IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

Mmmm on first listen this seems okay. Not really bulldozing my brain the way I thought it would do.

Maybe I need to get on some silk flares, silk shirt, huge mother-fucking medallion, glue a rug to my chest, stick some mdma up my arse, get a cock transplant with a donkey, slick back my hair with a pot of brylcream and do cartwheels in the lounge? Then I might like it more.

Maybe baby

Edited by beerwolf

Oh watmm..

Before album: This guy is a genious! Great Tussy vibes!

After album: This guy is boring. Too Tuss-like!

This is the forum where loads of people are praising every single SND release... It's hard not to laugh.

Funny example. Say what you want about SND, they don't sound like any other band ever. That's for sure. Anyway, I won't pollute this thread anymore until I hear the record.

EDIT: da edit genious

Edited by Ascdi

the amount of people who don't dance is disappointing. get down the disco.

some watmmers are in persistent vegetative states, you insensitive clod

hate to say i have to agree with all the hatin here. take "zunker", that 1 minute clip that floated around for ages seemed to spill genius in every direction.. now the full track just noodles around for a while and everything from 4:00 on seems pretty cringeworthy to me. idk, maybe it will grow on me

the amount of people who don't dance is disappointing. get down the disco.

some watmmers are in persistent vegetative states, you insensitive clod

What do you mean? In hospital? Stoned? Please explain.

im a bit let down to be honest. the album starts out great but it falls flat as it goes. i had the same thing with vhs head last year. ep blew me away but whole record caught me bored sometimes. maybe my expectations for LPs are too high. or im not high enough to get it. who knows.

if you need drugs to 'get' music, i personally think there's something wrong there.

100% agree

any stipulation or sessions involving said items are only to enrichen the music and make it even funner for myself, never a requirement though.

I got into decent electronic music long before I had any intention or access to these things ;)

I could see why some aren't up for the Monolith album, it IS more of a sort of *take it in short doses compilation really unless you want it all in one dose (some of us do, others clearly don't). The melodies/production is pretty lush/I've been enjoying it, shame there are folk here disappointed!

Edited by Macca

My was point is that it is too noodly, each track doesn't make any point. Like i said, there's no candy and no journey.

no candy?? the album is candy.

Each to their moan. It's all good mate. have a nice day.

;-]

At least this album creates reactions.. Didn't hear it yet, I'm not a big fan of what I've (quickly) heard from Monolith before that but I'm still curious.

My was point is that it is too noodly, each track doesn't make any point. Like i said, there's no candy and no journey.

no candy?? the album is candy.

Each to their moan. It's all good mate. have a nice day.

;-]

thx bro, i needed the assurance.

Ok, I got a bit excited when i found this, checked the release, checked the artist: "wierd guy with a fucking mask on his head and a hoodie with the aphex logo". Checked lastfm and got excited for something that may actually be some RDJ material.

After a couple of listens I thought of that this may be some pre-analord stuff.

Try to think like this:

RDJ have some acid shit from year ~2000 ~ 2005 stuffed up that he wants to release. He knows that it sounds a bit amatuerish compared to the analord series, but hey! People must always start somewhere, and these tunes are pretty damn nice.

Rich also know that people expect something bigger and more complex from him, right? So Dave Barnard is created.

Dave says the following:

I make the music I want to hear. I enjoy it more than any other music, this drives me to make more. It’s not down to arrogance because I

really don't expect anyone else to like it.

Sounds familiar eh?

To sum up all his work and progress, Rich picks some tunes that he still likes and gives us this compilation.

Since this is a summary, there arent any fillers on the album. And as we all know after reading this shitty thread, if you listen to the whole album at one time, you will either

a) think that the album sucks

b) get bored

c) forget to focus on the music and only notice the silence when the album ends

So we have this album released. Dave recieves all the tips and tops about this release. RDJ is not credited (yet) and he is happy for that. Mission accomplished, album released, no shit recieved and the expectations from the fans are still on the same level.

END OF STORY

Now, give some more work on Dave's sound and polish it a bit, we now have the fucking Analord series. Replace the 808 samples with some more "meaty" snares and rewrite the beats/breaks to something more aggressive and we have The Tuss.

Personally I dig this album, and now I only focus on each song at a time and spam it until i really get sick of it. I also can deal with this idea and I will think like this until something else is proven.

Box 9 have some really good sounds, aswell as Zunker. Yummy stuff.

This would be a great album if it was released 10 years ago. In this day and age, people are expecting a lot more.

replace "released" with "made" and we are talking

Also all the complaints about how it sounds like The Tuss, wtf?

TUSS IS

BREAKCORE

Edited by exaze

I think we need a name for this "Tuss-ish" (apologies again, can't think of how else to describe it) sound. You know the style I mean. Vintage drum machines, a relatively small number of funky and somewhat straightforward synth parts with an emphasis on a lot of modulation ("acid"), but also somewhat squashed and clearly touched by some "modern" production techniques.

Wasn't "analogue & digital" (or something) a term that JK was using? Let's decide on a genre name we can use as a shorthand for that, this, and related musics. One that doesn't include Tuss refs.

EDIT: I suppose "braindance" could work but at the moment that covers a pretty broad spectrum, being a Rephlex catch-all word.

Not that I'm a huge fan on putting stuff into genres, but I think it would make talking about it easier.

Edited by Ascdi