IGNORED

New Album called "Ufabulum"

Guest teetime

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

maybe it's time to understand that tom is predominantly a bassist, not an IDM artist.

nonsense

Guest CraniumXII

:emotawesomepm9:

maybe it's time to understand that tom is predominantly a bassist, not an IDM artist.

nonsense

nonsense

:emotawesomepm9:

Guest myosis

well i'm not going to waste time arguing about this with IDM fanboys.

but complanining years and years over about him doing other shit like 'omg jazz' and 'omg rock fusion' and 'omg R&B' and 'omg classical bass guitar' is not gonna take you anywhere.

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

but complanining years and years over about him doing other shit like 'omg jazz' and 'omg rock fusion' and 'omg R&B' and 'omg classical bass guitar' is not gonna take you anywhere.

nonsense

nonsense

it's like he didn't trust the skill or interest in one side of his music and tried to find a way to gradually escape it

.. Or maybe he just wanted to do something a little different every now and then? Why stick with one genre when you can experiment with pretty much anything?

Guest myosis

that's part of what i'm saying, he's always tried to find new ways to approach bass guitar and the way it can sound.

even though his drum programming made him famous, he's much more interested in bass guitar than in drum patterns.

he likes synths but what he likes most is to create synths from his bass playing.

Enstrobia EP

WAP336CD

01 - Angel Integer

02 - 40.96a

03 - Panic Massive

40.96a (He also played it as an intro in his new set)

http://vimeo.com/32562610

Is it just me or does this seem like a "Squarepusher Shreds" video?

He was probably browsing xltronic in that video

I actually quite like this. A lot better than some of his other ambient pieces.

Hearing this on huge stacks at Creators in SF was awesome. It was a whole body massage of bass.

its okk but This sounds os much leik daft parnk

Guest CraniumXII

Well his latest techniques, using the bass in conjunction with a vocoder and his reactor editing, has yielded some very interesting results.

He mentioned in an earlier interview that some tracks on ultravisitor were so technical and time consuming, that he wanted to get away from that for awhile. It's interesting, but this sounds like a streamlined fusion of his favorite sounds and styles. This latest album has tinges of acid, jazz, fusion, Drum n' face... but I suppose the easiest way to describe this latest venture, would be IDM. He also seems to be having a lot of fun. Having a bit of the cheesiness that Ceephax so often has. It's an acquired taste as well, and some can't look past that, but he also once said that music was about laughing and crying... So apparently he's just having a good time, though this album also has some extremely aggressive sounds.

To Logboy... His roots started out in jazz. FMWT was very jazzy, and he pretty much always had a bit of that jazz influence. So what didn't you like about the progression of his music? If jazz simply isn't ur thing, then that is respectable. Just wondering.

I love the sonic journey that is, Squarepusher.

He mentioned in an earlier interview that some tracks on ultravisitor were so technical and time consuming, that he wanted to get away from that for awhile.

Fun fact - Whilst still at university I almost wasn't allowed in to an exam for wearing an Ultravisitor T-Shit as a member of the door security thought I'd printed my course notes all over it. Can't find a bigger image other than this one worn by a rather smug looking person -

T-SHIRT%2012.jpg

this current album says different, no?

Agreed. Actually most if not all of his albums other than SEB are IDM in that they were pushing some sort of fusion/electronic boundary, utilized new/custom/squarepusher developed production techniques, etc.

I mean sure, there was drum n bass/jungle elements in go plastic, but he warped them with time-stretches etc, stuff that was pretty much unique to him

or am I way off base?

to CraniumXII

like I say, the jazz tinge is fine, but the emulation of a jazz band doesn't interest me, & the switch from a dominance of electronic sounds and structures didn't feel like progression as much as it felt like disowning the personality that seemed embodies in the initial e.p's.

fair enough to think of change as progress, but I want progress I will enjoy listening to, & that means a thread of personality that follows through and shows a connection to the initial attraction at the same time as evolving into a new challenge. expect this will sound like a contradiction to many who just hold onto artists beyond reason to hold on, as this essentially is what I've done by giving Tom too many chances to realise he had more skill with machines than he seemed to have confidence to accept, hence how jazz performance element took over things sounded like they belonged to a different field of

interest.

Guest CraniumXII

to CraniumXII

like I say, the jazz tinge is fine, but the emulation of a jazz band doesn't interest me, & the switch from a dominance of electronic sounds and structures didn't feel like progression as much as it felt like disowning the personality that seemed embodies in the initial e.p's.

fair enough to think of change as progress, but I want progress I will enjoy listening to, & that means a thread of personality that follows through and shows a connection to the initial attraction at the same time as evolving into a new challenge. expect this will sound like a contradiction to many who just hold onto artists beyond reason to hold on, as this essentially is what I've done by giving Tom too many chances to realise he had more skill with machines than he seemed to have confidence to accept, hence how jazz performance element took over things sounded like they belonged to a different field of

interest.

Well, it's hard to say what his intentions were, from album to album, but I don't think u can say he wasn't confident with his equipment. He's said that he probably knows more about the equipment he owns, than the people who made it. Whether he's exaggerating or not, he's definitely confident.

But anyway, that's cool... You're more into the electronic side of him. I've definitely been waiting for the return of the manic Pusher, though numbers lucent was fockin' great, IMO. More straight forward than albums like Go Plastic, but I thought the peole let down by JAS would appreciate it. :x

I think when you're hunched over your samplers and drum machines for months, you feel the need to pull out the bass and live drums and wolf the fuck out.

And when you got them skills, why not?

I think when you're hunched over your samplers and drum machines for months, you feel the need to pull out the bass and live drums and wolf the fuck out.

And when you got them skills, why not?

definitely.

i like it best when he's doing both ala ultravisitor. when he does stick to 'pure' electronics, he still captures the feeling of jazz-funk bass in a lot of his melodies, so that element is pretty constant and always delicious.

so clark's album just came out, with the first preview track available roughly 10 weeks before the albums release. yet there have been no full-track previews for this when there are roughly 5 weeks until release, other than a 15 second teaser,? at this time, i even think iradelphic had two full track previews. i'm not sure i understand how warp decides these things.

if i hadn't already heard the recordings for the ny and sf concerts, i'd be more upset but oh well. pre-ordered anyways.

Archived