IGNORED

Dave Monolith - Welcome

Redruth

same answer in long: in my hometown, theres only one bar/club you can go to and they just play damn deep/tech/minimal-house every fucking week because its so easy to get everybody enjoying it... so this would be like a good replacement, a perfect fit between mainstreamy danceable tunes and quality innovative electronixx..

not everyone has had 20+ years to develop 'their sound' and become a self induced-pioneer. it's a bit utmost the criticality of any signed rephloex. there are plenty of rephlex albums of which i pay no mind to - but it appears the bar has been pushed high over the top such that all eyes on the new ones.

of all the worthless music discussions to be pummeled with on an internet, i never expected such blatant give a shit about rephlex artists. what's next, someone does make it "all about emotion and music" like "Rich"? doesn't that directly correspond into a knockoff? o h h yo uuuuu

lol. having emotion and good melodies isn't something unique to afx. my main problem is the music not having any personality. when I hear the tracks, including the ones I really enjoy, I always think "this sounds like __ and __ mixed together" or "this sounds like (aphex/tuss/+10/dmx krew track) but different" and so on, and do not get any kind of personal connection to the music.

Guest W32MyDoom

anyone in the US have theirs yet? this is what you get for being a gentleman and mailing it back when it arrives before its release date I guess...

expecting mine in the mail any day now, haven't checked today. will update with success.

ok i've just been listening to the album -obviously i didn't pay for it- and my vomiting opinion is: IT FUCKING SUCKS!!! :emotawesomepm9:

some very interesting ideas in "airbrite" and "zunker" though, the only tracks i would have kept personnally. a few interesting sequences here and there through the album, an orgy of flat melodies, boring clichés and shameless tuss/afx wannabe-ism, just the way i expected it.

despite that, the album is interesting on a technical level. too bad he's just a follower. and has absolutely no talent for melodies (according to me).

good day.

yes yes you've told us about 10 times in this thread why you don't like monolith's debut album on rephlex records.

why did you even bother to illegally dl it? seems like you already made your opinions clear to us when you heard the previews.

motherfucker! :)

the welcome is lush.

there are a few tracks that sound very 'tussy', i agree, but most of it is really good :) and not too tussy at all.

i'm not overly into the whole tuss/analord-masturbation myself, but i think Monolith sounds quite different, in a lot of ways, to all that. i don't think he's a copycat. he's mixing a lot of styles and sounds, and it sounds quite fresh to my ears!

it's a really good colourful debut album that i will be playing a lot over this final Xmas period.

Big up. :sorcerer:

ps. don't get Brian's disgust.

Guest ruiagnelo

I find most of the endings kind of abrupt and sudden, maybe not properly worked.

besides that, i am completely impressed with this sound. it is unique and fresh!

I find most of the endings kind of abrupt and sudden, maybe not properly worked.

besides that, i am completely impressed with this sound. it is unique and fresh!

yeah that would be the one complaint i have, too. that's it's all over before you know it.

would've been better with some more longer tracks on there, and not so much silence inbetween the tracks.

Guest ruiagnelo

yeah that would be the one complaint i have, too. that's it's all over before you know it.

would've been better with some more longer tracks on there, and not so much silence inbetween the tracks.

nice to see that i wasn't the only one noticing it.

sometimes the silence after the ending seems to be too long (even being a matter of seconds) and others, the ending just seems to be sudden and not really worked as ending, but mostly as a stop.

i am quite sensitive to track endings, and these could have been as epic as the tracks themselves.

even tho, what an amazing record!

Edited by ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

i am quite sensitive to track endings, and these could have been as epic as the tracks themselves.

lol?

listen to the record

didn't Dave Monolith say somewhere recently that the album is just a bunch of tracks strung together and not a coherent album with any kind of intentional flow or watever.... Maybe the gap lengths aren't as important as the music itself.

brian tregaskin, you seem to have come to such a strong conclusion given the short amount of time you have spent listening

my dear friend troon, it's not like the album has a complex meaning with subtle relationships between tracks or anything. the music's quite direct and you can hear it's a compilation of tracks with no particular intention of cohesiveness between them. therefore it's quite easy to receive and to make your opinion about it, you either like the tracks, or you don't.

since i don't like most tracks, i don't like the album. simple as that.

brian tregaskin, you seem to have come to such a strong conclusion given the short amount of time you have spent listening

I'm a cunt, and I like being a cunt, what don't you get?

If you all stopped trying to tell him that he's wrong, he wouldn't have to prove to you that he thinks something different. Might as well be arguing with a gay friend on the merits of Lady Gaga.

fo'real

Also, when is this gonna be up on rephlex so that i can buy it from there.

If you all stopped trying to tell him that he's wrong, he wouldn't have to prove to you that he thinks something different. Might as well be arguing with a gay friend on the merits of Lady Gaga.

it's an exercise in masochism

Also, when is this gonna be up on rephlex so that i can buy it from there.

it's an exercise in masochism