IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

its cause he used to sing in a screamer emo band, and he's like the messiah of emo kids now, bringing them out of the darkness and horrible goth music, to the light of the drugs and rave scene, and horrible electronic music.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you guys seriously not noticed the pattern with popular music yet? An underground genre will gain listeners until it becomes popular and then mainstream versions start appearing. This has been happening since the very beginning of pop music and you guys are bitching about it like it's something new?

Have you guys seriously not noticed the pattern with popular music yet? An underground genre will gain listeners until it becomes popular and then mainstream versions start appearing. This has been happening since the very beginning of pop music and you guys are bitching about it like it's something new?

If this were Reddit, i'd insist on this being the top comment!

If this were Reddit, i'd insist on this being the top comment!

Yep, talking about him and it diminishes us. I feel your pain 'bro's', but there's better things to do with our time.

the golden age of idm is over and has been for awhile.

turdly music like this are the funeral procession and a sign of the times.

sadness ensues in my heart.

well look at it this way, would you rather have someone like skrillex or someone like justin timberlake or justin bieber all of a sudden becoming a smash hit dubstep dj with way more popularity and money than you will ever have? someone else said skrillex is more tolerable than deadmau5 or britney spears dubstep. im not sure if that's true cause ive never really heard deadmau5, but it sounds right.

whaz wrong with all dose nu "future garage" songs where all you can hear is dat lo-fi burial dub beetz?

it doesnt get on yor nerves just wobble does it???

most of da songs posted on other thread are with this 2-steps lo-fy beetz...

lulz

You're right, it's not something new, but I find the process so quick and overwhelming that it's worth discussing (i.e. angry venting). "Punk" went from the Sex Pistols to Avril Lavigne, but that occurred over two and half decades, and most people were fully aware of the fact that she was a joke.

I'm getting tired of ranting about all of this myself, at the end of the day it's same old story with electronic music in general. Any WATMMer knows the feeling of not being able to simply say "I like electronic music/techno/etc" without a good chance of people assuming you listen to shit.

well look at it this way, would you rather have someone like skrillex or someone like justin timberlake or justin bieber all of a sudden becoming a smash hit dubstep dj with way more popularity and money than you will ever have?

Good point, though I'm not sure any "huge" Top40 person could be taken seriously as a DJ/producer...they have all their songs written and played out by industry producers and DJs already.

someone else said skrillex is more tolerable than deadmau5 or britney spears dubstep. im not sure if that's true cause ive never really heard deadmau5, but it sounds right.

Deadmau5 is better than shrillex i think.

I can actually listen to deadmua5. All the tracks sound the same anyway.

1. shrillex lol

2. I think deadmau5 is more tolerable myself, but it's just dull house-y EDM, so I can see the novelty of Skrillex in comparison. also, and I'm being completely serious here, the most recent Britney spears album is technically and sonically leagues above skrillex. Another reason 15 year olds who hate her but probably like Skrillex (and probably shop at Hot Topic) are so hilarious.

whaz wrong with all dose nu "future garage" songs where all you can hear is dat lo-fi burial dub beetz?

lulz

You're right, it's not something new, but I find the process so quick and overwhelming that it's worth discussing (i.e. angry venting). "Punk" went from the Sex Pistols to Avril Lavigne, but that occurred over two and half decades, and most people were fully aware of the fact that she was a joke.

I'm getting tired of ranting about all of this myself, at the end of the day it's same old story with electronic music in general. Any WATMMer knows the feeling of not being able to simply say "I like electronic music/techno/etc" without a good chance of people assuming you listen to shit.

well look at it this way, would you rather have someone like skrillex or someone like justin timberlake or justin bieber all of a sudden becoming a smash hit dubstep dj with way more popularity and money than you will ever have?

Good point, though I'm not sure any "huge" Top40 person could be taken seriously as a DJ/producer...they have all their songs written and played out by industry producers and DJs already.

someone else said skrillex is more tolerable than deadmau5 or britney spears dubstep. im not sure if that's true cause ive never really heard deadmau5, but it sounds right.

