IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I don't really have as much time to play PC games as I'd like to anymore, but I've been passing time with the delightful FTL. This really hits all the right buttons with me. It's pretty tough to actually beat but I refuse to play it on easy nonetheless. Every game goes a bit better and I don't really mind dying a lot since every playthrough I seem to discover something new and do a tiny bit better.

GTA V is out in a few months. New consoles won't be needed for the next few years.

So true. I still play GTA IV.

...Sometimes I just go cruisin. (at really high speeds and murder lots of people)

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

Guest disparaissant

tumblr_mk8zpgPTBl1rz3s4to1_1280.png

aieeeee

looks good what is it?

I'm looking for fun new games to play that aren't shitty bleek cut scene shoe-horned to shit first person shooter games, would you recommend this one?

looks good what is it?

I'm looking for fun new games to play that aren't shitty bleek cut scene shoe-horned to shit first person shooter games, would you recommend this one?

it's Kerbal Space Program. it's pretty great, but it's still in alpha so i'm not sure if i can recommend it unless you like being all dorky and making rockets and trying to get them into orbit/other planets/etc. it's hella fun though! there's a demo.

Guest Iain C

How much exploriness can you do on the roads - I take it you can't go town narrow country lanes in the English countryside ? (i.e. How much has actually been mapped in each country ?)

ive only played for a couple hours now so i dont really know. but from what ive seen you can drive wherever there is road, which you need to do to find new Truck dealers. as for the amount of mapping, i think much of it has been left out. so no back roads, mostly highways. you dont start off with your own truck and to get a job you pick it from a list then instantly starts you off at the loading dock, then you follow your GPS to the destination. but maybe when you get your own truck you have to drive to the loading dock.

iain might be able to answer the question better.

I can - and I will!

The roads and landscapes are an abstraction. I don't think they bear much relation to actual reality, and you're mainly confined to motorways and some single-lane B roads. The towns are very small and aren't designed for exploring. The whole continent is compressed, for obvious reasons...

But the thing is, you won't notice it. Like GTA, it creates a very convincing impression of size. There are some landmark tunnels, buildings and views you'll recognise.

In truth, it's an A-to-B simulator rather than a see-the-world sandbox - but you'll feel like you're exploring, if that makes sense. I honestly think it's a brilliant game, and if you're at all interested you should try the vast demo to get a feel for it yourself.

I bought myself a 360 pad for the PC specifically so I could play Streets of Rake Remake and Euro Truck Sim so I'll be picking this up soon, I actually can't wait... lol!

Been playing a lot of point and click adventure games over mostly everything else now. Chalk it up to age, I guess.

"Book of Unwritten Tales" Game was EXTREMELY good. I would put it right up there alongside Monkey Island for best adventure games I've played. The game oozes with charm and the characters were really well written (Lindsay Lohan-esque snobby wood elf, narcissistic Han Solo-type human whose behaviour gets worse instead of better, a gnome with has absolute innocence about everything around him, and a hairy blob that speaks nonsensical and bastardized dutch.) Very gorgeous graphics, really good voice acting and plays straight up like Monkey Island and The Longest Journey. Puzzles were slightly on the easy side but were very clever and logical at the same time. It was really well designed and didn't find any flaws at any point in the game (except for some localization stuff where the text didn't 100% match up with dialog.) Took 15 hours to beat. There is a prequel addon to it that is also highly recommended that I'll be trying out next hopefully. 10/10

Gemini Rue: Futuristic detective adventure game that goes between two characters: one who is a detective trying to find a contact on a planet owned by space yakuza, and a prisoner who had his memory wiped being held in some prison. The graphics were VGA but were easily the best part of the game: The planet looked like a miserable Bladerunner-edystopian Japan with big beltching space-fuel mines that make it permanently twilight and raining. Voice acting, shooting sequences and pixel hunts were less than spectacular and flimsy. The ending and plot twist sucked and the last part of the plot was ridiculously pretentious, even for an indie game. Overall, where it lacked substance it made up with style. About 5-6 hours. 7/10

Resonance: Near-Future adventure game that has multiple endings, characters to play, and ways to solve puzzles. The story is about an explosion that happens at a science lab during a black out, and four characters that the events of the explosion revolve around indirectly. The puzzles were medium difficulty but it had lots of timed sequences that pissed the ever loving shit out of me. I am pretty sure that one part could only be done by save-scrumming with trial and error. Plot twist was very illogical but I didn't see it coming at all (coincidentally made by the Gemini Rue gang). Hint system was brilliantly implemented in the game though (talking to the other characters and discussing different perspectives of some problem). This game had the opposite problems of Gemini Rue: Lots of substance, little style. 8/10

Games I got next on my list: Syberia 1 and 2, Botanicula, Machinarium, Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey 2 (first one was amazing! Everyone with a windows PC should play through it), Broken Sword series (probably going to do these last), and go through all of the Quest for Glory games (probably the only series I'll play with a hintbook in hand)

Speaking of Quest for Glory: Screw the Sierra adventure games! I recently read that not only were they illogical and ridiculously hard, but they were designed to be so that they Sierra would sell more hint guides and profit more from the Sierra tip lines, with Adventures of Willy Beamish and the Kings Quest series being the biggest offenders.

