IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

Yeah Puscifer is good, but also just sort of there mostly. Not to take anything away from them but it's just not something I can always hear and love and enjoy. But I get on a kick here and there and listen to Conditions and Vagina a lot, both solid albums.

APC is good, for the most, as ^stated the first two albums are all that's worth trying out. Second one has a few good tracks, was trying too hard and has some filler in it though. But it is good. First album is unique in a way but also a bit bland as well...very much a moody album full of some good alt-rock type hooks but a little dark and edgy ish. Lots of good songwriting on the first album, Billy Howerdel is talented no doubt, all the band that played are seasoned musicians as well... it's a touch self indulgent, as most good rock is of course. Just listen to a few tracks from each, you'll know pretty quick if you're into them or not.

Edit: anyway I was going to say I read some translated excerpt from an Italian interview with Tom Morello who said he's heard much of the Tool album (unsure if he's talking about demos or actual recordings, I'd assume demos) but without any vocals. He said...it sounds like Tool.

Edited by auxien

APC live sounds more like their recordings than any other band I've heard in concert.  Every tone was dialed in perfectly, playing was flawless, as were the vocals.  (This was right after the release of their first album.)  It's a shame they didn't keep it going while the going was good.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Well, they're using a helluva mic for some recording. Gear snobs

AKG C12 from the looks of Adam Jones instagram...

st8zmwuwtqq4jkjzpedk.jpg

Tool are the most complex band in the history of the music, they use like LSD and MATH to write songs, also there is a laser show and 3D spiraling visuals when they play live and everything means a lot

Re: IQ , how would the participants in this thread rate tool in terms of complexity compared to something like Meshuggah , or Something completely different , Isis ? I have listened to a fair bit of technical /avant metal and never understood the praise Tool gets from this perspective . I love Aenima and lateralus but see this more as straight out alt rock

By Prog standards, no where near the best. They use wonky time signatures, and are good musicians on the other hand. Carey being my favorite from the group.(Not really going on a limb with that one.) When Tool finds a groove in a track, that groove tends to be strong. There's a ton of bands more complex in theory, musicianship & song structure.

Re: IQ , how would the participants in this thread rate tool in terms of complexity compared to something like Meshuggah , or Something completely different , Isis ? I have listened to a fair bit of technical /avant metal and never understood the praise Tool gets from this perspective . I love Aenima and lateralus but see this more as straight out alt rock

I'd say meshuggah by miles. Tool uses a lot of math but they don't really sound overly complex. I think it contributes to things just sounding like a Tool song vs overly techy stuff like meshuggah. Isis is awesome too. But I think they have a much simpler sound although it got bigger and bigger with each album. I'm a fan of all 3 of these bands. My IQ must be through the roof.

Edited by jules

What Jules said. But also,

I wouldn't rate or compare Tool (or really anyone) in terms of complexity, because that's an insanely vague and pointless metric. Specific complexity, sure, let's talk, but just 'Meshuggah more complex?' well in what fucking ways? More polyrhythmic stuff? Sure, duh. More emotional complexity? Doubt it, not imo. More tonal complexity? No fucking way, Meshuggah's recordings and attention to detail in terms of their 'sound' is often shit. Tool gets praise for being technically interesting because they are without having to sacrifice themselves to the complexity like most of those bands do most of the time: Tool still write good, engaging, emotionally dynamic and just plain catchy songs. A lot of 'technical' bands don't. Much of that is up to specific opinion of course, but that's a general truth.

Isis are very special to me. I've always enjoyed them more than Tool even though they owe a bit to them in terms of exposure.

What Jules said. But also,

I wouldn't rate or compare Tool (or really anyone) in terms of complexity, because that's an insanely vague and pointless metric. Specific complexity, sure, let's talk, but just 'Meshuggah more complex?' well in what fucking ways? More polyrhythmic stuff? Sure, duh. More emotional complexity? Doubt it, not imo. More tonal complexity? No fucking way, Meshuggah's recordings and attention to detail in terms of their 'sound' is often shit. Tool gets praise for being technically interesting because they are without having to sacrifice themselves to the complexity like most of those bands do most of the time: Tool still write good, engaging, emotionally dynamic and just plain catchy songs. A lot of 'technical' bands don't. Much of that is up to specific opinion of course, but that's a general truth.

well put

Isis are very special to me. I've always enjoyed them more than Tool even though they owe a bit to them in terms of exposure.

yea, i love them too. not more than tool, but rank them very high. they were amazing live too. i wish they didnt disband, they just kept getting more interesting with each album

Yeah, you're talking more about Tool fans than Tool. As a Tool fan for over 20 years, I can verify that many Tool fans can be douches. I mean, just look at everyone ITT. ;)

But really, yeah the average Tool fan (of the past at least) is super proud that they listen to crazy complex music that's way more 'difficult' than whatever their friends are into, and they totally get it and are in on the jokes and all. I was like that when I was 16 because, well, I was 16. I was totally an ass about it at times. I moved on. I turn 18 this month and I'm way more mature these days, really totally past that.

Re: IQ , how would the participants in this thread rate tool in terms of complexity compared to something like Meshuggah , or Something completely different , Isis ? 

Danny Carey's drumming is really the only part of Tool that ranks high on the complexity scale imo.  Justin Chancellor's bass playing always compliments it perfectly and augments whatever weirdness Carey might be trying into something that grooves like a motherfucker.  Adam Jones guitar parts are very basic, but his rhythm is pretty much impeccable.  So between the three of them you've got a real powerhouse rhythm section. 

Meshuggah's really holding the monopoly on rhythmic complexity from all angles.

Isis are great, but there's nothing particularly complex going on in their music.  As players they're more viceral, less cerebral.  That's what makes them stand out.

Yeah, you're talking more about Tool fans than Tool. As a Tool fan for over 20 years, I can verify that many Tool fans can be douches. I mean, just look at everyone ITT. ;)

But really, yeah the average Tool fan (of the past at least) is super proud that they listen to crazy complex music that's way more 'difficult' than whatever their friends are into, and they totally get it and are in on the jokes and all. I was like that when I was 16 because, well, I was 16. I was totally an ass about it at times. I moved on. I turn 18 this month and I'm way more mature these days, really totally past that.

Tool and BoC have a lot in common. Their fan base is virtually identical as well.