IGNORED

All albums best to worst

Dragon

prove me wrong. Draft could have been an EP with Xylin Room, 61E.CR, and Surripere and it would have been much better. I swear if you say Incunubula is their worst you are wrong.

Guest eczem

prove me wrong. Draft could have been an EP with Xylin Room, 61E.CR, and Surripere and it would have been much better. I swear if you say Incunubula is their worst you are wrong.

Draft is the ultimate in layers of polyrhythms and percussive texture. In fact, it is the ultimate expression of rhythm to me. It beats Confield by a hair for best album, to me....maybe because Draft is a bit tighter rhythmically. You're forgetting how badass VL AI 5, P._Ntil, Reniform Puls, and IV Vv IV Vv VIII are methinks. Bine > Tapr though.

no, I'm not part of the Incunabula hate crew. but Draft is nowhere near their "worst", and certainly not worse than Quaristice. literally every track on Draft is a fun ride, with the exception imo of Tapr. how can you overlook V-proc and Reniform Puls? the latter in particular is a perfect example of their fine subtlety

My vote...

01 DRAFT7.30

02 UNTILTED

03 OVERSTEPS

04 TRI REPETAE

05 CONFIELD

06 EXAI

07 CHIASTIC SLIDE

08 AMBER

09 LP5

10 QUARISTICE

11 INCUNABULA

• 3 weeks later...

Gave Draft some mroe listens and realize its brilliance now. I can see why people have quaristice and Draft hate. They are Aes most avant garde/experimental releases I would say.

Guest totemcrackerjack

Here's my attempt:

1. Confield
  2. Untilted
  3. Exai
  4. LP5
  5. Chiastic Slide
  6. Draft. 7.30
  7. Amber
  8. Oversteps
  9. Quaristice
  10. Tri Repetae
  11. Incunabula

1-5: Listen to incessantly

6-8: Listen to frequently

9-11: Listen to occasionally

Do I dislike any of them? Hell no.

Like a parent choosing favorites.

• 2 months later...
Guest Zwei Kreise

As this is my first post on this forum, I thought this would be the best topic to introduce myself... and post my list of the Autechre albums at the same time. Isn't that the best way to understand a person's personality, really ? Like tarot readings but that actually mean something.

As a means of introduction, I'll just tell a few things about myself : I'm Alex, french and I make electronic music (hopefully for a living someday but that's still very unsure). Big Boards of Canada fan, they're the first Warp records act I've heard. I'm also a somewhat recently converted Autechre fanatic (thanks to another musician friend who's also on this forum) and I've recently been discovering Aphex Twin's discography (I've had S.A.W. Volume 2 and Analogue Bubblebath as well as the Ventolin ep for a long time but up until recently I pretty much had not heard anything else bare the odd track here or there). I've finally caved in and created an account after months of reading the forum, starting with the awesome Autechre a.m.a. from a few months back, which I've read and followed in its entirety and absolutely loved.

Well anyways, I don't usually post a whole lot but I definitely believe I'll enjoy being part of the community on a more substantial level than before. I'll also keep the posts about my music to a minimum (probably limiting these to album releases).

Aaand here's my list :

#1 : Draft 7.30
#2 : Tri Repetae
#3 : Quaristice
#4 : LP5
#5 : Untilted
#6 : Amber
#7 : Exai
#8 : Oversteps
#9 : Confield
#10 : Chiastic Slide
#11 : Incunabula

I have to say that I like all the albums, this is not a quality list, but it's more based on the number of listens and general enjoyment I get from each. The list is pretty fairly solid around the top 3/4 but the others are still moving for the most part, especially Exai. But I think it still gives a good idea as a whole.

Group 1

Untitled

Confield

Group 2

Amber

Chiastic Slide

Group 3

Quaristice

Draft 7:30

Exai (veeeeery premature, just feel its nestled in this group)

Group 4

Tri Repetae

Oversteps

Group 5

LP5

(Still dont own Incunabula, but love the track Kalpol Intro)

Still pretty much the same deal for me;

1. Untilted

2. Confield

---------------

3. Amber

4. Chiastic Slide

---------------

5. Exai

---------------

6. Quaristice

7. Draft 7:30

---------------

8. Tri Repetae

9. Oversteps

---------------

10. LP5

Still yet to listen to Incunabula. Saving it for when the in-between-ae-releases pangs start hitting hard.

