IGNORED

New Album called "Ufabulum"

Guest teetime

Guest CraniumXII

Don't really like the sound of the drums, reoccurring comment I know but I didn't like them in Shoba and I still don't.

I get it, the amen is done, all the classic breaks are used to death but there's so much more he could have done in a way that they wouldn't clash with everything else going on in most of the tracks.

I thought the samples in this track sounded pretty good. It's just what he's going for... I try not to be so critical of those things; whatever samples or synths are used are entirely up to the musician. If it's good music, then it ultimately doesn't matter. And again, I would reserve judgement till we hear the proper audio.

With all that said... I do agree with you in some instances. :cerious:

To be honest I don't really like the track to begin with, it sounds like something Basshunter or Tiesto would make if they had any advance synth and composition skills. As far the drums goes, the open-hats to me are the culprit, throw me off every single time.

Whoa! Using Squarepusher and Tiesto in the same sentence... Harsh. But to each his own, I suppose.

I see what you mean about the open-hats in the track, but it sounds a lot like the more classic Pusher to me I also like this somewhat simpler, cleaner approach. It sounds very streamlined, IMO.

Do you like any of the new tracks, drums aside?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a cool track!

It's not possible to know if he is consciously doing this or not, but as has been said, these new pieces do seem much more mainstream friendly... in some ways, even more so than the last two, which were also melodic/80s cop-showish/catchy but had the bizarre humour and strange production choices going on too.

I can see this stuff making him big.

I checked out dark steering and it's fucking beautiful compared to the last two albums.

Agreed - it sounds like Tomorrow World-era Squarepusher, when the man could do no wrong. Great track.

Guest ruiagnelo

those car sounds could use some more work, as they are too recognizable and spoil the magic. kinda cheesy melody. otherwise it is nice to see epileptic Tom again.

too bad it is really nothing new. we ve been there already

I remember in NYC, there was a part where he shut the music off halfway through a track to say something to the crowd to get us more pumped.

Well, that track was AWESOME and will convert all the skeptics without a doubt.

Man i can't for all the tracks from SF set in their full vinyl glory:

Tracks 1 and 2 are epic in melody and drums...... sweet as fuck

Track 3 is fucking amazing the way it goes from plinky plonky catchy melody to full on spazzed out dubbyness......HEAVY

Track 4 is pretty good."stadium ice".. heard on the ozzy show. A grower.

Track 5 is "Energy Wizard"..... a fucking like this..... a nice companion to track 3

Track 6 is "Red in Blue"... gorgeous ambient track

Track 7...is Damn tasty....."Drax 2" I believe and full on acid percussive nasty

Track 8.... goes with 7 and these tow remind me of autechre live for soem damn reason

Track 9....."Dark Steering"..... a killer track and no mistake.. this albums "red hot car/do you know squarepusher"... brillinant melody/acid line/and that squarepusher je ne sais pas

Track 10.... Sounds like Buzz Caner material to be honest and damn bloody fine it is too too

Track 11... a companion to the first two tracks... brilliant driving melody and all thats good about the squarepsuer.

(anyone know the names of the rest of these? and whats gonna be on the EP?)

THE DADDY IS BACK AND NO FUCKING MISTAKE

Don't really like the sound of the drums, reoccurring comment I know but I didn't like them in Shoba and I still don't.

I get it, the amen is done, all the classic breaks are used to death but there's so much more he could have done in a way that they wouldn't clash with everything else going on in most of the tracks.

I thought the samples in this track sounded pretty good. It's just what he's going for... I try not to be so critical of those things; whatever samples or synths are used are entirely up to the musician. If it's good music, then it ultimately doesn't matter. And again, I would reserve judgement till we hear the proper audio.

With all that said... I do agree with you in some instances. :cerious:

To be honest I don't really like the track to begin with, it sounds like something Basshunter or Tiesto would make if they had any advance synth and composition skills. As far the drums goes, the open-hats to me are the culprit, throw me off every single time.

Whoa! Using Squarepusher and Tiesto in the same sentence... Harsh. But to each his own, I suppose.

I see what you mean about the open-hats in the track, but it sounds a lot like the more classic Pusher to me I also like this somewhat simpler, cleaner approach. It sounds very streamlined, IMO.

Do you like any of the new tracks, drums aside?

Yes I like quite a few tracks, my favorite is probably the first one (aka the dancy one), I think the drums work very well here, also like the one with the autechre beat, Dark Steering and the dubstep track with the drum and bass meltdown. Maybe my opinion will change once I get to listen to the proper record.

I'm curious to know what he's actually doing 'Live', does he tweak the tracks much or is he more there for show and to wear the mask? Tom's use of his bass guitar gave him something to do on stage and without it I wonder how much manipulation he does. I don't imagine him riffing out a different variation of a solo as I've seen him do in the past with his guitar using whatever he's got hidden away behind that screen of LED's. I'd love to be proven wrong though! It seems that the visuals are so responsive/tied to the music that he wouldn't be adjusting them but it's hard to tell.

Track 9....."Dark Steering"..... a killer track and no mistake.. this albums "red hot car/do you know squarepusher"... brillinant melody/acid line/and that squarepusher je ne sais pas

:cerious:

Guest teetime

He changed "stadium ice" quite a bit since last year. He added this vocoder/voice emulation bass midi to vsti bit, and the drums are different too.

2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJSk5kPaGw

2012:

For me this track sounds like a shobaleader one "2" leftover. I wonder if he did some adjustments to fit in ufabulum.

I really hope his next project will be a fully realised jazz fusion band! :nyan:

Guest CraniumXII

I demand you tell us who you are working for!! :wink:

I just got the official "Dark Steering" MP3 download from BLEEP, @ 320kbps... :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Lucy Faringold

I expect this to be "angel integer". The first track on the bonus ep.

That's the first track on the proper album. It's called 4001.

Guest teetime

I expect this to be "angel integer". The first track on the bonus ep.

That's the first track on the proper album. It's called 4001.

Oh yeah.. 6:35 min in length isnt it?

Tell us more whats your opinion on the album, and which tracks are not in the album but in the live sets?

I must say that i am a bit suprised about 4001 being the title track. Bit of a letdown, considering that the first tracks of his albums tend to be fairly strong. The chorus part is to repetitve for my taste.

I caught myself looking at the clock the first time i heard it those rave synth chord bombs ,seriously!

The drum intro syncopation is serious fun though. But at whole the track seems somehow unbalanced.

Ufabulum is no go plastic 2 contender thats for sure..

Archived