IGNORED

Jodey Kendrick - Steel Erector

Redruth

This release makes me think there simply can't be many good tracks lying around the Rephlex office waiting to be released.

First of all, half of these tracks don't really cut it, do they?

Secondly, what seems like a single body of work (40 odd tracks from the same period, with similar approach and feel) has now been spread out over five (5!) different releases with quite a few overlaps between them, over a three year period. Some critical selection and a decisive release plan on Rephlex's behalf would have benefited JK's career, I'm sure.

This release makes me think there simply can't be many good tracks lying around the Rephlex office waiting to be released.

First of all, half of these tracks don't really cut it, do they?

Secondly, what seems like a single body of work (40 odd tracks from the same period, with similar approach and feel) has now been spread out over five (5!) different releases with quite a few overlaps between them, over a three year period. Some critical selection and a decisive release plan on Rephlex's behalf would have benefited JK's career, I'm sure.

Exactly my thoughts. There's a few good tracks on these releases, but it seems like there has been absolutely no quality control. A lot of this stuff is just... boring.

i agree. mental union part 2 is brilliant but the rest of the new "catalogue" is pretty shitty. most people make pretty shitty music these days. things have been like that for quite a while. electronic musicians are uninspired. or to be precise, the new releases on rephlex mostly suck. the contrast between the tuss and those new releases is ridiculous. ok, mental union part 2 is very good. fuck rephlex lol

not really digging the samples, sounds too much like Analord - the 'ord

why is that a bad thing?

not entirely, i've grown to like analord quite a bit. but since at least me this doesnt sound like it was made on analog equipment and is very very similar in execution it doesn't compare. If you want to emulate a style this closely, but using a laptop (again just a suspicion) i think it needs to have something extra or with a slightly different spin to make it worthwhile. I just got an EOD 12" i forgot the title but to me it's sort of in the spirit of analord but very different sounding overall

Edited by Awepittance

The Tuss release is at my top of past releases as well, but to call everything else uninspired or irrelevant is just silly. Also if everything be at that "level", it'd would just mean it's casual/standard/etc, making it not special at all..

here's the correct tracklist, from the man himself:

Disc 1

1.My Mate Aelfric

2.Wind of Jack

3.Heidi Funk

4.DAF

5.Mind Sine Channel

6.Drew Funk

7.Heels

8.Baffle

9.15 Vac

Disc 2

1.C

2.PH

3.Carpet Wrong

4.Yeah Yeah

5.Crop Groove

6.Iluvronhardydisco

7.Dial

8.Goniometer

9.E.TON

Edited by vincentvc

The Tuss release is at my top of past releases as well, but to call everything else uninspired or irrelevant is just silly. Also if everything be at that "level", it'd would just mean it's casual/standard/etc, making it not special at all..

dumbing down

ok, well the tracklist that vincentvc posted fixed the mistitled tracks

and a random thought, if J Kendrick is Jidomatix, then why wouldn't he release any of the Jido tracks on this release?

Edited by B1000

i agree. mental union part 2 is brilliant but the rest of the new "catalogue" is pretty shitty. most people make pretty shitty music these days. things have been like that for quite a while. electronic musicians are uninspired. or to be precise, the new releases on rephlex mostly suck. the contrast between the tuss and those new releases is ridiculous. ok, mental union part 2 is very good. fuck rephlex lol

better get on and start making more inspired music then lads ;) it's easy to sit at the sidelines and criticize rather than construct!

Edited by Macca

ok, well the tracklist that vincentvc posted fixed the mistitled tracks

and a random thought, if J Kendrick is Jidomatix, then why wouldn't he release any of the Jido tracks on this release?

Damn, i wish he would do that, i was so fucking pissed about this new album : where are the fucked up 240 BPM Druqks-like tracks ?

I think rephlex are damned if they do, damned if they don't... they get slagged off for not releasing stuff very often, then release 2 albums in quick succession and get slagged off for lack of quality control...:cisfor:

better get on and start making more inspired music then lads ;) it's easy to sit at the sidelines and criticize rather than construct!

agreed! i'm personnally not good enough to do better than those people, but i'm surprised at the general mediocre standard we're having these days. the only recent electronic stuff that stimulated me were aleksi perala's MU cd2, polysick's digital native and photodementia. the rest was pretty boring to me. i haven't really been into music lately so maybe there's been some really interesting new stuff i'm not aware of, in which case i'd like to be pointed to it.