IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Guest jasondonervan

on a platform I can't touch :voms:

:catsuicide::cattears:

From the second it was announced (prior to the release of the console itself) I knew I'd be buying a Wii U solely for Bayo 2. Anything else was/is just a bonus.

The Evil Within seems to be getting shit on quite a bit, looks like I'm holding out for Silent Hills for a new good horror game.

I have completed about half of the game and I must say the critics are wrong: they complain about either the story (Who cares? It's a video game), the difficulty (What else do you expect from Shinji Mikami?) or the black bars (Screen ratio is wider than 16:9). If you are familiar with Shinji Mikami's work, you can tell this game is quality. The game does not hold your hand, the clumsy controls make the game design interesting, the situations have a lot of tension, and the atmosphere is immersive.

This game is like Resident Evil 4 (from the same director, mind you), but less accessible to the general public. Do you remember when Godhand was hated and it later became a cult game? Similar things were told about Vanquish. The Evil Within was simply made for a more hardcore crowd. Just ignore the reviews.

One of the reasons people are taking big fat steamers all over it is because of the absolutely piss-poor PC port. If you just play games on consoles then I doubt it matters to you but sometimes people forget that a very big chunk of the people who play games play on PC, and most of those people have some expectations from games which, when not met by the developers, result in a really crappy gaming experience. I can't be bothered to go into details myself but you can watch this really good video on just one of the problems with the PC port.

Guest jasondonervan

Oh, I've been losing myself to Elite Dangerous more and more. Trying not to get too attached to my progress as Beta 3 is due by the end of the month, and everything gets wiped... but still, it's one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had all year. One of my snaps from my travels, just before stopping off for a refuel:

iod2REwTfwYDm.jpg

I bought Portal 2 in the US sale, still an amazing game. Also picked up a bunch of Castlevania games from the current UK sale, pity Dracula X isn't playable on anything but PSP.

Psychonauts is amazing.

Still on my PS3 waiting to be played like 100s of others.

Psychonauts on PS3? Say what?!

Also, good shout on Portal 2. Fucking loved that game, definitely need to replay it at some point.

Guest Enter a new display name

The Evil Within seems to be getting shit on quite a bit, looks like I'm holding out for Silent Hills for a new good horror game.

I have completed about half of the game and I must say the critics are wrong: they complain about either the story (Who cares? It's a video game), the difficulty (What else do you expect from Shinji Mikami?) or the black bars (Screen ratio is wider than 16:9). If you are familiar with Shinji Mikami's work, you can tell this game is quality. The game does not hold your hand, the clumsy controls make the game design interesting, the situations have a lot of tension, and the atmosphere is immersive.

This game is like Resident Evil 4 (from the same director, mind you), but less accessible to the general public. Do you remember when Godhand was hated and it later became a cult game? Similar things were told about Vanquish. The Evil Within was simply made for a more hardcore crowd. Just ignore the reviews.

One of the reasons people are taking big fat steamers all over it is because of the absolutely piss-poor PC port. If you just play games on consoles then I doubt it matters to you but sometimes people forget that a very big chunk of the people who play games play on PC, and most of those people have some expectations from games which, when not met by the developers, result in a really crappy gaming experience. I can't be bothered to go into details myself but you can watch this really good video on just one of the problems with the PC port.

Yeah, most of the negative reviews on Steam mainly mention the poor port. I think it's too bad The Evil Within has such a bad reputation already while it's actually a great game. I am sure it is quite similar to Alien: Isolation: the reviews are more or less good but the players seemto really enjoy it.

Oh, I've been losing myself to Elite Dangerous more and more. Trying not to get too attached to my progress as Beta 3 is due by the end of the month, and everything gets wiped... but still, it's one of the most immersive gaming experiences I've had all year. One of my snaps from my travels, just before stopping off for a refuel:

iod2REwTfwYDm.jpg

i have this game on my radar, the combat looks really intense on the youtubes and they're doing some pretty cool things with the physics and stuff. but i'm wondering how deep is economy going to be? i'm playing x3 albion prelude (rebirth is a turd) now and it's insane, you can basically build your own industrial empire with factories and tons of ships and it will be integrated in the game world, it looks like elite is more shallow in that regard and more action oriented, thus shorter life span..

I bought Portal 2 in the US sale, still an amazing game. Also picked up a bunch of Castlevania games from the current UK sale, pity Dracula X isn't playable on anything but PSP.

Psychonauts is amazing.

Also, good shout on Portal 2. Fucking loved that game, definitely need to replay it at some point.

It's on the US PSN store, don't think it's available on the UK store, though. My official account is with the UK store, and I have a dummy account for the US store.