1. shrillex lol

2. I think deadmau5 is more tolerable myself, but it's just dull house-y EDM, so I can see the novelty of Skrillex in comparison. also, and I'm being completely serious here, the most recent Britney spears album is technically and sonically leagues above skrillex. Another reason 15 year olds who hate her but probably like Skrillex (and probably shop at Hot Topic) are so hilarious.

why do u say music is the s word just cuz u dont like it dosent mean its bad

That was uhm, interesting. And you guys were having this same exact discussion in April 2011 ffs. modey / joshuaXuxxx why are you still going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about this? fuckoff. kthxbye.

lulz

1. shrillex lol

why do u say music is the s word just cuz u dont like it dosent mean its bad

It's how I feel when I tell someone I like electronic music and they ask me if I like DJ Tiesto. Should of been more clear I guess. I just don't think that kind of thing occurs as often when you tell people you like hip-hop or rock.

the most recent Britney spears album is technically and sonically leagues above skrillex.

care to elaborate?

I've listened to both and found it to be more enjoyable, better composed, less abrasive, better mixed, etc. That's all.

That was uhm, interesting. And you guys were having this same exact discussion in April 2011 ffs. modey / joshuaXuxxx why are you still going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about this? fuckoff. kthxbye.

Noted. Alright who else thinks the Doors are Bro-rock? :emotawesomepm9: But really, I'm done ranting. Just wanted to give these answers.

This is the definitive end of about skillrex. He might as well be britney spears. Given the distance between him and the creative process involved in generating the music his fans believe that he actually had some hand in creating.

so where did i miss the reason to hate skrillex? i checked out some tracks on youtube and they're awesome. is it not cool to like melodic dance music anymore?

People just love to hate on the popular cool kids that are trending. Skrillex has huge talent. The guy successfully transitioned from being the singer of a well known hardcore band to being the darling child of dubstep almost overnight. How many people can do something like that? And he does it all using just a laptop with Ableton Live. The guy doesn't even have a proper midi controller and he's making music that rips people's heads off and tons of producers are trying to emulate. Major props to him. I don't care what anyone says.

sorry, it's kind of an argumentative cop-out to employ this observation, but the fact that you actually BOUGHT all the Skrillex BS (succesfully transitioned overnight, produces on just laptop with ableton with some shitty speakers) pretty much instantly singles you out as either young, or simple.

a) i was "there" when he was in a "hardcore" band. i was very much into post-hardcore at the time From First to Last started "trending", and that band, plus the wave of imitators that followed (Aiden, for example) was both a the first and final nail in its coffin. Atrocious music that single-handedly attracted the derogatory use of the "emo" handle. i have nothing against high-pitched vocals, but there are miles of lines in the sand between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPH5qpbgro

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yG6iw7AeWE

if the second vid doesn't instantly cause you to go "gaaaaaaaayyy!!!!", then.... i dunno... i guess: enjoy your Twilight saga, tween fag.

i was gonna recommend some proper post-hardcore, but I'm going to wait for your feelings on FFTL, so I know if i'm wasting my time.

2. he didn't transition shit. after leaving FFTL he struggled for years producing horrid near-outsider-music-quality emotronica shite like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaRAOFkbdIM

this is by far the most PASSABLE output from that timeframe, sadly the HILARIOUS shit that was on his myspace isn't there anymore

3. "darling child of dubstep", "music that rips people's heads off and tons of producers are trying to emulate" :emotawesomepm9: hahahaha. what, you've been reading mau5trap promos like they were actual reviews?

he first heard "dubstep" something like... one year ago, via a second-, if not a third-hand source: Borgore. he actually admits to this in an interview. as emo kids will be, he was instantly drawn to the sound. so, first he does some awful remixes and a shitty EP of "br000tal" "electrohouse" and "dubstep" "tunes" with awful cheesy speech-synth verses and sound-design based around the philosophy of turning distortion up to 11.

then media blackout.

