IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

First 3 tracks are quite easy on the ears, I'll give it that much. Fourth one is awful and I started to lose interest altogether about halfway the album. I'll probably finish it later on, in smaller doses.

There's some craftsmanship in there. But it seems like he put a lot more effort into studying how electronic music is made than learning to make it. If that makes sense.

For a debut album it's not radical enough to be memorable, but also not modest enough to be charming. As if he was so busy mastering the skills that he didn't have time to develop a talent, an intuition. To me this sounds like an album that's made by someone who has something to lose. And that would make this, whithin its own tiny niche, a primarily commercial album. A crowd pleaser. This guy can do better, I think.

nicely put, I agree, he played it too safe, its an ok album, and I support and would support him again, but he has more potential than that.

I haven't heard this album yet, but I think this thread shows to me that IDM fans are the hardest to please.

The only thing I know about this guy is that he makes Analord style music that people think sounded a lot like Aphex back in the day (so much so that he was accused of being Aphex a few times). You'd think we'd be his target audience.

Guest Lucy Faringold

First 3 tracks are quite easy on the ears, I'll give it that much. Fourth one is awful and I started to lose interest altogether about halfway the album. I'll probably finish it later on, in smaller doses...

...To me this sounds like an album that's made by someone who has something to lose. And that would make this, whithin its own tiny niche, a primarily commercial album. A crowd pleaser. This guy can do better, I think.

This is exactly how I feel. The album felt superficially pleasing for the first few tracks but it starts to feel empty and hollow real fast.

First 3 tracks are quite easy on the ears, I'll give it that much. Fourth one is awful and I started to lose interest altogether about halfway the album. I'll probably finish it later on, in smaller doses...

...To me this sounds like an album that's made by someone who has something to lose. And that would make this, whithin its own tiny niche, a primarily commercial album. A crowd pleaser. This guy can do better, I think.

This is exactly how I feel. The album felt superficially pleasing for the first few tracks but it starts to feel empty and hollow real fast.

Yes, it gets boring really fast. Guess we shouldn't listen to it a lot

Where does the music line that pops out at 1:05 in Zunker comes from ?

It reminds me of Daft Punk but I can't remember which track.

just biked in to say got this now and fucking LOVE IT. every track is anthemic in the best possible way and I'd happily rave my face off to all of it. anyone who says different needs some kind of electro-shock therapy.

(null)

Actually signed up after following this somewhat mammoth thread, the largest for many pages of the new release section.

I really like the album. It's pretty brave to release something that's not plastered in sidechain compression or sub bass, or all sparkly around the edges (which does have its place don't get me wrong). I, like many really need more braindance like this.

Gordon

Guest Enter a new display name

According to WATMM's standards: the more an album sounds like an Aphex Twin ripoff, the better it sounds.

don't know where you get that from - certainly not from this thread....he's getting slated for "ripping off" the tuss in here if anything.

what i think is this: the people who came to IDM/Braindance/Whatever through going out raving in the 90s, doing a load of Es and dancing all night, like this album. it's party music, not pretentious, uplifting and makes you want to dance and wave your arms about.

the people who came to IDM/Braindance/Whataver through the likes of NiN, Radiohead etc simply don't get it. It's too happy for one thing and hasn't got enough beard-scratching moments. They can't dance and never went to raves, so don't appreciate the finer points of cutting the midrange and dropping the bass - personally it always raises a smile from me, no matter how many times it's been done before.

anyway, not surprised a lot of you don't like this album - you weren't meant to.

Guest ruiagnelo

seriously, i sure wasn't expecting such hate on this record.

someone please add another square to BoC's page, so that watmm can get a little bit [virtually] satisfied

Actually signed up after following this somewhat mammoth thread, the largest for many pages of the new release section. I really like the album. It's pretty brave to release something that's not plastered in sidechain compression or sub bass, or all sparkly around the edges (which does have its place don't get me wrong). I, like many really need more braindance like this. Gordon

yeah, that sums it up pretty nicely ! hey, you can't beat arguments like "it's boring" or "bland" etc.. constructive criticism, indeed..

Edited by naos

Guest Lucy Faringold

what shit? what the fuck are you on about?

Your ludicrous, idiotic assumption that people don't get this album because "They can't dance and never went to raves"

don't know where you get that from - certainly not from this thread....he's getting slated for "ripping off" the tuss in here if anything.

what i think is this: the people who came to IDM/Braindance/Whatever through going out raving in the 90s, doing a load of Es and dancing all night, like this album. it's party music, not pretentious, uplifting and makes you want to dance and wave your arms about.

the people who came to IDM/Braindance/Whataver through the likes of NiN, Radiohead etc simply don't get it. It's too happy for one thing and hasn't got enough beard-scratching moments. They can't dance and never went to raves, so don't appreciate the finer points of cutting the midrange and dropping the bass - personally it always raises a smile from me, no matter how many times it's been done before.

anyway, not surprised a lot of you don't like this album - you weren't meant to.

There maybe a little truth in this. Just a little.