It's only $5, so if you're desperate, go for it, you can also cash in on the much better sales.

Psychonauts is amazing.

Dracula X can be played on PS3 or PSP...

Psychonauts is amazing.

Dracula X can be played on PS3 or PSP...

Ah, in the US, but not in the UK, since it's on sale just now there.

Yeah, that's why fanboys are blind to the fact that every game after MSG1 is unplayable, nonsensical garbage.

MSG3 is still amazing.

I also enjoyed Monosodium glutamate 3: Salt Eater

:emotawesomepm9:

Randomly bought Shadow of Mordor (PC) on the weekend, tbh I didn't actually know anything about the game until last week! Glad I took the plunge, the combat is suitably crunchy and it looks gorgeous.

Not sure about new Alien, tempted to wait that out until it goes cheaper...

Elite Dangerous still great, took myself off to a low intensity combat zone and got stuck into some shooty dogfighting for a change (have mostly been running cargo). Really intense battles, so much fun. Game is lush/IDM as furk, probably a contender for one of my games of the year, even though it is still in beta.

By4w3RSIcAAk7FY.png

Elite game good? That's made my life.. elite was my childhood game, and didn't enjoy any of the attempts to remake it.

Sounds silly , but It totally put me off in X when the explosions were smaller than the actual craft. Is it better this time around?

Hows the exploration? Totally IDM?

Edited by lala

Yeah, that's why fanboys are blind to the fact that every game after MSG1 is unplayable, nonsensical garbage.

MSG3 is still amazing.

I also enjoyed Monosodium glutamate 3: Salt Eater

:emotawesomepm9:

Randomly bought Shadow of Mordor (PC) on the weekend, tbh I didn't actually know anything about the game until last week! Glad I took the plunge, the combat is suitably crunchy and it looks gorgeous.

Not sure about new Alien, tempted to wait that out until it goes cheaper...

Elite Dangerous still great, took myself off to a low intensity combat zone and got stuck into some shooty dogfighting for a change (have mostly been running cargo). Really intense battles, so much fun. Game is lush/IDM as furk, probably a contender for one of my games of the year, even though it is still in beta.

By4w3RSIcAAk7FY.png

Elite game good? That's made my life.. elite was my childhood game, and didn't enjoy any of the attempts to remake it.

Sounds silly , but It totally put me off in X when the explosions were smaller than the actual craft. Is it better this time around?

Hows the exploration? Totally IDM?

the explosions in the most recent X (that's not the latest turd known as rebirth), albion prelude are miserable, lol, it literally looks like a tiny low res video of explosion is overexposed on the ship that's supposed to explode. it feels very fake. the exploration can be interesting, but it's not the highpoint of the game. where x3 shines is the liveliness of the universe, there's always action, trading and wars that are going on that are not for show but actually affect the whole game economy and you can built and drive everything that exists by yourself. graphically it's still pretty good as well, the models of ships and station are very beautiful and distinct and the combat is good too. the sound is kinda lame though, especially compared to this upcoming elite.

Ack. Why cant they get the explosions right? Even a big debris cloud would work better than the jpeg-bangs

It seriously messes with my immersion

I'll have to invent a reason like the vacuum is why jpegs flash out when things get blown up

Psychonauts is amazing.

It's on the US PSN store, don't think it's available on the UK store, though. My official account is with the UK store, and I have a dummy account for the US store.

It's only $5, so if you're desperate, go for it, you can also cash in on the much better sales.

That's awesome. I've got US and Jap PSN accounts but never got around to setting up the billing info. I just used 'em back in the day to get all the exclusive demos that us Brits never had, and still probably don't have haha

Thanks man!

Psychonauts is amazing.

That's awesome. I've got US and Jap PSN accounts but never got around to setting up the billing info. I just used 'em back in the day to get all the exclusive demos that us Brits never had, and still probably don't have haha

Thanks man!

Man, play-asia is your friend here, I used to use Amazon US for US PSN codes, but my card gets blocked now when I attempt it since it's considered irregular.

http://www.play-asia.com/codes.html

All you need to do is confirm your email, otherwise you can just pay via PayPal (no fake billing info required, you can pay with a UK card), and redeem the code on one of the accounts (depending on which you bought).

Edited by NorthernFusion

Guest jasondonervan

From this week's Elite Dangerous newsletter:

"Beta 3’s 2,406 star systems mean it is huge, about five times bigger than Beta 2. Yet it represents only a little over half a millionth of one per cent of the full game"

post-28669-scanners-head-explosion-gif-m

what are some good titles at the wii u e shop : supernintendo.nintendo?

i think i have to pick up super mario world...

Earthbound, and all Donkey Kong Country games.

the new donkey kong any good?