Snow White & the Huntsman - 5/10 decent visuals but Kristen Stewart is the worst actress in Hollywood.

looked good mostly but also had some of the worst cgi i've seen in ages. and i kept saying to my mrs how bad a fit stewart was as the supposed "fairest in the land". she uuuuuuugly!

Guest Mirezzi

Fake PM to the Overlook: As resident guy with Jack Torrance avatar, which version of The Shining do you prefer? Extended American cut or streamlined UK cut?

I haven't seen the UK version, but I'm trying to test a hypothesis that people prefer the version they saw initially.

Also, there is a Kubrick exhibit at LACMA which I might be interested in seeing only for some of the still/production photos. Anyone gone? Is it a total circle-jerk? Looks like it's screening Barry Lyndon this Saturday.

I have not seen the European edit of the film, but I can't for the life of me imagine cutting out 20 minutes of the film and enjoying it as much.

Guest Mirezzi

Snow White & the Huntsman - 5/10 decent visuals but Kristen Stewart is the worst actress in Hollywood.

looked good mostly but also had some of the worst cgi i've seen in ages. and i kept saying to my mrs how bad a fit stewart was as the supposed "fairest in the land". she uuuuuuugly!

Totally. Ugly is stretching it, but charmless and annoying, definitely.

I thought Alison Brie would have been a good choice, but then again, the movie sucked so it would have been wasted.

Fake PM to the Overlook: As resident guy with Jack Torrance avatar, which version of The Shining do you prefer? Extended American cut or streamlined UK cut?

I haven't seen the UK version, but I'm trying to test a hypothesis that people prefer the version they saw initially.

Also, there is a Kubrick exhibit at LACMA which I might be interested in seeing only for some of the still/production photos. Anyone gone? Is it a total circle-jerk? Looks like it's screening Barry Lyndon this Saturday.

I have not seen the European edit of the film, but I can't for the life of me imagine cutting out 20 minutes of the film and enjoying it as much.

Same here. Although the room full of skeletons seems to be an uncontroversial cut.

Beyond the black rainbow 9/10

One of the best movies I've seen in a long while.

As a science fiction film, it would have been absolutely incredible. It changed a lot by the end though... and my rating went up and down a few times. The concepts were really far out for a lot of it, which makes me happy. It was truly approaching 2001 levels of greatness for a few stretches, in the way it handled the serious subject matter. I wish there were more movies like this.

It dropped off considerably during a few portions... not sure why directors these days need to make everything some sort of pastiche. This would have worked better as a serious film. It's still a great movie... but some of the murder scenes were tiresome. I think it's actually about a delusional/schizophrenic cult leader, judging by the shot after the credits, if you watch till there. Which is sad, considering how fascinating some of the "alien technology" scenes were. I still doubt that it's that simple.

i had such crazy high expectations on beyond the black rainbow, but it turned out to be all flash. the awesome cinematography and music deserved a much better script imo, and the cheesy ending pretty much ruined it for me. might've felt different about it if i hadn't known about the film long before i got to see it though, dunno.

i had such crazy high expectations on beyond the black rainbow, but it turned out to be all flash. the awesome cinematography and music deserved a much better script imo, and the cheesy ending pretty much ruined it for me. might've felt different about it if i hadn't known about the film long before i got to see it though, dunno.

agreed

the ending seemed like an after thought and a bit cheezy/rushed/not thought out ,

but i still liked it for the sound design and all analog synth soundtrack as well as the visual impact of the first 3/4's of it.

Agreed, basically. If I went into it expecting Kubrick level cinema, I would have been disappointed. I went into it expecting Enter the Void level cinema, and I think it exceeded that slightly, or at least was in the same ballpark. Within the context of the past 5 years or so, I think it's an outstanding film. I'd take it over Drive. Within the context of the past 50 years, it's just another example of this generation of film basically, for whatever reason, failing to reach the levels of artistry seen with Kubrick. I really don't understand why more movies like 2001 aren't made. Cold (as in, clinical... which is a good thing in movies...), analytical, and free. I'm not "hollywood" buff, but you'd think more artists would want to flex their muscles and surpass the giants, instead of just paying homage to them. I did get the sense that Drive+ETBR are a new kind of filmmaking that goes beyond "homage." Still, I desire something stronger than even these films.

I suspect that this director has very great things ahead of him. For a debut, this is on the level of something like Pi. (although that's one of my favorite movies of all time... people hating on Clint Mansell got it all somewhat wrong)

Edited by vamos scorcho

Perfect. My thoughts exactly.

Adaptation and Bringing out the dead.

I'm upgrading my score of Black Rainbow to 9.5 out of 10, and separating myself from people who were disappointed in it. On reflection, it's a legitimately great film with some minor flaws.

edit: maybe not. who knows. i have no strong opinion

Did everyone see the last shot that played after the end credits?

Edited by vamos scorcho

no what was it?

also: in my opinion a film like 'beyond the black rainbow' doesn't try to excel in creating a cohesive film; I think it belongs to a breed of filmmaking that is indulgently trading form for a fetishistic focus on the moment. Like, it wants to create such a well crafted aesthetic space that you can kind of melt in it. This is not to say that the plot was some kind of dispensible item, in fact I found the slow pace of her escape to be extremely exhilarating. I kind of wish the movie was longer and more time was spent in that space, though.

The last shot of the film was

an action figure lying on the ground, there's a TV flickering on the carpet that you don't see... it's an action figure of one of the "Semionauts" or whatever... those tall things with the masks, with the baby faces inside of them. The baby face could be imagined to be like a doll or something, now that I think about it.

this is pretty good:

http://cinemabeans.blogspot.com/2012/05/beyond-black-rainbow-or-hypnotizing.html