IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

Meshuggah's really holding the monopoly on rhythmic complexity from all angles.

compared to what?

Other metal bands that are doing unconventional groove shizz.  Even when it's 4/4 all members are doing some crazy syncopated thing.  When other bands are doing this, I still find it relatively easy to follow along, but the Meshuggah brain is wired differently.  I guess I'm thinking of more groove oriented metal specifically, as opposed to bands who are just spastic and change meter/tempo every 30 seconds.  But it's rare that bands like that actually spaz to grooves that particularly unusual.  Of course I'm not taking melodic complexity into account.  None of the aforementioned bands are particularly complex melodically.

Other metal bands that are doing unconventional groove shizz.  Even when it's 4/4 all members are doing some crazy syncopated thing.  When other bands are doing this, I still find it relatively easy to follow along, but the Meshuggah brain is wired differently. 

Yeah I think you're on to something there. When I finally figure out what the fuck Meshuggah are playing in some of their more complex songs, it's like I've solved a puzzle, and start to hear it as the super syncopated, almost "funky" rhythms that they obviously planned..

Still can't hear Combustion with the 1 in the right place though. I did get it one night when super high though :P

never got into meshuggah but i enjoy this album very much... obviously features drums by Morgan Ågren and keyboards by Mats Öberg, members of the Swedish Mats/Morgan Band.

and although zappa is not considered metal this is a pretty dope metal sounding track:

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Wow, I hadn't seen that 1981 video before, awesome! I didn't know Mats & Morgan had been doing stuff together for that long.

And yeah, I really love that Thordendal album, I hope he releases another solo album someday.

Townsend is working with Agren right now apparently. They worked together on casualties of cool but Morgan's playing on that was super laid back. I'm expecting some crazier shit on the horizon.

The Special Defects facebook is still active, mostly just posts Meshuggah stuff but gives out little hints of a future release from time to time.

Tool and BoC have a lot in common. 

You may be on to something, Tool is using a virus TI on they're new one. Mystic Dance rock confirmed.

The new APC is pretty good for what it is. MJK's voice sounds amazing. I'm hoping like hell he doesn't mail it in for Tool. His anger and hatred toward Adam is very obvious in interviews. It's unquestionably their last album. Just go out with a bang pls.

well from what I understand it was always a rocky relationship. Lateralus almost broke them up from what I've read in the process of rewriting songs musically after they were ready for Maynard's vocals rendering all of his work useless. I'm pretty sure they butted heads on arrangements and stuff. They probably both feel like it's their band on some level. But having to wait 12 years for music and having to hear that maynard is usually the reason for things being held up took its toll as well.

:shrug:

The new APC is pretty good for what it is. MJK's voice sounds amazing. I'm hoping like hell he doesn't mail it in for Tool. His anger and hatred toward Adam is very obvious in interviews. It's unquestionably their last album. Just go out with a bang pls.

well from what I understand it was always a rocky relationship. Lateralus almost broke them up from what I've read in the process of rewriting songs musically after they were ready for Maynard's vocals rendering all of his work useless. I'm pretty sure they butted heads on arrangements and stuff. They probably both feel like it's their band on some level. But having to wait 12 years for music and having to hear that maynard is usually the reason for things being held up took its toll as well.

:shrug:

i'm surprised to hear you say that. i follow the interviews and i've not picked up on anything like hatred. more like ribbing. it's a creative collaboration and i think maynard appreciates that the other guys are entitled to do what they're going to do. 

collaborative writing is inevitably going to be frustrating, so undoubtedly some head butting occurred. 

there have been indications that maynard thought about walking from tool, but i thought that was more about how he puts himself out there to an audience that can be insensitive. like someone throwing a water bottle at his face during WFM on one of the first nights they did it live. 

i would be surprised if it seems like maynard mailed it in.

it will likely be very different than what a lot of people will be hoping for, just because people will be hoping for stuff just like eulogy, 46&2, the grudge, and WFM. maynard pretty consistently reserves the right to do what he wants.

Edited by very honest

He took a few backhanded shots in his book too. I'm not one for conjecture but it seems that way to me. I could be wrong.

And I for one do. it want Tool music from the past.

Edited by jules