IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

46 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Shogun (both the 1980 series and the 2024 series)

What do you think of the new show? I went in expecting to hate it. I do not! Falling for it quite hard.

Edited by Scaramouche
  • Like 1

Sat down yesterday afternoon and started Season 2 of Slow Horses. Went to bed after finishing Season 2 of Slow Horses. Great watch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scaramouche said:

What do you think of the new show? I went in expecting to hate it. I do not! Falling for it quite hard.

I really like it; I'm old enough to remember the original, so it is interesting the changes in telling the story they made with the modern version.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:16 PM, Joyrex said:

Shogun (both the 1980 series and the 2024 series) and Constellation

Okay I started Constellation but thought meh - I'll give another go

On 3/17/2024 at 3:01 AM, aderei said:

Okay I started Constellation but thought meh - I'll give another go

It takes awhile to get interesting

• Like 1

Constellation gets really good and trippy.  Mind bending and suspenseful.  Definitely my favorite watch so far this year.  Thought the acting was really great too, even the kid does a good job which isn't always the case.

• Like 1

Shogun is the best non-animated show i’ve seen recently by a long shot. really looking forward to it each week. 

• Like 7

The animation and especially the sound mix on this are top notch, it really has the simulated look of an old G.I. Joe cartoon. The dialogue is laughable, but it is meant for little kids to understand. 

IMG_4458.jpeg

Finished Slow Horses season 3. Still great, though the comedy side of things may of got slightly too silly at times, verging on the ridiculous. However I still think it's the best thing I've watched in ages. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Finished Slow Horses season 3. Still great, though the comedy side of things may of got slightly too silly at times, verging on the ridiculous. However I still think it's the best thing I've watched in ages. 

slow horses is great yeh

• Like 1

I'm 10 minutes into 3 body and they have totally fkd it. 

Why not just get Jennifer Aniston to play some Oxford prof

Books are incredible...I'm on the dark forest now

On 3/20/2024 at 3:19 PM, Rubin Farr said:

The animation and especially the sound mix on this are top notch, it really has the simulated look of an old G.I. Joe cartoon. The dialogue is laughable, but it is meant for little kids to understand. 

IMG_4458.jpeg

IMG_4630.jpeg

On 3/20/2024 at 6:54 AM, exitonly said:

Shogun is the best non-animated show i’ve seen recently by a long shot. really looking forward to it each week. 

Yeah, it’s not perfect* but it is quite something. Really compulsively watchable and well done and some brilliant acting (Sanada is basically perfect in this role).  Feels like an honest classic so far. 

Spoiler

A couple moments took me out of the immersion, e.g. the sort of boat race against the Portuguese which seemed just a bit tonally Hollywood somehow. Don’t remember if or how that played out in the 1980 version or book, it’s been like 30 years since I saw/read those.

Even so, it was a fun sequence. I’m a sucker for boats, just didn’t feel super realistic/harrowing to me. But also it was intentionally funny— Nestor Carbonell is very amusing as the Spanish guy, totally transcends his normal Weirdly Dark Eyelash Dude thing.  

On 3/21/2024 at 4:39 PM, beerwolf said:

Thanks! I’ve been waiting for the wattm seal of approval on this one before digging in. Looks like it could be a good one. I’m a sucker for Japanese anything. Hopefully it lives up to this cultural high water mark .

• Confused 1

Enjoying Tokyo Vice so far, nothing new but it's solidly done. Feels a bit like one of those slick Scandinavian crime thrillers, just with Tokyo Yakuza. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 7:56 AM, aderei said:

I'm 10 minutes into 3 body and they have totally fkd it. 

Why not just get Jennifer Aniston to play some Oxford prof

Books are incredible...I'm on the dark forest now

I've read the whole trilogy a couple of times, I love the books.

I'm a few episodes in the series and think it's pretty great entertainement. It can't possibly rival with my imagination, but I'm super curious to see what they'll do, and how they'll visually / narratively translate some of its most mind-bending mindfucks.

If you think they've fkd it, do yourself a favor and never watch Foundation eh.

Ps:

Edited by Nil
  • Like 2

Bates Motel.  It's fucking brilliant. I think Cruising For Burgers and J3FF3ROO would like 🤘

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 12:46 AM, Rubin Farr said:

that article is from 2015...and we all know how those reboots turned out - dog shit

I did find this more recent somewhat relevant article. was announced last year the powers that be are in fact trying to reboot it, sans Chris Carter:

https://www.thewrap.com/x-files-reboot-ryan-coogler-chris-carter-blessing/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zero said:

that article is from 2015...and we all know how those reboots turned out - dog shit

I did find this more recent somewhat relevant article. was announced last year the powers that be are in fact trying to reboot it, sans Chris Carter:

https://www.thewrap.com/x-files-reboot-ryan-coogler-chris-carter-blessing/

i don’t think i’ve seen anything from Coogler but anyone other than Carter is probably a good idea. he was great in some ways but obv not the best at other things so letting the idea of an X-Files be taken on by another’s vision is potentially good, at least. 

i’ve still never watched the S10+ reboot stuff, trailers looked bad and i heard 90% bad reviews so didn’t want to even try.

• Like 1

I'm liking the new Shogun, despite our main guy chewing the scenery like there's no tomorrow.

• Like 2