then, 6 months later, album chock-full of tracks with top-notch production on the drops (I'll admit to that, but honestly who GIVES A SHIT about basses made with the "modern talking" wavetable in Massive anymore?! a horse beaten well into putrefaction, that) but with the most awful fucking melodies and dismally chopped-up whiny grating vocals in between the drops. almost like... parts on the same song weren't made by the same person! gasp...

of course, you have no idea who I am, nor will I make it in any way clear who I am, and you, of course, have no reason to believe me. but, nevertheless, the story goes like this:

Spor takes some time off from working on his debut album as Feed Me (which also comes out on mau5trap a couple of months after Skrillex's, and sounds almost like a much much much much better and bereft of the revoltingly, vomit-inducing saccharine cheese of the former) and reworks some of his album out-takes into usable drops.

Excision and Datsik get a call, make some guy some drum loops and some Massive patches, get paid.

Noisia are called in for a little R&D.

Deadmau5 (who is by no means untalented) looms over the entire process.

And so we arrive at this Frankenstein's monster of aggro popular dance music that is "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" (good name!). I find it really funny that this is being said in a Britney thread... quite appropriate. Same degree of a "collaborative" effort, nonetheless.

anyways, the "rips people's heads off" and "producers are trying to emulate" doesn't ring so true anymore, does it? i don't see anyone struggling to emulate the whiny emo crap he does by himself on top, more like i see people trying to emulate the kind of drops they've been trying to emulate for years, ever since excision, datsik, 16bit, noisia, spor, borgore and other splendid producers with appropriate mileage hit the spotlight.

now you might be thinking... "but if he ain't doing anything himself, what would be the point of paying all these other guys to ghost produce, instead of just releasing more material by the guys themselves?"

well, very simple: excision is a guy from middle Canada with a hoodie, and kind of a hard man. noisia are three down to earth dudes from the netherlands. spor is a soft-spoken aphex fan. skrillex is a meth-head who chain smokes, tweeks out, looks like a goth Mowgli, and so on. and that will always do wonders for the angsty rebellious tween demographic. and skrillex had been on WB's roster ever since working with Ross Robinson on FFTL's Heroine. they saw an opportunity, and had the perfect poster child for it. they threw some wads of money around, did some beatport top 10 magic, and, voila, MrSparkle666 has a new favorite "dubstep" "musician" with heaps of "talent" to his name.

But, of course, you "don't care what anyone says". Fine, enjoy willful ignorance and willful bad taste.

lube is right about from first to last. I saw that band when i was in high school, a long time ago before I knew anything about Skrillex - probably around 2004/5 or so - and concluded they were the worst band possibly ever to have existed.

it was a major M Night moment when I learned that Skrillex was on the stage that night...

Guest analogue wings

This is the definitive end of about skillrex. He might as well be britney spears. Given the distance between him and the creative process involved in generating the music his fans believe that he actually had some hand in creating.

so where did i miss the reason to hate skrillex? i checked out some tracks on youtube and they're awesome. is it not cool to like melodic dance music anymore?

People just love to hate on the popular cool kids that are trending. Skrillex has huge talent. The guy successfully transitioned from being the singer of a well known hardcore band to being the darling child of dubstep almost overnight. How many people can do something like that? And he does it all using just a laptop with Ableton Live. The guy doesn't even have a proper midi controller and he's making music that rips people's heads off and tons of producers are trying to emulate. Major props to him. I don't care what anyone says.

sorry, it's kind of an argumentative cop-out to employ this observation, but the fact that you actually BOUGHT all the Skrillex BS (succesfully transitioned overnight, produces on just laptop with ableton with some shitty speakers) pretty much instantly singles you out as either young, or simple.

a) i was "there" when he was in a "hardcore" band. i was very much into post-hardcore at the time From First to Last started "trending", and that band, plus the wave of imitators that followed (Aiden, for example) was both a the first and final nail in its coffin. Atrocious music that single-handedly attracted the derogatory use of the "emo" handle. i have nothing against high-pitched vocals, but there are miles of lines in the sand between this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPH5qpbgro

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yG6iw7AeWE

if the second vid doesn't instantly cause you to go "gaaaaaaaayyy!!!!", then.... i dunno... i guess: enjoy your Twilight saga, tween fag.

i was gonna recommend some proper post-hardcore, but I'm going to wait for your feelings on FFTL, so I know if i'm wasting my time.

