chaosmachine

78 members have voted

1. 1. who's gonna win?

• Obama
    • Romney

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will be an interesting test to see if Obama lets the Justice Department go after these states after they passed legalization especially now since he doesn't have to worry about getting reelected

not great news for California, Prop 37 didn't pass. Prop 35 passed making the penalties much higher for prostitution. The only good news is that the 3rd strikes law revision might pass

Marijuana legal in Washington... 'tis a good day. Maybe Vibert will come here now...

Yeah I heard. My brother's there in Seattle now and said everyone was cheering. I was down there myself recently, visiting my dad in the hospital. And he's gonna be out of there, fully recovered in a few days. Another bit of good news.

I planned on moving to WA by next spring anyway.

Well, the American electorate did a good choice and Obama won handily. It also looks like the Dems will be getting some more seats in the Senate. The least the new term for Obama will do is make sure that some reasonable supreme justices can be appointed if needed.

The pundit talk seems to be about how the GOP is at the risk to fall into irrelevancy in the future with the shifting demographics. I wonder what they'll do, so far they've kept going to a more conservative side and let the fringe lunatics control their platform, will this defeat make a difference?

The pundit talk seems to be about how the GOP is at the risk to fall into irrelevancy in the future with the shifting demographics. I wonder what they'll do, so far they've kept going to a more conservative side and let the fringe lunatics control their platform, will this defeat make a difference?

they at least need to amend themselves to include the Hispanic vote. People aren't going to vote for a party that believes they are second-class citizens, regardless of how sound their platform claims to be.

Well, the American electorate did a good choice and Obama won handily. It also looks like the Dems will be getting some more seats in the Senate. The least the new term for Obama will do is make sure that some reasonable supreme justices can be appointed if needed.

When all else fails, this is why I tell myself it was ok to vote for him instead of a third party candidate.

Also, I hope he fucking grows a pair and starts voicing support for decriminalization of weed. I know changes on the foreign policy/civil liberties are negligible at best, but in just about every other regard I hope (lol, "hope") his win will finally push back some of the resurgence in conservatism and ignorant populism that emerged after 2008 on all levels. I have an odd feeling that once 2012 ends without the world ending a lot of subconscious anti-liberal, anti-government, and anti-Obama hysteria will also disappear.

The GOP is going to implode at some point. It's inevitable They've managed to keep the establishment figures in control by cleverly re-appropriating the anger of the Tea Party movement, even managed to strip it's libertarian and true "limited government" ideals and inject the social conservative views of the religious right into the "Tea Party" movement. GOP leaders who had been in office since the 90s founded PACs for astroturf funding. They successfully forced out moderate Republicans who didn't reject compromise and voted in candidates simply for not having government experience.

After 2010 I think and more so after this election voters will figure out just how superficial the party really is. They'll realize that the anti-spending, anti-government rhetoric is just code for deregulation for corporations and special interests. Some will finally realize you can't get rid of debt by cutting taxes yet not cutting social security/medicare (which the GOP fiercely defends in order to maintain votes from the elderly and retired) or defense spending, which is over half the US budget. There is a huge irony that GOP presidents like Reagan, both Bushes, Nixon, and especially Eisenhower, never cut or eliminated government programs - the worst of them did damage through deregulation and tax cuts. None of them could of run in 2012, with their historical positions, and won the GOP nomination. I personally think the party is going to split, a fringe group of ultra-conservative populists on one end and the moderates on the other. Regardless of wins out internally the party is going to lose a lot of power. Maybe it'll force the Democratic party to re-evaluate its political views, or maybe it'll have a lot of moderate Republicans try to join. I dunno...I just want the two-party system to end. Bring on multi-party system and/or more independent legislators. Is there any good example of two-party systems imploding, civilly, into something more ideal? I can only think of the systems in the UK and Mexico, and their two-party systems are equally depressing, though even they gained a viable third party option in the last couple decades. meh. I dunno, fuck it I'm getting sleepy...

/rant

without the almost complete collapse of the old guard Dem/Rep dichotomy, we would have never had an era of reformist/progressivist Presidents.

again, the importance of third parties isn't only the idea of your man winning the Presidency, but that if there is strong enough representation within that platform, the major parties will shift to cater these moving trends......i think with occupy/tea party and all that, the two parties are eventually going to have to rearrange their approach or risk a very slow decline into...???

Guest ZeroHour

Does anyone know when the next time is that states can vote on issues like cannabis and such? Next november right? It'll be interesting to see how the feds approach washington and colorado, especially if more states legalise/medicalise in 2013

Archived