IGNORED

Where would you like to live?

zkom

Yeah, London is probably not my choice.

My plan was to seek out the job first and then move in. I've been in contact with Danish and German SW engineers and they have pretty basic education. I don't know if they are stricter when you are an immigrant.

Basically what I was counting on a little bit was that I would work for some multinational company so that their main language would be English. So not knowing local languages would not be such a problem in getting the job.

I'm not specifically looking for capitals but I'm looking for cities big enough to keep me entertained. I've been to Berlin twice and I really liked it. Also my cousin lives there so she could maybe help if some problems come along. Also I've been to Copenhagen and Amsterdam, liked both obviously. :happy:

I've also been to Vienna but I felt the people were a bit anti-social or something over there. I don't know how to put it really. Like everybody was really rude. Nice city otherwise.

As I said, these could be just specific cases I talked about, and it's probably easier to get a job elsewhere when you look good enough.

I'm planning to move out too. I've been in London for 10 days, which I believe wasn't enough time to experience everything, but I liked it there. I absolutely fell in love with Tate Modern and the vibe that surrounds it. Also the multiculturality and random people I met are also kind and fun, but that may be just a 'surface' experience. Lots of people came back from London because of sheer ruthless competitiveness (their words, not mine) on every imaginable field of work. This can be understood, as there ARE lots of people and everyone wants to become successful. I still think that London would be great to have an office there, and keep business flowing, once you make a name for yourself elsewhere.

I've been to Berlin twice. The first time it was about six years ago, and I think I liked it more at that time, than the last year I visited. The fast change the city lived through the last couple of years is staggering. I love the city, and I had the best time there probably. I had an interview for three job openings, but they all required me to speak fluent german language. I do speak german, but not so well as to be confident in business correspondence. What I didn't like about that change is there are many hipsters (no need for anyone to feel offended) there now, who think they're making some new-age alternative society. I mean, it's lovely that they all live together and help each other, and are creative and all, but the way they do 'business' is the same way what they critisize about in 'western capitalist countries'. Like selling severly overpriced second-hand gear and clothes (which they obtain for no money at all), building importance on specific brand (whether be it for clothing or gadgets or whatever), the work is usually shallow, and little if any essence to elaborate about when it comes to art in particular, as well as being petty arrogant about any competition that may arise... Again, that's just my experience of several particular places I've been to and knowing the people there (mainly Neukoln area).

Other than that I think Berlin is wonderful if you happen to connect with people who are right up your alley (so to speak). I think it's never a good idea to migrate just because your home country is not providing you with the standard you require. Of course that could be the main reason to do so, but I believe one's work (and a healthy attitude towards it), and good relations to people is something that should be emphasized throughout one's life, and you could 'make it' just about everywhere you choose to go.

I choose Vienna. I've been there many times and I know some really nice people there. What I like most about it is their rich and diverse culture, as well as being a quaint city with rich history and knowledge, as well as being relatively near the country side (and mountains) which is very important to me. It is rather close to my home city, as well as bigger metropolas.

It would be nice to see Reykyavik, Dublin, and Oslo some time in the future too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cape Town or San Francisco

My boss just asked me if I wanted to go to Cape Town next year. Perfect.

what appeals to you about cape town? i know nothing about it.

A girl, work, and people I know there.

your boss browses watmm

Are you my boss, Ludd?

Guest Frankie5fingers

these are the places abroad that i wouldnt mind living

1.Sweeden

2.Germany

3.Japan

4.Hong Kong or Beijing (i will not live anywhere else in China)

but if i stay in America my choices would be job related, however i hear they are nice places to live.

1.Seattle, Washington

2.Washington D.C.

Anybody from Europe or USA ever been an ex-pat, foreign exchange student or similar in S.E. Asia? I met some foreign exchange students from Canada and Germany living in Bangkok when I was in Thailand. Even though they found it a pretty hectic place they seemed to like it.

I've been to Thailand, Laos and Vietnam as a backpacker and liked them for a short period, but living there for like two years would probably make my head explode. Or so it feels. It would be too much for my Scandinavian nature.

Well, I could always go there, see much how can I take and come back near the Arctic circle living as a hermit.

I think it's never a good idea to migrate just because your home country is not providing you with the standard you require. Of course that could be the main reason to do so, but I believe one's work (and a healthy attitude towards it), and good relations to people is something that should be emphasized throughout one's life, and you could 'make it' just about everywhere you choose to go.

I would be mostly doing it for the experience when I still have a chance. I have to say that I'm lucky in a way that Finland supplies me a plenty as far as living standards go. I have no economic incentive to move out. I would probably be worse off economically in case I migrated.

Anyway, if it was a totally horrible experience I could always come back no problem (unless I got killed or something but that can happen here also). If it turned out to be the best thing I did in my life then even better.

California (probably Northern California somewhere)

Cornwall (near my mate Harry who lives in Falmouth)

London (live here already but if I didn't I'd definitely want to)

Crete (I really like Crete, been a few times and would consider buying a place out there if i had the money...bit of a shit choice lol, dunno just like the place)

Greenland (i have a fantasy of living in some bio-dome type place surrounded by snow and ice, and making wicked music while there's a huge blizzard going on outside)

Cape Town (lived here for about 2 years when i was like 18 - 20ish; awesome city, wicked people, very nice wine - i had a job driving a tour bus around the Cape wine estates, got to know a few people involved in the business and sampled quite a lot of excellent wine)

Guest onesixoneight

San Francisco would be my ideal place to live. I love that city. Even with the 'overdue earthquake from hell' hanging over it its got an energy that really appeals to me.

your boss browses watmm

Are you my boss, Ludd?

i like to watch

your boss browses watmm

Are you my boss, Ludd?

i like to watch

*cries and drops pants*

Wales or Cornwall, because I am kind of a loner, so I like rural places, and being in the UK within a reasonable distance of London would be really handy as a creator & fan of electronic music.

Scotland would be good too, even though it's a different scene.

No matter where I go, though, I will always have a great fondness for the Pacific Northwest. IMO it has the most beautiful nature you can find, and there is nothing that lives here that can kill you, unlike in 90% of the rest of the rainforests of the world.

If I move again, I'll be going to New York or out of the country. Maybe Berlin.

I applied for a job with Native Instruments, so the latter may be attainable.

Wouldn't mind living in Sapporo again. I'm actually considering Seattle next year though.

I would like to visit Switzerland, the UK, Germany, South Africa, and South Korea. Haven't been yet though.

San Francisco, CA and its more maritimey environs

Portland, Maine, which is underrated and tiny

Quebec City

Multiple locations in Hawaii

I can't live too far inland, it creeps me out.

edit: I'm limiting myself to choosing places I've already been because otherwise what the fuck do I know?

edit: shit, but launch me to Mars. I forgot that I've committed to dying on Mars.

pitcairn island—I actually have a plan to show up there, and get on everyone's nerves until they force me to leave. After that I will head to palau or pohnpei.

I've always been curious about visiting places like Tristan Da Cuhna and St Helena as well.

I can't live too far inland, it creeps me out.

It depends. Tibet and Central Asia fascinate me...Nebraska not so much...

Archived