Edited by Entorwellian

I don't really have as much time to play PC games as I'd like to anymore, but I've been passing time with the delightful FTL. This really hits all the right buttons with me. It's pretty tough to actually beat but I refuse to play it on easy nonetheless. Every game goes a bit better and I don't really mind dying a lot since every playthrough I seem to discover something new and do a tiny bit better.

probably my favorite game of recent years, such simple and brilliant game mechanics. so many tears of joy and ffffuuuu moments.

the only serious flaw i can think of is that the randomness is often too significant, for example if you randomly acquire burst laser mk 3 or some other powerful weapon early on, chances are you'll breeze through the whole campaign.

the fact that its kickstarter was super successful bodes well for the future of gaming.

Strange they haven't committed it to PS4 and whatever the next xbox is going to be... methinks Microsoft threw a wad of cash at EA for a "next xbox" timed-exclusive for their console unveiling.

Battlefield 4 has a video out. Check it out.

view it on youtube to watch it in 1080p. It looks amazing.

another 6 hours of michael bayisms ? bf games don't need single player campaigns.

Dudebro's & set-pieces: the vidjiya gayehm

But Battlefield is all about the Multiplayer anyway... It's only multiplayer game series I enjoy really. So I am excited.

Dudebro's & set-pieces: the vidjiya gayehm

But Battlefield is all about the Multiplayer anyway... It's only multiplayer game series I enjoy really. So I am excited.

I really hope (probably, they'd be stupid not to) there is a PS4 version - I love Battlefield but always hated the aliased graphics. Hopefully their Frostbyte 3 engine solves that, even on the PS3.

Just had my first rage quit in a game since I was a kid. I swear the balance in Shadow of the Colossus' time attack mode is completely fucked. How the hell am I able to breeze through all of the colossi except for the third one, which is raping me endlessly. They need to give me another minute!

I just watched the Hideo Kojima FOX Engine conference at GDC 2013.

The Phantom Pain is MGS: Ground Zeroes, or MGSV.

There are no HD videos on youtube yet, so I will wait to post a video link.

edit: The FOX Engine is amazing btw.

edit: here is one of the videos, i just found it.

Edited by 747Music

Guest Iain C

Picked up Jamestown in the Steam Sale, an excellent top-down bullet hell shooter set in a weird 18th-century Mars where you have to fight a Spaniard/Martian alliance in your plucky anachronistic spaceship. Very good if you like the genre, levels are a bit short but there are plenty of extras. It's also not too difficult as bullet hell games go, it's definitely no Ikaruga.

Play it with a gamepad or don't play it at all.

Guest bitroast

Ni No Kuni!!

It's so lovely^^. It's the equivalent of being in a studio ghibli video game rpg. With Pokemon style gotta catch them all gameplay and lovely ghibli story telling/animation. Seriously, loving this game^^

Edited by pigster

Always cracks me up how it says "FUCKS GIVEN: 0" when the tractor looses its carriage.

You'd imagine it to have fatal consequences for the driver if he gives so little fucks about this type of situation, job-wise I mean.

Guest Enter a new display name

Picked up Jamestown in the Steam Sale, an excellent top-down bullet hell shooter set in a weird 18th-century Mars where you have to fight a Spaniard/Martian alliance in your plucky anachronistic spaceship. Very good if you like the genre, levels are a bit short but there are plenty of extras. It's also not too difficult as bullet hell games go, it's definitely no Ikaruga.

Play it with a gamepad or don't play it at all.

Did you see my post about this game a few pages prior to your post?

Guest glasse

I installed a program on my Mac called Darwin Remote that not only pairs a wiimote via Bluetooth but also supports motion, via motion and IR sensors. I thought it'd be cool to have the motion control the mouse to play FPS, but the problem is that it sees it as a seperate 'released' mouse from the trackpad in the game. I've only been able to try it with cloud games like OnLive offers so maybe it would be different with a locally installed game.

The prospect of playing any FPS as a motion shooter seems cool though, although I bet even if it worked the sensitivity and lack of dead zone customization would make it wonky.