IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

2 hours ago, auxien said:

i don’t think i’ve seen anything from Coogler but anyone other than Carter is probably a good idea. he was great in some ways but obv not the best at other things so letting the idea of an X-Files be taken on by another’s vision is potentially good, at least. 

i’ve still never watched the S10+ reboot stuff, trailers looked bad and i heard 90% bad reviews so didn’t want to even try.

Carter of course came up with the idea for the show, largely influenced by '70s B-horror TV show Kolchak Night Stalker. he also lucked out finding some very gifted writers/directors early on (Howard Gordon, James Wong, Vince Gilligan, Frank Spotnitz). and obviously Duchovny & Gillian Anderson nailed it... but IMO, Carter didn't have much in the way of talent outside of that. the eps he wrote/directed weren't as good as the others, and the shows he launched thanks to his X-files fame all tanked.

they need to leave the show alone at this point. it was a mid '90s gem that has been rebooted twice with horrible results. the story line has run its course. but that's not the way the money machine operates... I also don't know Coogler, but an easy comparison point would be what Jordan Peele did with the recent 4th or 5th reboot of Twilight Zone, which was absolute garbage. and then there's the subpar track record in terms of quality for all TV reboots in general. not a good omen.

of the S10/S11 eps, I remember there were probably 1-2 decent ones each season. the "funny" eps I remember were p good, largely because they brought back Darin Morgan to write those. he wrote some of the '90s classics like Jose Chung's from outer space (the one with Alex Trebek) and Clyde Bruckman's Final repose. incredible stuff.

Edited by zero
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, zero said:

Carter of course came up with the idea for the show, largely influenced by '70s B-horror TV show Kolchak Night Stalker. he also lucked out finding some very gifted writers/directors early on (Howard Gordon, James Wong, Vince Gilligan, Frank Spotnitz). and obviously Duchovny & Gillian Anderson nailed it... but IMO, Carter didn't have much in the way of talent outside of that. the eps he wrote/directed weren't as good as the others, and the shows he launched thanks to his X-files fame all tanked.

they need to leave the show alone at this point. it was a mid '90s gem that has been rebooted twice with horrible results. the story line has run its course. but that's not the way the money machine operates... I also don't know Coogler, but an easy comparison point would be what Jordan Peele did with the recent 4th or 5th reboot of Twilight Zone, which was absolute garbage. and then there's the subpar track record in terms of quality for all TV reboots in general. not a good omen.

of the S10/S11 eps, I remember there were probably 1-2 decent ones each season. the "funny" eps I remember were p good, largely because they brought back Darin Morgan to write those. he wrote some of the '90s classics like Jose Chung's from outer space (the one with Alex Trebek) and Clyde Bruckman's Final repose. incredible stuff.

The only really good ones from the last reboot were the Kolchak tribute, and the automated restaurant episodes. 

Norman killed the exceptionally hot English teacher. Which is a bummer. Onto season 2. 

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

Just finished 3 body problem. I would recommend it. It’s better then the trailer suggests

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, o00o said:

Just finished 3 body problem. I would recommend it. It’s better then the trailer suggests

Man I hated it - hard to do the books justice but just found it boring. Wonder how they will expand it. Would have liked an animated version tbh.

18 minutes ago, aderei said:

Man I hated it - hard to do the books justice but just found it boring. Wonder how they will expand it. Would have liked an animated version tbh.

I didn’t read the books so maybe that’s the difference 

16 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Looks intriguing 

Looks dreadful, but I'll still give it a go in the hope the best of the jokes are in the trailer 

I thought that 3 Body Problem fell to shit, regular enough occurrence recently watching series

I saw they were saying series 2 will be amazing, setting off the shite alarm with that

Onto 3rd season of Bates Motel. Clever idea with this is that his tearaway brother is involved in drug dealing and growing cannabis (and is done really well), which gives the show a whole different trajectory to enjoy. If it was just about Norman going slowly insane then it wouldn't have much traction. His mum is acted brilliantly by Vera Farmiga, who I wasn't really aware of. She's fantastic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YEK said:

Breaking Bad really is THAT good. Currently on season 3 and bingeing. 

Yeah it's a classic! It doesn't let up all the way to the final episode. Enjoy!

• Like 2

Watched 'the regime', a lot of it while browsing the phone.

It's so bad for an HBO production that I'm pretty sure it's 3 letter agency sponsored media.

Good finale, typical dry LD style comedy, with what I was hoping for plotwise. End of an era. Richard Lewis making it to the end of filming was an added bonus. 

IMG_5964.jpeg

• Like 6

I'm a few episodes into this new adaptation of Talented Mr. Ripley - 

spacer.png

film noir fans take note - this is beautifully shot. I haven't seen the Matt Damon version in ages, so I forget a lot of the details about the story. this version goes into extra detail on everything, maybe a little too much that is slows down the plot a bit. the actor playing Ripley is excellent. 

I didn't think much of Mindhunter (only watched 3 episodes) but seem to be in the minority with that opinion.

Binged Fallout and nearly completed the whole season besides the final two episodes. It has the potential to rise to breaking bad dimensions if they don’t fuck it up. 

• Like 1

Fallout 7/5 (binged in full), Sugar 5/5 (S1E1-3), looking very much forward to Mindhunter S3 (I've been a serial killer otaku since my teens).

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 9:57 AM, Rubin Farr said:

This is great 👍 

IMG_5997.png

Never played any of the games so I can’t speak to whether or not it does the franchise any justice but this is just a really entertaining ass show so far with only 2 episodes left. I didn’t think Amazon was capable of creating something this good.

• Like 1