IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

As well as Slow Horses I've started to watch Kin. The first two and a half episodes are real slow (to the point of boredom) but once it gets going it accelerates pretty fast. I would have finished Season 1 off last night but it got late and my concentration was fading. Very good and Season 2 is even better (so I'm told)

Shōgun (2024) - I was expecting to hate it, but found myself really getting into it by the end of Ep 2. 

I don't like the colour grading and cgi/tracking shots look a meh to me. Some early parts of ep 1 felt like I was watching Pirates of the Caribbean, had the vibe of a generic big budget fantasy. Was half expecting Captain Barbossa or Bootstrap-Anjin-san to emerge for the thick mists during the first 10 minutes. 

However, the casting is solid:

• Anna Sawai - She still jars for me still, but improving.
  • Cosmo Jarvis - my initial misgivings have fallen away now. 
  • Hiroyuki Sanada - excellent as Toranaga
  • Tadanobu Asano - excellent. He's good a playing slightly tapped people. 

I think they've made some improvements to the pacing/plotting too. Looking forward to Ep 3 tomorrow.

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

As well as Slow Horses I've started to watch Kin. The first two and a half episodes are real slow (to the point of boredom) but once it gets going it accelerates pretty fast. I would have finished Season 1 off last night but it got late and my concentration was fading. Very good and Season 2 is even better (so I'm told)

I've heard good things about Slow Horses, they've renewed for a 4th season. It's on my maybe list. 

• Like 1

yes, it gets better as it's getting worse...

Fargo s04 - 4 eps in and loving it... great fucking cast, violent af, funny as well but probably a bit too home alone'ish? but I don't mind...

Edited by cruising for burgers
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 12:09 PM, Scaramouche said:

Shōgun (2024) - I was expecting to hate it, but found myself really getting into it by the end of Ep 2. 

• Tadanobu Asano - excellent. He's good a playing slightly tapped people.

i used to really like asano. believe even he is perplexed at how he managed to act as he once did - almost completely blank and emotionless, when he’s now quite relaxed and a little bit hollywood. 

Started watching the new Rick Grimes walking dead show. I lasted about 15 minutes and decided it wasn’t for me. 

On 3/4/2024 at 5:11 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Apple+ producing 10 episode adaptation of Neuromancer:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/forget-3-body-problem-apple-110948632.html

but will it be good? i remember the excitement surrounding foundation when apple+ announced they were working on it, but i've not heard a thing about it despite it now having 2 seasons.

currently viewing:

Theguardianstitlecard.PNG

basically, a 1971 tv show that accurately predicated the political climate of the 2020s but incorrectly attributes it to the early 80s. 

On 3/8/2024 at 3:54 PM, Nebraska said:

but will it be good? i remember the excitement surrounding foundation when apple+ announced they were working on it, but i've not heard a thing about it despite it now having 2 seasons.

currently viewing:

Theguardianstitlecard.PNG

basically, a 1971 tv show that accurately predicated the political climate of the 2020s but incorrectly attributes it to the early 80s. 

Foundation is good, but it’s about math, so does that sell hype? I do remember how bad the LOTR show was , after being the most expensive series ever made. 🤷‍♂️ 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:13 PM, Rubin Farr said:

I do remember how back the LOTR show was , after being the most expensive series ever made. 🤷‍♂️ 

i actually enjoyed LOTR but more as a guilty pleasure, and because i also love long and rich stories like that

Finished season 1 of Slow Horses with watching four episodes in a row. Brilliant stuff. The clever part is how the subject matter is quite serious, (a right-wing group plan to behead a Pakistani kid) yet it also has a wicked sense of humour running through it and at times made me laugh out loud. Top stuff. But I'm wishing I had more seasons to watch as I know the next two are gonna fly by. Fourth season drops in November. 

Edited by beerwolf

46 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Finished season 1 of Slow Horses with watching four episodes in a row. Brilliant stuff. The clever part is how the subject matter is quite serious, (a right-wing group plan to behead a Pakistani kid) yet it also has a wicked sense of humour running through it and at times made me laugh out loud. Top stuff. But I'm wishing I had more seasons to watch as I know the next two are gonna fly by. Fourth season drops in November. 

Dont worry, by the time you finish the third you wont crave the fourth as much

Started watching Miami vice on Amazon prime

Like it so far. Of course the aesthetic is cool. I do hate the phony gunshot / violence scenes from this era though lol

On 12/31/2023 at 2:09 PM, ignatius said:

Pantheon is all about uploaded consciousness and all that entails with a couple goofy plot things but mostly pretty good and not too long. it fully embraces the abstract eventually which is good. they treat the subject matter pretty well.. it's not the deep dives of Neal Stephenson's "Fall or Dodge in Hell" which is about the same type of thing but with so much more as a part of the story. if you want a good cyberpunk "upload to the cloud" story.. Fall or Dodge in Hell is pretty great and wrapped in a lot of current culture war stuff that is really well done. 

I definetly liked it but the premise was right there on the table from the start and nothing mind-blowing happened after… I dunno, I set up my expectations too high? gonna start season two tonite…

edit: fargo was bonkers! loved it to death... ☠♥️

Edited by cruising for burgers