IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

On 1/16/2024 at 10:41 PM, auxien said:

yes and yes

Jodie Foster is great but the other one that played detective Navarro is starting out well too. but at this point i'm not worried about the actors, i'm worried about the story and the direction...

still worried tbh. this latest episode could breath a little better and the characters/story were better for it, but it really just showed how cramped the earlier episodes were. the jumpscare/horror movie aesthetic they keep leaning towards is very weak tho. there's a lot of heavy-handed plot point shit too just like in lots of modern horror that really grates after so many episodes (oh, show me the 23rd close up of the spiral tattoo image, i didn't quite catch it 5 minutes ago on that other thing. thanks for making sure i saw it again. can't wait to see it in 10 minutes somewhere else. cool. so creepy.)

honestly can't tell if i'm not impressed with Foster's acting in this or i'm just disliking her character. seems a bit of both tbh...i get she's not a hero-hero, okay cool but also like, maybe sell some bits of why i should be interested in her at all? if she disappeared at this point the story would probably be better for it and that's sad. maybe more to come on that but yeah. :cat:

and it's still crammed full. hard to keep up with what i'm supposed to even be clocking much less caring about any of it happening. idk idk i'm wanting to like it but :catsupine:

Try & avoid trash but knew TD season 4 wasn’t going to rock. Jump scares & screaming dead-eyed dead peeling skin knock off Walking Dead fx. Absurd.

Season 1 was quite minimal, beautiful shots of a wilted Louisiana. Limited number of characters really well cast. A sound effect landscape missing from every series since. No real plot, relationships you can’t really care for & ooooh that logo again & oooh start asking the right questions. Again.

Pre-nursery run vent agh wasting a rare spare pre work hour with crap.

• Like 4

I'm dumb. Sorry.

Watched Bodies. It was fairly entertaining and a bit shit.

5 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

Try & avoid trash but knew TD season 4 wasn’t going to rock. Jump scares & screaming dead-eyed dead peeling skin knock off Walking Dead fx. Absurd.

Season 1 was quite minimal, beautiful shots of a wilted Louisiana. Limited number of characters really well cast. A sound effect landscape missing from every series since. No real plot, relationships you can’t really care for & ooooh that logo again & oooh start asking the right questions. Again.

Nic Pizzolatto seems to really be bagging on season 4 in public, I missed the spiral connection, but yeah it seems like the more boring cliche bits of TD and X-Files mashed up. 

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-095639205.html

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:35 PM, logakght said:

yo anyone watched The Curse? Is it worth it¿

the curse was great. it was like a social anxiety panic attack for an hour at a time.

14 hours ago, cwmbrancity said:

I’m definitely not feeling the new season either.

Spoiler

No real chemistry between JF and Navarro imo. Come to think of it, the only chemistry she has is with the Jon Hawkes son, the young cop. This is also the first thing that I’ve seen Jon Hawkes in where he’s criminally underwritten and kinda boring. The show has practically zero suspense. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Nic Pizzolatto seems to really be bagging on season 4 in public, I missed the spiral connection, but yeah it seems like the more boring cliche bits of TD and X-Files mashed up. 

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-095639205.html

weird, since him, Matthew Mcconaughey, & Woody Harrelson are all exec producers on the season i believe...you'd think they would've had some early notes of like 'hm, this script doesn't really seem like a good idea let's maybe suggest some changes' because like, that's one of the things producers can do, yeah? i think Jodie Foster is listed as an exec producer too, maybe her or jeeze, anyone really could've stepped in at SOME point in the process and noticed the dozens of red flags that were surely there during the scripting/development process.

episode 4 was better in ways but went full horror movie bullshit at times. this season is whack, but i guess i'll finish it out anyway because at least some of the actors are good.

S3 was really good, i don't think anyone around here talked much good about it but i thought it was strong as hell. as good as S1 imo. i never saw S2, heard almost nothing but bad about it.

• Like 2

Griselda quite enjoyable but she needs some sort of 700 year old little green wisened yoga master who understands the force to make it more believes, she has double crossed half of the cartel now and hasn't been beheaded, kiss a few more crosses maybe and say God is on her side

15 hours ago, auxien said:

weird, since him, Matthew Mcconaughey, & Woody Harrelson are all exec producers on the season i believe...you'd think they would've had some early notes of like 'hm, this script doesn't really seem like a good idea let's maybe suggest some changes' because like, that's one of the things producers can do, yeah? i think Jodie Foster is listed as an exec producer too, maybe her or jeeze, anyone really could've stepped in at SOME point in the process and noticed the dozens of red flags that were surely there during the scripting/development process.

I haven't watched any of S4 yet (will wait to binge it), but I too thought it was bad form for him to sorta bash the show he was responsible for creating. I think Nic got dropped from input on TD more or less after S2 sucked, and probably is still butthurt about it.

