IGNORED

The Aphex Twin rip-offs

logakght

Guest cult fiction

Sorry to dredge this up but it sounds like a track off Syro might be co-authored w/ Luke Vibert sans credit??

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/19930-luke-vibert-live-broadcasts-interviews/page-4

Q: Since we're talking about Aphex, what can you say about his last album? Do you like it?

A: Yes, I really liked it. Aphex, though didn't played it for me before release, and for his other friends, too. I got the impression that he was ashamed to play it to someone. We used always to play the new songs to each other. It's hard to be Aphex twin, it's quite harder than to be a Luke Vibert. People always expect something incredible from Aphex Twin and for me they don't expect anything, and therefore I can do whatever I want. Aphex offered me record an album together, but I now refuse to because I'm afraid that he'll steal from me my ideas. Once we've worked together - for a track, and six months later, I heard this track, that i heard would go into the new Aphex twin album and authorship there stood only for Aphex; there was not a word about me and that's what I, in fact, wrote all the bass line and the drums. I was very angry, so I decided no longer work together. Although we are still good friends, of course.
Q: What's your favorite track on Syro?
A: Produk.

Not gotten much discussion so far. 180db seems like the natural target historically but it has no bass line. Produk totally sounds like a Vibert tune, but who knows...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he's talking about Syro, from what I'm reading it seems like this happened way back on an already released album.

Guest cult fiction

Perhaps, the translation makes it hard to tell, maybe the first post in this ancient thread was actually right and it was Funny Little Man

Nope, but a friend of mine told me and he is a pretty good musician (he uses all that software to make music man he rocks). He made me listen to both of the tracks in row but I was not so sure, I don't have a good ear... so it's not really me who spotted the resemblance. But I trust him and if he says that the aphex twin song is a rip of the DA track, I believe it's so.

back on topic

I don't know about the songs the OP was referring to, but I'm quite sure that he ripped off one die antwoord track.

I was kinda disappointed when I learned that

which songs

There was a discussion in watmm a few months ago where a pulsewidth or heliosphan antecedent was pointed out. Definitely ripped that shit off. But other than that it looks like bs. The fact that the poster thinks a handful of saw 85 tracks are afx's best work indicates that he has some mental problems and should not be taken seriously

It seems like every publication who claims to be familiar with his music cite this as the Aphex Twin holy grail. I don't get it.

AFX ripped off some Rave producer i forget the name of and Luke Vibert ripped off some old composer i forget the name of.

BUT that is a very interesting quote from luke

Produkt dos have a certain VIBErt to it

I cannot remember correctly, but I think it was "Do you know the Aphex Twin"

What? lol Please, tell me when you know exactly the name of the Aphex Twin album, please. Thanks!

read the rules

guys, it was a (bad, I reckon) joke on ageispolis and ugly boy :rhubear3:

edit: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/83653-ugly-boy/page-3

i'm sure it was a joke, 'cause i know for Die Antwoord, but for Richard who takes a sample from one Die Antwoord track... that's really incredible, 'cause Richard does all in music... with some help with µ-Ziq, Cylob, Luke Vibert or Tom Jenkinson... but from others artists, it would be incredible! :spiteful:

I cannot remember correctly, but I think it was "Do you know the Aphex Twin"

What? lol Please, tell me when you know exactly the name of the Aphex Twin album, please. Thanks!

read the rules

The rules read you!

I'm amazed if anyone really thinks descening in thirds = ripping someone off.

Mental.

lol

unless that translation is totally whack that disappoints me that it doesn't seem like they'd do a collaboration album. It could be really special. Some of Vibert's best work is Rodulate, his collab with jeremy simmonds

I'm amazed if anyone really thinks descening in thirds = ripping someone off.

Mental.

lol

unless that translation is totally whack that disappoints me that it doesn't seem like they'd do a collaboration album. It could be really special. Some of Vibert's best work is Rodulate, his collab with jeremy simmonds

It's translated from Russian by a Russian, and the gist of it makes sense anyway. But yeah, a Vibert / Aphex collab was really high on my wanted list, it's a shame Vibert declined. Vibert's collabs are all class, not only Rodulate but the BJ Cole one is probably the best collab in music, period.

xtal claim is very true. i have the sample. (i think i got it here)

You mean this one?

I don't call this ripping off, this is just making a brilliant track out of a sample from a library sound.

Archived