2. he didn't transition shit. after leaving FFTL he struggled for years producing horrid near-outsider-music-quality emotronica shite like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaRAOFkbdIM

this is by far the most PASSABLE output from that timeframe, sadly the HILARIOUS shit that was on his myspace isn't there anymore

3. "darling child of dubstep", "music that rips people's heads off and tons of producers are trying to emulate" :emotawesomepm9: hahahaha. what, you've been reading mau5trap promos like they were actual reviews?

he first heard "dubstep" something like... one year ago, via a second-, if not a third-hand source: Borgore. he actually admits to this in an interview. as emo kids will be, he was instantly drawn to the sound. so, first he does some awful remixes and a shitty EP of "br000tal" "electrohouse" and "dubstep" "tunes" with awful cheesy speech-synth verses and sound-design based around the philosophy of turning distortion up to 11.

then media blackout.

then, 6 months later, album chock-full of tracks with top-notch production on the drops (I'll admit to that, but honestly who GIVES A SHIT about basses made with the "modern talking" wavetable in Massive anymore?! a horse beaten well into putrefaction, that) but with the most awful fucking melodies and dismally chopped-up whiny grating vocals in between the drops. almost like... parts on the same song weren't made by the same person! gasp...

of course, you have no idea who I am, nor will I make it in any way clear who I am, and you, of course, have no reason to believe me. but, nevertheless, the story goes like this:

Spor takes some time off from working on his debut album as Feed Me (which also comes out on mau5trap a couple of months after Skrillex's, and sounds almost like a much much much much better and bereft of the revoltingly, vomit-inducing saccharine cheese of the former) and reworks some of his album out-takes into usable drops.

Excision and Datsik get a call, make some guy some drum loops and some Massive patches, get paid.

Noisia are called in for a little R&D.

Deadmau5 (who is by no means untalented) looms over the entire process.

And so we arrive at this Frankenstein's monster of aggro popular dance music that is "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" (good name!). I find it really funny that this is being said in a Britney thread... quite appropriate. Same degree of a "collaborative" effort, nonetheless.

anyways, the "rips people's heads off" and "producers are trying to emulate" doesn't ring so true anymore, does it? i don't see anyone struggling to emulate the whiny emo crap he does by himself on top, more like i see people trying to emulate the kind of drops they've been trying to emulate for years, ever since excision, datsik, 16bit, noisia, spor, borgore and other splendid producers with appropriate mileage hit the spotlight.

now you might be thinking... "but if he ain't doing anything himself, what would be the point of paying all these other guys to ghost produce, instead of just releasing more material by the guys themselves?"

well, very simple: excision is a guy from middle Canada with a hoodie, and kind of a hard man. noisia are three down to earth dudes from the netherlands. spor is a soft-spoken aphex fan. skrillex is a meth-head who chain smokes, tweeks out, looks like a goth Mowgli, and so on. and that will always do wonders for the angsty rebellious tween demographic. and skrillex had been on WB's roster ever since working with Ross Robinson on FFTL's Heroine. they saw an opportunity, and had the perfect poster child for it. they threw some wads of money around, did some beatport top 10 magic, and, voila, MrSparkle666 has a new favorite "dubstep" "musician" with heaps of "talent" to his name.

