IGNORED

WHY isn't LIAM HOWLETT ranked alongside RDJ? [ the Prodigy ]

vamos scorcho

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha well you're not wrong about the sell out thing, however who are we to judge, we'd probably do the same thing :p

surely it was very exciting music especially in the context of 90s rave culture. i can imagine people going mental to this stuff at raves and that's quite heartwarming.

to represent an answer the following link should give a taste of what was doing the rounds in comparison, a tune that would be worth walking through a hardcore tent/room just to see the devastation that'd ensue, its not exactly Larry Heard or Alfredo or Voodoo Ray or DiY or Selected Ambient Works, but, this would wreck a dancefloor more fully than the Dodgity ever could (and Shut And Dance put out plenty of inane bunk too during this period no doubt)

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble with Liam Howlett is that his talent is almost nullified by a cheesy streak a mile wide. Consider how much better this track would be if you cut off the cringey string pad w/ pitch bend and just started the track at 1:07...

Trouble with Liam Howlett is that his talent is almost nullified by a cheesy streak a mile wide. Consider how much better this track would be if you cut off the cringey string pad w/ pitch bend and just started the track at 1:07...

it would still be very shit

Also... I feel the chemicals deserve a little more love. This track is pretty timeless (in a way that prodigy and even some aphex isn't).

Yep, they have made some absolute bangers over the years.

Also some turd (lol, Salmon Dance) but on the whole, bangers

sounds like van halen or some shit

Music for the jilted generation was the first tape I ever bought, at the age of about 10 years old. Didn't know what it was, I only got it because the front cover reminded me of the painting from ghostbusters 2 which must've been my fave film at the time. Wish I could go back in time and watch myself going mental to it, on my sisters old walkman, on my own :) :) :) still gives me amazing feelings to do this day, and the reason I LOVE those vids that Ryan lad does to aphex and pusher vids

Also... I feel the chemicals deserve a little more love. This track is pretty timeless (in a way that prodigy and even some aphex isn't).

Yep, they have made some absolute bangers over the years.

Also some turd (lol, Salmon Dance) but on the whole, bangers

and great synth programming

I think Chems aged better than Prodigy because much of their aesthetic was heavily informed by 60s psychedelia, so it was already sort of aged/pre-evolved. They put a lot more care into their signal chains to sculpt both synths and samples into being both organic and trippy at a time where most people were content to just throw a fuzz on their TB-303 to make it snarl, and call it a day. Also they had a way of layering slightly conflicting rhythms to make them a little more complex and rolling and hypnotic where with Prodge it was typically just one big bouncy thing, so even when it got a little cheesy it didn't necessarily stick out like a sore thumb. Having 2 brains controlling the gear surely helped. 

Liam definitely had an ear for samples in his day. I think he could have nurtured that into some decent hip hop instead of cheesy rave crossover. 

I loved Jilted when it came out, was not particularly into the rave stuff prior to that (was mostly listening to metal and thrash at that point), though I thought it was ok. Everything they did after that is pretty fucking awful though.

I also loved Exit Planet Dust when it came out (and they did a great live show around that time too, caught them at Glastonbury in 97, also fond memories of Chemical Beats from playing Wipeout - which had a track from Jilted on it too IIRC), but everything after that is complete shit. Block Rocking Beats is some fucking cheesy nonsense, that Hey Boy Hey Girl tune was even more annoying.

Also some turd (lol, Salmon Dance)

fat lip and sammy the salmon taught me the ways of the ocean you MEANIE

http://i.imgur.com/MCUXZjW.gif

that song was so baffling but it seemed self-aware of how cheesy it was 

both We Are The Night and Push The Button are their weakest albums but still decent listens, I've been pleasantly surprised how good their output has been since. One of these days I'll probably start some CB thread, I love that group and they are something of the missing link between my love of electronic music now and my days of not really listening to anything besides classic and alt rock albums as a young teenager

Archived