Not a lot has changed I guess, except that Exai has consolidated itself in outright 5th for me. All are great, in fact, Oversteps isn't far outside my top 100 favourite albums, and comes in 9th here. LP5 comes last because it just hasn't left much of an LP impression on me to date. I've had it for 3.5 years, listened a couple times, but it hasn't really spoken to me yet as a whole piece. Still some excellent tracks though.

Guest WNS000

In a genre where pretty much any sound, and any sequence and any composition is possible, the only thing which counts is taste and instinct. That's what Ae have more than any other artist I've heard.

Sorry for the late reaction, but this was very well written, mate.

Guest WNS000

I don't know why people don't like Incunabula. You suck.

Because it did not age very well (with some of the tracks being the obvious exceptions).

Edited by Jev

Guest Zwei Kreise

I don't know why people don't like Incunabula. You suck.

it is a great album. it is just that I feel that others are better. it is a relative scale if awesome.

The reason for it being so low on my list isn't because I think it's a bad album, in fact I listen to almost all Autechre releases equally, but it's more because it's the least distinctively Ae-sounding. Out of all of their albums, it's the one that sounds the least "like Autechre" and the most "like 90s electronica". Again, not a bad thing, but to me it makes it a clear outlier in their discography.

And imo Ae are at their best when they are operating at their full Ae-ness, hence Draft 7.30 being my favorite.

In a genre where pretty much any sound, and any sequence and any composition is possible, the only thing which counts is taste and instinct. That's what Ae have more than any other artist I've heard.

:ok: let me agree to it too :ok:

I would probably rank Incunabula lasts but that's because you have to rank something last. Nevertheless, Eggshell, Bike, and 444 are all classics and I've bene listning to 444 a lot lately. If Incunabula were by any other electronic artist it would be top 2-3.

They've been so consistently brilliant too. Quality plus quantity every time.

I'm blasting Quaristice every chance i get these last few weeks. Only took 5 years to click for me, or rather 'i clicked' for Quaristice. It may just be their tightest sounding album in terms of atmosphere, which i feel has a profound alienating ambiance about it.... Seems like the bass is quite a bit more full than Untilted, while having less reverb than Oversteps but still quite a bit. So yeah, i obviously would rank this quite high all of a sudden.

Autechre's music rewards patience in a delightful way indeed

Been a fan since TriRepetae broke me in and a slew of live shows nailed it home. Parts of some albums are the best noise I have ever heard, other tracks off said same album annoy me greatly, thankfully I am still absorbing these annoyances and they melt comfortably into my skin eventually, but not all, some are just annoying.

Tri Repetae / Cichlisuite / Peel Session / LP5 / Exai / Untitled / Draft 7.30 / EP7 / Confield / Oversteps / Amber / Move of Ten –

These have brough me the most joy... so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Chiastic Slide

Incunabula

Draft 7.30

Tri Repetae

Exai

Quaristice (only if you include versions and quadrange, which is what I think the definitive album is)

Untilted

Amber

Oversteps

Confield

LP5

I think my list is settled. Regarding LP5, I adore the first the tracks, but after that it is very hit or miss. Regarding Confield, I love the first two tracks, I like Sim Gishel, and I can tolerate the rest. Oversteps is an album I like quite a bit, but I have to be in the right mood for it to click (r ess is still amazing though). Untilted is there just for LCC and Sublimit. Amber, like Oversteps, is an album that is great when I am in the mood for it.

Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
Guest MaartenWesselius

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and what better way to start then with compiling my Ae album list?

LP5

Untilted

Exai

Confield

Draft 7.30

Tri Repetae

Chiastic Slide

Quaristice (counting all)

Amber

Oversteps

Incunabula

I tried to judge the albums by how good their average track is, not how good their best tracks are. That's just one approach, other approaches will result in different lists :happy: