the robot design is crappy. But it is interesting to see how much they pander to the Japanese aesthetic....including the retro car in the first scene, feels very OG Godzilla...

feels like Godzilla for sure, but not like a very high budget 2012 action blockbuster. I expected more epic destruction fx work in this one sort of like 2012 or Transformers 3, but with a much better, script and characters. It's just a trailer, but i am hyper critical

Edited by Awepittance

I find Toro's work, even Pans Labrynth a bit overrated. He is better at art direction / non-english films. That being said that film actually looks like it could be pretty fun, but I am not getting a very good sense of scale from the mechs. Still very early for CG work as it comes out a year from now or something. Looks more interesting than emo/jesus superman movie. Where the heck is Gravity screens/trailer. This film is so secret

“I said, ‘How long?’ And he [Cuaron] said he wanted the first shot to be really long. And I said, ‘You mean, 40 seconds?’ ‘No, 17 minutes.’ So it ends up the film only has 156 shots in the entire two-hour movie, many of them six, eight, ten minutes long.”

This is contrast to your average two hour long Michael Bay movie which has about 1,300-1,500 shots.
Edited by compson

i had such crazy high expectations on beyond the black rainbow, but it turned out to be all flash. the awesome cinematography and music deserved a much better script imo, and the cheesy ending pretty much ruined it for me. might've felt different about it if i hadn't known about the film long before i got to see it though, dunno.

Finally watched this last night and sadly I have to agree. I really wanted to like it. For the first 30 min I kept saying "holy shit this movie looks awesome!" My immersion dropped pretty after that. Then I kept thinking about how a lot of the scenes with Nyle edited down and spliced would make an awesome video for "Shadow from Tartarus" by Actress.

Edited by sweepstakes

Stalker - 10/10

Been meaning to watch this for ages.
It was the same for me. I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes until now - I didn't have the patience for it. But it was certainly worth it. It's a very different, dreamlike film. Kind of like das boot meets alice in radioactive wonderland.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that problem. I knew it would be excellent but I never tried watching it earlier in the day when I'd stay awake.

Stalker is one of my all time favorites. Hypnotic wizardry.

I was just thinking of stalker before I came on watmm a few minutes ago, nice.

i've had that same problem with the dvdrip i watched for the first time, but then i managed to get a proper DVD ISO version that came with a remastered audio soundtrack which is pretty sych, i recomend you all to find this version cause crapy dvdrips are a turn off, specially on old movies...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

Bernie - 8.5/10. Very much enjoyed. Pure Texas hilarity mixed into a good character study, mixed into a 48-hours-style murder story.

Yeah!

It seems WATMM is neglecting to watch this one. :trashbear:

I really liked Bernie. I thought it had a technical edge which most movies lack. Also, come to think of it, Jack Black was great in that one.

i've watched it too, probably my least favorite by linklater. but maybe i'm biased, i don't find jack black funny...

Guest Mirezzi

Interesting. I didn't think Jack Black being "funny" was at all the point of Bernie.

As for Linklater, I think Bernie is his best film, by a considerable margin. Very little of his filmography has held up over time.

1. Bernie

2. Before Sunset

3. A Scanner Darkly

After that, there's really nothing worth discussing. A Scanner Darkly was pretty boring/forgettable.

Edited by The Overlook

Interesting. I didn't think Jack Black being "funny" was at all the point of Bernie.

As for Linklater, I think Bernie is his best film, by a considerable margin. Very little of his filmography has held up over time.

1. Bernie

2. Before Sunset

3. A Scanner Darkly

After that, there's really nothing worth discussing. A Scanner Darkly was pretty boring/forgettable.

yes, but what he does is mostly comedies so... i tend to dislike him cus he's not that funny... bernie was his best role after all...

before sunset... is it at least twice as good as before sunrise? cause damn that was one cheesy/boring movie...

no love for waking life? wtf

Guest Mirezzi

Yeah, Before Sunset was more like...10x better than Before Sunrise.

Waking Life was the equivalent of spending three hours cornered in a crowded coffee shop with a mob of caffeine-addled college freshman, half of them majoring in philosophy and the other half thinking of majoring in philosophy.

Yeah, Before Sunset was more like...10x better than Before Sunrise.

Waking Life was the equivalent of spending three hours cornered in a crowded coffee shop with a mob of caffeine-addled college freshman, half of them majoring in philosophy and the other half thinking of majoring in philosophy.

yes, better than superheroes... it was the 1st time i heard about lucid dreaming and it incite me to try and do it so, there. and it's pretty trippy! it's almost an enter the void made 10 years ago...

Wow, I rewatched it recently and thought the exact same thing! It was so not the smart and deep film I thought it was at 17. But maybe that's what it was, a well-intentioned yet haphazard attempt at an introduction to deep thinking. Still, I liked the crazy poets monologue and the discussion right before the end. Also, the tango music.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

i think waking life still holds up. visually it has some incredible moments. maybe some of the intellectualism has been dulled by our ages i would agree

did everyone forget dazed and confused?

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

1. Bernie

2. Before Sunset

3. A Scanner Darkly

haven't seen bernie or sunset, only about 15 minutes of sunrise, but i think slacker, dazed and confused and suburbia are way better than scanner. but i would rate scanner higher if it wasn't for overdone visuals which add nothing to the movie and only make it uneasy to look at. i saw scanner a week after reading the bok and was like 'eh'.

tape is pretty good too.

but slacker is the best. how can you not love slacker in it's absolute positively pretentious lack of sense? sure it drags at the end but there's still like 90 minutes of top quality material. it's hilariously great figuring-life-out-in-early-20s kind of movie without turning into stupid college movie or lots of poop jokes. no movie i ever saw portrays the confusion of early adult life in more realistic manner without ever really addressing it as an issue.

Stalker - 10/10Been meaning to watch this for ages. It was the same for me. I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes until now - I didn't have the patience for it. But it was certainly worth it. It's a very different, dreamlike film. Kind of like das boot meets alice in radioactive wonderland.

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that problem. I knew it would be excellent but I never tried watching it earlier in the day when I'd stay awake.

i found stalker to be unbearably dull. i sat through it, and was rewarded with... nothing.

A Scanner Darkly may not be that great of a film, but it will be remembered as being the most accurate adaptation of a Philip K Dick book brought to film. Havent seen bernie

I loved the book and I really didn't like the movie. I understand why they made the choices they did in making it but it just didn't capture the vibe at all to me. I thought the book was a lot sexier, at least in the beginning.

Stalker - 10/10Been meaning to watch this for ages. It was the same for me. I couldn't get past the first 30 minutes until now - I didn't have the patience for it. But it was certainly worth it. It's a very different, dreamlike film. Kind of like das boot meets alice in radioactive wonderland.

i found stalker to be unbearably dull. i sat through it, and was rewarded with... nothing.

through stalker? are you sure it was the same stalker?