IGNORED

Jodey Kendrick - Steel Erector

Redruth

No, it doesn't. That sounds like kid's stuff compared to the Metz track.

Sure, there's a fifth-based pitch bendy synth patch, some 808 samples and ring modulated sine/FM bass action, but the application of the elements lacks all the finesse, inspiration and genius of the Metz track.

the application of the elements lacks all the finesse, inspiration and genius of the Metz track.

Pretty true and quite obvious when you listen to both in a row. But I keep on thinking that "Rouse" might be heavily Metz influenced.

No, it doesn't. That sounds like kid's stuff compared to the Metz track.

Sure, there's a fifth-based pitch bendy synth patch, some 808 samples and ring modulated sine/FM bass action, but the application of the elements lacks all the finesse, inspiration and genius of the Metz track.

look http://www.normanrec...--steel-erector

* This album is the accompaniment to Jodey’s other recent album, “Plus Ten”.

* Jodey Kendrick was born in York. He lived there until the age of eight, when his parents took over the running of a pub in the South East (UK).

* As a child he would watch films with his Dad, always focusing on the music within them. Those that stood out most were Lalo Schifrin in Dirty Harry and John Carpenter’s work in his own films.

During his adolescent years he was regularly in trouble with both his parents and the police for amongst other things motorbike theft and shooting out street lamps! It was at that time that he heard a mix tape which contained Stakker’s ‘Humanoid’ track. He was instantly intrigued not just by the sounds but how they were made. He got himself a Commodore 64 which he tinkered around with for a while before progressing onto an Amiga. He could no longer be bothered with going out and causing trouble, all he wanted to do was make music.

* Starting work gave him the means to move onto sequencers and samplers, and in more recent years, analogue synths and computers. He won't however, be drawn into the analogue vs digital debate, in his eyes "it's all good".

* Jodey has worked long hours for the last eight and a half years as a steel fabricator on some of London’s largest buildings but this hasn't stopped him from amassing a library of hundreds of tunes, a reflection of his passion and drive for music.

* Up until recently though, the only people to have heard Jodey's music were close friends and family. In fact, it was threatening words from his friends that persuaded him to put his music on the internet, which has subsequently provided him with the opportunity to play gigs and release his material on Rephlex. The label was amazed at how little classic Detroit and Chicago House & Techno Jodey was actually aware of, making the tracks he does; also knowing little of the label itself, it seems Mr Kendrick has been fighting his own unique corner, reinventing these genres for himself with a contemporary slant, striving for some solid, driving tunes to counter the hardbagcore of his native Dunstable.

Edited by Redruth

Liked 'Plus Ten' but it would be good to hear something more than these noodling synth sounds that himself and a few other of his rephlex noobs rest on their laurels with. Something with a heavy drum beat, where you cant even hear the noodling synths. He'd be out of his comfort zone.

Edited by Schlitze

sounds great to me, hell in the back of mind Im still unconvinced that monolith and kendrick are anything but afx lol

I know theres a dude who plays "live" at shows, but how genious would it be to create fake aliases, use friends that DJ as a cover... imagine how much $$$$$ richard really got out of bangface and other rephlex shows. Id be interested to know if anyone has had personal chats with these guys and how much history they have with crafting tracks of this level of quality (rephlex releases).

if afx goes through different styles and is now mostly only wanting to release older material from 4-5 years ago, that could also explain how we have had no new content from monolith or kendrick for 3 years but now suddenly have new material that is still sounding as if it was made when the first releases came out.

Edited by compson

i hope Rephlex will release some more really abstract music like they did in the past. Arpanet, Pierre Bastian, Victor Gamma, things like that. I miss the occasional electro-acoustic and just plain weird as fuck stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gravity

Man, it's a shame Rephlex doesn't just sell their stuff digitally. For fuck's sake, they don't even let other sites do it. It'd be nice if the site was updated once since December 2009.

Man, it's a shame Rephlex doesn't just sell their stuff digitally. For fuck's sake, they don't even let other sites do it. It'd be nice if the site was updated once since December 2009.

it really is unfortunate, because they gave an indication in 09 that they wanted to jump into digital exclusive releases but then just started pressing a bunch of CDs (exclusive cds, not dual formats with a vinyl release also) with no audio previews after? It makes no sense at all to me unless someone changed their mind on the approach.

it really is unfortunate, because they gave an indication in 09 that they wanted to jump into digital exclusive releases but then just started pressing a bunch of CDs (exclusive cds, not dual formats with a vinyl release also) with no audio previews after? It makes no sense at all to me unless someone changed their mind on the approach.

My random guess is that rephlex.com was an experiment. They threw up an initial batch of stuff to see how it would do. And they probably got some sales, but I bet they saw a TON of piracy too. I know every blog in the world was posting “all the analords” RARs at the time and shit.

I can see the point of view that they then decided, for them, that rephlex.com digital was actually making piracy easier and more convenient for pirates, and the normal “iTunes effect” of convenience trumping piracy was not a factor for them. So they abandoned the project.

/wild specualtion

EDIT: anyway who am I kidding, of course I’m gonna buy this.

Edited by Ascdi

if they did vinyl only i could understand that point of view, if it is the case. but a CD can be easily ripped, perhaps it wouldn't spread as quickly as a digital download would through piracy but the net effect would be the same.