yet it seems we get little in return. Being a fan of BoC is sometimes a thankless task.

Guest AudioDile

After having read a good year's worth of posts here, it seems just a wee bit ridiculous to watch people shit on Joyrex, Twoism or anyone new that doesn't have a degree in BoCology. I realize that we're all a little edgy about waiting forever with nothing to show for it but vague hints and promises, but a few of you people need to get fucking laid, badly.

This may come as a shock, but you don't have to be a mirthless dick to be a "real fan". At least Twoism members have actually MADE something creative; whether you think the One on Twoism series is great or crap, making a track is a lot more impressive than making bullshit fake Catalog 3 threads and posting "read the rules" when you can't think of anything intelligent or interesting to say.

Archived