But, of course, you "don't care what anyone says". Fine, enjoy willful ignorance and willful bad taste.

mind_of_mencia.jpg

Guest analogue wings

Related story: I hung out with a "legendary" cali punk band (they pretty much invented the sound in the late '70s), and talked to them about the "ska punk" thing that happened in the mid-late '90s.

the bass player told me a story about one of the better known groups (G.....) and how they were a stright up LA hair metal group whos manager simply told them that ska was the Next Big Thing. They literally walked into Sam Ash and the manager said to the guy "what kind of instruments do ska bands play?", walked out with a band's worth of "authentic" ska gear, then wrote a press release saying they've always loved ska, grew up listening to the Skatalites and the Specials etc etc etc.

moral of the story: just cos the artist thats making a billion dollars a year seems more "real" to you than Britney doesnt mean they aren't also totally fake. you might want to take another look at the "billion dollars a year" part and think about what people will do for that kind of money. hint: lying in a press release about how authentic your background is is nothing...

where is that thread where someone tells the story of how skrillex didn't even write the music to his own album? i wanna read it again.

http://forum.watmm.c...ost__p__1550825

holy shit, it is as if Lube tore the entire world a new asshole in that post

that post and the examples within led me to make a chuckle so long i nearly had to call myself an ambulance.

mustcontroltho4; there is a threshold to 'to each their own', and after that threshold you have to actually acknowledge that what you are dealing with is simply bad and derivative music that makes fans of [insert genre here] facepalm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGEWw_ocUQ

skrillex's take on 'dubstep', as much as he tries to deny the label, is the sort of thing that makes caspa or rusko fucking blush.

I didn't know about the Britney Spears part so I assumed it was music by teenagers for teenagers. Which is perfectly OK. The Lube Saibot story is super sad and even worse! But now that I think of it, Pantera guys used to play hair metal before becoming Pantera you know? What bothers me is that the forum was aware of all this stuff ages ago and here we are having the same argument as if nothing happened and no one knew who this kid was. I feel stupid because I was taking joshuaXuxWe seriously.

where is that thread where someone tells the story of how skrillex didn't even write the music to his own album? i wanna read it again.

http://forum.watmm.c...ost__p__1550825

holy shit, it is as if Lube tore the entire world a new asshole in that post

It's probably my favorite post on the whole internet.

should of just mentioned this all along and left it at that

Related story: I hung out with a "legendary" cali punk band (they pretty much invented the sound in the late '70s), and talked to them about the "ska punk" thing that happened in the mid-late '90s.

the bass player told me a story about one of the better known groups (G.....) and how they were a stright up LA hair metal group whos manager simply told them that ska was the Next Big Thing. They literally walked into Sam Ash and the manager said to the guy "what kind of instruments do ska bands play?", walked out with a band's worth of "authentic" ska gear, then wrote a press release saying they've always loved ska, grew up listening to the Skatalites and the Specials etc etc etc.

moral of the story: just cos the artist thats making a billion dollars a year seems more "real" to you than Britney doesnt mean they aren't also totally fake. you might want to take another look at the "billion dollars a year" part and think about what people will do for that kind of money. hint: lying in a press release about how authentic your background is nothing...

My friend was a huge Third Eye Blind fan (yes, you read correctly) and couple years ago on their forum it was revealed that the frontman, Stephan Jenkins, had actually not written any of the lyrics from the first album. Supposedly all of their hit songs from the first album were pinned by David Rainey, i.e. "Puck" from Real World San Francisco, whose was paid in cash in lieu of getting credited as the lyricist. Apparently all of their internal band disputes stem from writing credits, and this was just the icing on the cake of bullshit that had gone down.

All these stories make me wonder about what actually goes down with some bands and artist when they become successful. Then I realize it doesn't matter and go back to just listening to music.

But now that I think of it, Pantera guys used to play hair metal before becoming Pantera you know? What bothers me is that the forum was aware of all this stuff ages ago and here we are having the same argument as if nothing happened and no one knew who this kid was. I feel stupid because I was taking joshuaXuxWe seriously.

Speaking of Pantera, my dad grew up on the same street as the original members. They rehearsed in a rec center on weekends near his house, and covered Van Halen frequently. You are absolutely correct.

And m u st co n t r ol t h o 4, fyi, I feel stupid for eventually rehashing and needlessly expanding my rant from the April thread. :shrug:

Archived