IGNORED

Richard D. James Quotes

i find it : http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/richard_d_james.html, & give me an idea 2 create a thread with his quotations which most marked u or amused u

Can't really despise people you don't know.

I got a feeling I had loads when I was in primary school, 'cause I had red hair; you know, like Duracell.

I used to make up names when I used to catalog my stuff.

I'm a really good hacker, but I'm not a sensible person.

It sounds really arrogant, but my music's my favourite music ever. I prefer it to anyone else's.

It started off at a club called Disobey, around the corner from where I live.

It's quite similar to guitar solos, only with programming you have to use your brain. The most important thing is that it should have some emotional effect on me, rather than just, 'Oh, that's really clever.'

Sometimes I just hit the keyboard in a way I'd like the rhythm of the tracks to sound.

The best musicians or sound-artists are people who never considered themselves to be artists or musicians.

There's a lot of melancholy in my tracks.

Well, I just bought a massive bank and I've moved into it on my own.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dflaghaozoushiduqwd.

Nice rhythm. I'd place a bit more focus on the D's though. It would bring a bit more balance to the middle section, which feels a bit lagging if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a quote from afx but about afx ..

(from reedit) -

I saw Aphex Twin on a train to London. I walked up the isle and said "hey, you're Richard James (his name) right?" He replied "Yeah, you want a sweet?" and proceded to give me a steak and cheese flavoured hard candy... It actualy tasted like steak and cheese... WTF.

so which one of you did this?

Not a quote from afx but about afx ..

(from reedit) - http://www.reddit.co...n_the/?sort=top

I saw Aphex Twin on a train to London. I walked up the isle and said "hey, you're Richard James (his name) right?" He replied "Yeah, you want a sweet?" and proceded to give me a steak and cheese flavoured hard candy... It actualy tasted like steak and cheese... WTF.

so which one of you did this?

lol, I asked Marilyn Manson for directions in Baltimore back in '96. He was loading his tour bus. His roadie said they were from out of town. My girlfriend recognized him after we drove away.

''I also don't want to give people the satisfaction of seeing me move, why should I? They're lucky that I'm even visible.''

''It's what we are all here to do - either help each other or create - it's our divine gift.''

"Someone had just got glassed right in front of me at the George Robey pub, Finsbury Park, North London, and I was thinking I wish I had stayed at home in my studio. Oh, I might as well stay and watch the bloke with the bass guitar, who keeps wandering behind the Dj booth. That, I thought, is almost certainly going to be good for a laugh. The next thing I felt was a fuzzy vibration, as monophonic sound waves that had travelled from the other side of the room at the speed of light, compressing the air and displacing the smoke of ten spliffs, hit me in both ear bones simultaneously. It was Mr. Jenkinson who was turning my heartbeat into the sound of a ring piece modulated resonant phaselocked trapezoid backwards edit phlanged kick drum. He made the sound of ambulances turn into slide trombones and the sound of a secretary filing her nails into a 24-piece string section. When my partner Grant Wilson-Clarriarge (Cerebus note: Grant is his partner in Rephlex Records) saw Tom spasmodically twitching in order to play a funky bassline in time with a 347 bpm drum and bass track, he thought he should either be committed or recorded (fortunately he chose the latter).

Undoubtedly, Tom Jenkinson is the first man in history to orchestrate an akai-seltzer fizzing a two mega byte simms memory upgrade chip (with 1 nanosecond access time) and a toilet flushing. When Mr. Jenkinson is conducting, the rest of the world is in the pit. One of his earliest experiments was recording an ant walking on sand. Unfortunately, the experiment was cut short by a cat meowing. Of course, this is not to say that Tom 'Squarepushing' Jenkinson was the first person ever to discover that the sounds of everyday life can be more melodious than the sounds of traditional music. For instance, George Bernard Shaw once said, "Nothing soothes me more after a long day of pianoforte recitals, than to sit and have my teeth drilled." The Squarepusher is someone who wonders what the holes of a flute sound like without the flute. Sound like sound never sounded before, Richard Rodgers and Julie Andrews gave us the Sound of music, John Cage and Simon and Garfunkel gave us the Sound of silence and now the Squarepusher gives us the SOUND of SOUND.

- PRichard.D.Jams"

"Someone had just got glassed right in front of me at the George Robey pub, Finsbury Park, North London, and I was thinking I wish I had stayed at home in my studio. Oh, I might as well stay and watch the bloke with the bass guitar, who keeps wandering behind the Dj booth. That, I thought, is almost certainly going to be good for a laugh. The next thing I felt was a fuzzy vibration, as monophonic sound waves that had travelled from the other side of the room at the speed of light, compressing the air and displacing the smoke of ten spliffs, hit me in both ear bones simultaneously. It was Mr. Jenkinson who was turning my heartbeat into the sound of a ring piece modulated resonant phaselocked trapezoid backwards edit phlanged kick drum. He made the sound of ambulances turn into slide trombones and the sound of a secretary filing her nails into a 24-piece string section. When my partner Grant Wilson-Clarriarge (Cerebus note: Grant is his partner in Rephlex Records) saw Tom spasmodically twitching in order to play a funky bassline in time with a 347 bpm drum and bass track, he thought he should either be committed or recorded (fortunately he chose the latter).

Undoubtedly, Tom Jenkinson is the first man in history to orchestrate an akai-seltzer fizzing a two mega byte simms memory upgrade chip (with 1 nanosecond access time) and a toilet flushing. When Mr. Jenkinson is conducting, the rest of the world is in the pit. One of his earliest experiments was recording an ant walking on sand. Unfortunately, the experiment was cut short by a cat meowing. Of course, this is not to say that Tom 'Squarepushing' Jenkinson was the first person ever to discover that the sounds of everyday life can be more melodious than the sounds of traditional music. For instance, George Bernard Shaw once said, "Nothing soothes me more after a long day of pianoforte recitals, than to sit and have my teeth drilled." The Squarepusher is someone who wonders what the holes of a flute sound like without the flute. Sound like sound never sounded before, Richard Rodgers and Julie Andrews gave us the Sound of music, John Cage and Simon and Garfunkel gave us the Sound of silence and now the Squarepusher gives us the SOUND of SOUND.

- PRichard.D.Jams"

nice words

Daniel Verdú (El Paìs Magazine): What is your relationship with the public?

Richard D. James: I hate them.

[...]

Daniel Verdú (El Paìs Magazine): Do you still think that schizophrenia is a mental interesting for music?

Richard D. James: Sure. Two minds are better than one.

Daniel Verdú (El Paìs Magazine): What is the most important thing that has to have a song?

Richard D. James: Emotion.

Daniel Verdú (El Paìs Magazine): What do you look when you compose?

Richard D. James: Nothing.

Daniel Verdú (El Paìs Magazine): When you feel that a song is finished?

Richard D. James: When I'm tired of doing it.

Daniel Verdú (El Paìs Magazine): Is there something in the music that would still like to do?

Richard D. James: More than ever. I can fill the gaps that are everywhere.

Archived