I think he is a bit of a one hit wonder, tbh. he had a peak creativity moment with coming up with the idea for S1, then slowly fizzled. I, like everyone, was a huge fan of S1. after watching that I read his short story collection and Galveston novel (the movie was totally botched), which were ok, not TD S1 amazing or anything. then he more or less had a misfire on S2. I thought that season started strong, but got too muddled/confusing after a few episodes in. the writing was all over the map. the one missing ingredient S2 lacked was Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed all S1 episodes. apparently he and Pizzolatto didn't get along, so he left after S1. so I'd say he was probably a massive part of what made S1 so great, maybe more than Nic.

15 hours ago, auxien said:

S3 was really good, i don't think anyone around here talked much good about it but i thought it was strong as hell. as good as S1 imo. i never saw S2, heard almost nothing but bad about it.

the official ranking is S1 > S3 > S2

• Like 2

17 hours ago, auxien said:

episode 4 was better in ways but went full horror movie bullshit at times. this season is whack, but i guess i'll finish it out anyway because at least some of the actors are good.

Executive producer credits don't necessarily mean that the person has anything to do with the show currently.  They could just be creators, financial backers, or could have written something that the current show borrows heavily from or is inspired by.

1 hour ago, EdamAnchorman said:

Executive producer credits don't necessarily mean that the person has anything to do with the show currently.  They could just be creators, financial backers, or could have written something that the current show borrows heavily from or is inspired by.

true true! i know they’re not always involved in the weeds, but sometimes some of them are, & i’d think at some point in the process of dev for the season at least someone would’ve went ‘um hey it looks like the tone of this is way off’ & raised some concerns…i mean the show ain’t pure shit but it’s definitely off and doubt it’s going to get redeemed in the last few episodes…

The Curse. This was very interesting, intense! The way nothing much happens and it's slow yet every interaction has this air of subtle dread about it, it's not exactly funny but more kind of sad and tragic but in a totally captivating way, was on the edge of my seat like I was watching a good tense thriller flick, but like a bland persistent fear that's only vaguely sensed. Really weird. The score too was really uneasy reminded me of Popol Vuh and BoC and it managed to maintain that exquisite, torturous limbo for ten hours. Really fuckin well made stuff! 

4 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

The Curse. This was very interesting, intense! The way nothing much happens and it's slow yet every interaction has this air of subtle dread about it, it's not exactly funny but more kind of sad and tragic but in a totally captivating way, was on the edge of my seat like I was watching a good tense thriller flick, but like a bland persistent fear that's only vaguely sensed. Really weird. The score too was really uneasy reminded me of Popol Vuh and BoC and it managed to maintain that exquisite, torturous limbo for ten hours. Really fuckin well made stuff! 

0pn did the music for this

10 minutes ago, exitonly said:

0pn did the music for this

Aye so I found out, not really familiar with his music other than listened a bit a decade or so ago and didn't really get into it, will have to give it another go now for sure, any recommendations? 

1 hour ago, ooqpoo said:

Aye so I found out, not really familiar with his music other than listened a bit a decade or so ago and didn't really get into it, will have to give it another go now for sure, any recommendations? 

R Plus 7. His music is definitely an acquired taste. I never considered myself a fan but then somehow have 3 of his albums on vinyl and listen to them regularly

Edited by exitonly
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:02 PM, iococoi said:

That show was totally fucking Mexico. 

On 2/7/2024 at 4:34 PM, zero said:

I haven't watched any of S4 yet (will wait to binge it), but I too thought it was bad form for him to sorta bash the show he was responsible for creating. I think Nic got dropped from input on TD more or less after S2 sucked, and probably is still butthurt about it.

I think he is a bit of a one hit wonder, tbh. he had a peak creativity moment with coming up with the idea for S1, then slowly fizzled. I, like everyone, was a huge fan of S1. after watching that I read his short story collection and Galveston novel (the movie was totally botched), which were ok, not TD S1 amazing or anything. then he more or less had a misfire on S2. I thought that season started strong, but got too muddled/confusing after a few episodes in. the writing was all over the map. the one missing ingredient S2 lacked was Cary Joji Fukunaga, who directed all S1 episodes. apparently he and Pizzolatto didn't get along, so he left after S1. so I'd say he was probably a massive part of what made S1 so great, maybe more than Nic.

the official ranking is S1 > S3 > S2

Pizzolatto clearly suffers from acute Lucasitis of the creativity gland. 

It sounds like Fukunaga was a counterbalance to Pizzolatto. His departure was probably a factor in the overwrought 'plot' of S2. I don't hate S2, it was just... a little too saucy. kinda saucy. It has its moments. Woodrugh's death was a well executed sequence, no pun intended, but I don't think I'd have the constitution to sit through it again. 

Might try and give S4 a go tonight.