IGNORED

The Aphex Twin rip-offs

logakght

Hey I saw this in /mu/:

Anything by Aphex Twin.

Also, Film is an old jazz musical from somewhere, I recognised that has a rip off instantly from the tinkle sound in the melody (the original was vocals, kind of like how they sung in chitty chitty bang bang or something). Would love to find that film again, actually.

Xtal uses an enigma vocal and classical melody. He was ripping of FSoL, of whom are crap, too because they were second wave mainstream new age bullshit. David Guetta unintentionally had the same bassline in one of his songs, too. Aphex Twin tried to sue but David Guetta showed the original.

Actium is also a rip off of the melody from an old TV programme for kids.

Pulsewidth was a rip off of an old techno rave anthem.

Ageispolis is also a rip off from a detroit techno song, there was even a music video, it had people doing the locking dance like in breakin2 electric boogaloo.

And that's all of Aphex Twin's best songs which are terrible anyway, so.

Also, Funny Little Man was Luke Vibert's idea, Aphex Twin stole it.

Come to Daddy (Pappy mix) was a rip off a mid west breakcore anthem. X ray dog (a film score artist) also did a version before AFX if I remember.

Is this true? I remember there's indeed a track pretty similar to Pulsewidth before SAW was released... But dunno! :P

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are refering to the planet mu messageboard? are you from the past?

No, he's refering to 4chan's music board

By the way, the whole RDJ album is a rip-off of various songs but I don't remember the name of any of them

Yeah, the fact the poster troll doesn't cite anything, like that "old techno rave anthem", I find some, not all, of their claims spurious at best.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Yeah, the fact the poster troll doesn't cite anything, like that "old techno rave anthem", I find some, not all, of their claims spurious at best.

yeah, no facts to back up these claims means i don't believe. but if they are true who cares? RDJ's music is fucking awesome. i say if he wants he can rip-off as many people as he likes. I think with the amount of amazing music he's put out he's entitled to it.

Pretty sure the Pulsewidth one is true

And what is the "techno rave anthem" in question then?

Don't know but I remember a friend showing me it and then listening to it on Youtube

Believe me if you wish. I think the others are bunk though but I'm pretty sure the Pulsewidth one is real.

EDIT: Nvm it might have been Heliosphan. But I specifically remember that one of the SAW2 basslines were blatantly sampled from some track

There was a discussion in watmm a few months ago where a pulsewidth or heliosphan antecedent was pointed out. Definitely ripped that shit off. But other than that it looks like bs. The fact that the poster thinks a handful of saw 85 tracks are afx's best work indicates that he has some mental problems and should not be taken seriously

Guest Brooks

Mozart "ripped off" Joseph Boulogne, the Chevalier de Saint-Georges. All great artists build upon the art to which they are exposed. You can call it "ripping off" if you want to, but it's the way it works. RDJ has, like all great artists, taken from the art around him, sometimes copying it closely, but often tweaking it substantially, or adding something purely creative to make it his own.

As someone already mentioned, many of the claimed "rip-offs" may be spurious, but even if they aren't, I would be neither surprised nor concerned.

There was a discussion in watmm a few months ago where a pulsewidth or heliosphan antecedent was pointed out. Definitely ripped that shit off. But other than that it looks like bs. The fact that the poster thinks a handful of saw 85 tracks are afx's best work indicates that he has some mental problems and should not be taken seriously

After like a half hour of digging I found it, the pulsewidth precedent

Still like pulsewidth better but the similarities are remarkable

Guest Frankie5fingers

Mozart "ripped off" Joseph Boulogne, the Chevalier de Saint-Georges. All great artists build upon the art to which they are exposed. You can call it "ripping off" if you want to, but it's the way it works. RDJ has, like all great artists, taken from the art around him, sometimes copying it closely, but often tweaking it substantially, or adding something purely creative to make it his own.

As someone already mentioned, many of the claimed "rip-offs" may be spurious, but even if they aren't, I would be neither surprised nor concerned.

I think your looking for the famous picasso quote "Good artists copy, great artists steal."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaIlC_MFL8

pulsewidth is one of my favorite aphex tracks and i barely hear any resemblance

Come to Daddy (Pappy mix) was a rip off a mid west breakcore anthem. X ray dog (a film score artist) also did a version before AFX if I remember.

o_O ?

wasn't come to daddy just a piss take of Firestarter / Breathe era Prodigy ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaaIlC_MFL8

pulsewidth is one of my favorite aphex tracks and i barely hear any resemblance

The first three chords are almost identical but in a different key. of course they're different songs but i can hear definite similarities

Guest HokusPoker

I'm not sure you'd be this diplomatic ("That's the way it goes in music") if it was Venetian Snares ripping Richard's tracks off.

Anyway, I don't see where there should be ripping off on Pulsewidth. It's three chords A->B->C->C played on a synthie, think I've heard that before. Similar to e.g. On, by the way, Richard uses that chord sequence a lot (and I can never seem to grow tired of it).

I'm not sure you'd be this diplomatic ("That's the way it goes in music") if it was Venetian Snares ripping Richard's tracks off.

I love Kettel

Archived